Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #15

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Like Gem said give us a list of things that they have repaired and then we can help more. we can tell you where to look, (you will see a new part or dirt that has been distrubed to fix the problem) or how to do a function test to ensure it has been fixed.
You can ask the inspection how it should work and what the problem was with it for them to red flag it.

RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
I spoke to dealer a bit ago and offered to type up the lost of items that, based on the other service center findings, they agreed to do. I asked about the length of time on the warrantee they have on their service wirk and was told they dont have one. That this is what the extended warranty on the coach us for. They say the do walk thru of the coach before I sign any papers. They guy tells me what they did, so I can see it. But not standard for them to put it in writing although said they wouldnt have any problem if we did.

Dont have the full list with me but some of the findings were things like cleaning and spot sealing roof, leaks in hydraulic hwh pump (?), another leak in one of the bays ( likely slide) and other things Ill have to add here later when I get home

Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Homeless, wasn't expecting that reply, that was funny!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Here is the list that the dealer said they would fix out of the list - those items with a (?) we've not resolved yet on if they are fixing or not. The tires** they are not replacing, they have good tread and no dry rot but are 7 yrs old. I know I need to replace them :(

Low water alarm due to: Surge tank cracked - Coolant tank
Step in-operable
Window awning fabrics cracking (?) (they may only do those over the slides, not the shade one)
Struts front hood weak (?) Not sure what this one is, front hood is where generator is.
3 Hydrolic lines leaking HWH Pump
Level Sensor out of level
Screen door latch bent came apart
Missing Key for drivers door
Hydrolyic leak Bay 2PS
Clean and treat roof - Spot Seal roof
Bed deck reinforcement broken (?)
Water heater bypass valve bad/check valves
Tires are over 6 years old**

I gave them my typed up copy of the Coach PDI today. Owner was out of town, will have him sign that after he gets back.

Some of these are easy for me to tell if they were done (ie: step in-operable) others not so sure about. Thanks for any tips!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #19

Ok I'm going to throw a horror story out here. I recently bought a slightly used 2013 Entegra and when talking to the dealership the salesman told me all service had been done vby previous owner. (the coach was there on consignment). Well when we were doing the inspection it was obvious the service hadn't been done.
Long story short I posted on here about how much I loved the coach but was disappointed about the service. The previous owner contacted and assured me it had been done and he'd paid major money and driven an extra distance to a reputable dealer. (he's a great guy BTW). Well when I told him the oil filter and the fuel filter had so much engine paint on them we had to call Cummings to get the right numbers. He was pretty upset. He also called and told me he had taken his new coach for some alignment work (before we talked) and it wasn't right took it some place else and again they hadn't done a thing.
So your right to try and figure out how to check what they did.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
Here is the list that the dealer said they would fix out of the list - those items with a (?) we've not resolved yet on if they are fixing or not. The tires** they are not replacing, they have good tread and no dry rot but are 7 yrs old. I know I need to replace them :(

Low water alarm due to: Surge tank cracked - Coolant tank
Step in-operable
Window awning fabrics cracking (?) (they may only do those over the slides, not the shade one)
Struts front hood weak (?) Not sure what this one is, front hood is where generator is.
3 Hydrolic lines leaking HWH Pump
Level Sensor out of level
Screen door latch bent came apart
Missing Key for drivers door
Hydrolyic leak Bay 2PS
Clean and treat roof - Spot Seal roof
Bed deck reinforcement broken (?)
Water heater bypass valve bad/check valves
Tires are over 6 years old**

I gave them my typed up copy of the Coach PDI today. Owner was out of town, will have him sign that after he gets back.

Some of these are easy for me to tell if they were done (ie: step in-operable) others not so sure about. Thanks for any tips!
OK coolant tank fixed. This is a major item also expensive. If it is on the list to be repaired there is only one repair for this replace it. If they do that it will look like a new plastic tank.

window awnings cracking. If they are cracked you can see them when they are out. Raise cain and get them to replace the shade one that costs a lot more because of the size.

Not sure what you mean by step in ? Is that the door steps and are they in ? Easy to tell if they are working or not. turn the switch on and see if they come out. they will either work with the door when open out when closed in. Or if disable switch is made will stay out whether door is open or not. If disable switch is made and stays out with door closed then turn the ignition key to the on position and see if they come in. If they do not come in then have them fix this it is a safety issue so that you do not hit something and rip them off if you forget to bring them in or even worse are driving in town and hit someone standing on a sidewalk.

3 hydraulic lines leaking HWH. HWH is the company that makes your coach levelers with lines leaking your coach can be leveled and then gradually leak off and cause problems from that. Has to be fixed. Move the coach to a spot that is dry underneath the bus and enable the leveling sequence look under the bus front and back to see if you see anything leaking ( should be hydraulic fluid)

Level sensor out of level. DO NOT DO THE HYDRAULIC leak test until you have this fixed. If level sensor not level and brings your coach up wrong you can break the front window among other damage. IF it is a one piece window those are about 3000.00 to replace.

Screen door latch broken and missing key. They should fix those and self evident how to check.

Hydraulic leak bay. Any hydraulic leaks should be fixed. See what those hydraulic systems are driving whether it is leveler Jacks or slides. wipe off any fluid on any areas you see leaking until it is dry. Operate the device again jacks or slides if you have hydraulic slides. and then go back to check and see if their is any fluid there. If you don't see any. Run the equipment two or three times. Again do not mess with leveling system until level sensor is repaired/ aligned.

Get something in writing to show roof leaks fixed Ask them where they were fixed and then get on roof or get someone to do that and measure where the repairs were made. Make a map of the roof and mark the location and sizes of repairs. Keep this map. When you get in heavy rain check for leaks if you find any get fixed. If fix is in area that you mapped as repaired then dealer should pay for those leaks.

What do you mean by bed deck reinforcement. Is that the actual area the mattress is laying on. IF so they should fix that is not a big deal to fix I would not imagine.

Heater bypass valve bad and check valves bad this is a major fix. Depending on what is bad you can get in a situation where you hook up to city water. The check valve allows water to backflow into your fresh water tank and the next thing you know you have water running out of your tank into the wet area of your coach. Not a good thing. The water heater bypass valve is used when you prepare your coach for winter storage. If you do not have a bypass valve and you put antifreeze in you will have to fill the heater with it and that is going to be another 6 to 10 gallons of antifreeze. With the bypass valve you can turn it to bypass mode the antifreeze bypasses the water heater and fills up the hot water lines. You pull the drain plug out of the water heater and let the water in it drain out that is the basics of winterizing it for storage.

TIRES- One of the oldest running disagreements on this forum I believe. I will tell you what I did and I do not recommend following my lead. The safest way is to replace them. My coach had 29,000 miles on it when I bought it. The tread was in great shape no weather cracks. But the tires were 7 years old. I worried about the front tires because I believe if you have a blow out on the front you are going to have a serious wreck. I replaced both of them and had the tire dealer inspect them internally. They did not find any cracks or problem with them. The back tires if one of them blows are going to tear stuff up but it is not as likely to be life threatening. I bought a tire monitor for about 1/3 the price of one tire. The monitor monitors pressure and temperature. I believe that if you get an internal crack n the tire the crack will cause flexing which will bring the tire temp up really fast I check for any outside cracks and the monitor looks for temp spikes. I believe this will cover me on any issues with using the back tires. Once again I am not recommending this it is just what I chose to do because I did not want to spend 3000.00 on tires that did not appear to need changed.

This is my two cents worth I am sure other people will have other ideas and maybe a lot better method of how to check the repairs. Look at the other ideas and pick the ones you understand the best.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Wowzer! Thanks for all the great info! You're right, some things will be easier to tell than others - like the new tank, if the step goes in/out when supposed to etc... I'm sure I can see those easy

You had a few questions in there so let me reply to those...
- On the step: yes that refers to it not going in/out when supposed to but I will check to see if there is some sort of disable switch to be sure. I saw the rig today and the door was closed but the step was out.

- 3 hydraulic lines leaking HWH: Good idea on moving the coach to a dry spot to look for leaks underneath after they are lowered - will any leaking occur relatively quickly if they are still faulty?

- Level sensor out of level: I can definitely ask if the sensor has been recalibrated b efore running the leak test. My only concern about the issues you raise on lowering jacks prior to this fix taking place - is that I know the jacks have been up and down numerous times since it was at the dealership - I'm not sure what I can do about that one. The front window looks just fine, not sure what other issues I should look for?

- For the hydraulic leak in the bay: (presumed to be a slide) assuming they fixed it, there shouldn't be any fluid for me to initially wipe away right? I can run the slide in/out several time though - then check for any fluids

- Roof: The techs that did the inspection didn't say they found roof leaks just that the roof needed to be cleaned and Spot sealed. But I will ask where the spot sealing was done and try to get up there to look at it. (not really afraid of heights

- Bed deck reinforcement - yes its my understanding that it is the support under the mattress. I'm waiting till owner back on Monday to see if they fill fix this.

- Awnings: they initially told me that they wouldn't fix anything that was cosmetic. I argued that the awnings over the slides were not cosmetic. Those may be the only ones they replace.

- Water heater - how would I know if they replaced the valve? Water would not run into the hot water heater and out the drain? I'm also not clear on what this means "The check valve allows water to backflow into your fresh water tank and the next thing you know you have water running out of your tank into the wet area of your coach" What is considered the "wet area of your coach" the sink/shower?

- They need to do a full water system/plumbing check as the other service place didn't do this. (rig is winterized) but I'll have them leave it UN winterized and keep a ceramic heater in the enclosed tank areas as I'm going to use the coach over the winter to train the dogs to it.

- I know I'm going to have to buy new tires all around... :( I'm already looking at posts related to tires and finding best prices (such an awesome resource iRV2 is!)

THANKYOU for all your wonderful information!!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
Wowzer! Thanks for all the great info! You're right, some things will be easier to tell than others - like the new tank, if the step goes in/out when supposed to etc... I'm sure I can see those easy

You had a few questions in there so let me reply to those...
- On the step: yes that refers to it not going in/out when supposed to but I will check to see if there is some sort of disable switch to be sure. I saw the rig today and the door was closed but the step was out.

- 3 hydraulic lines leaking HWH: Good idea on moving the coach to a dry spot to look for leaks underneath after they are lowered - will any leaking occur relatively quickly if they are still faulty?

- Level sensor out of level: I can definitely ask if the sensor has been recalibrated b efore running the leak test. My only concern about the issues you raise on lowering jacks prior to this fix taking place - is that I know the jacks have been up and down numerous times since it was at the dealership - I'm not sure what I can do about that one. The front window looks just fine, not sure what other issues I should look for?

- For the hydraulic leak in the bay: (presumed to be a slide) assuming they fixed it, there shouldn't be any fluid for me to initially wipe away right? I can run the slide in/out several time though - then check for any fluids

- Roof: The techs that did the inspection didn't say they found roof leaks just that the roof needed to be cleaned and Spot sealed. But I will ask where the spot sealing was done and try to get up there to look at it. (not really afraid of heights

- Bed deck reinforcement - yes its my understanding that it is the support under the mattress. I'm waiting till owner back on Monday to see if they fill fix this.

- Awnings: they initially told me that they wouldn't fix anything that was cosmetic. I argued that the awnings over the slides were not cosmetic. Those may be the only ones they replace.

- Water heater - how would I know if they replaced the valve? Water would not run into the hot water heater and out the drain? I'm also not clear on what this means "The check valve allows water to backflow into your fresh water tank and the next thing you know you have water running out of your tank into the wet area of your coach" What is considered the "wet area of your coach" the sink/shower?

- They need to do a full water system/plumbing check as the other service place didn't do this. (rig is winterized) but I'll have them leave it UN winterized and keep a ceramic heater in the enclosed tank areas as I'm going to use the coach over the winter to train the dogs to it.

- I know I'm going to have to buy new tires all around... :( I'm already looking at posts related to tires and finding best prices (such an awesome resource iRV2 is!)

THANKYOU for all your wonderful information!!
Ok, these are good questions.

1. If the window had a problem it would be cracked or out of the frame. Look all the way around it and make sure it is not sticking out somewhere around the inside and outside
If the level sensor is just not level that will probably not cause other problems than the roof. Someone else might chime in here with better information on that. If you have a big problem with leveling worst case scenario would be twisting the frame. NOt sure how you would check for that other than would probably drive strange and show non uniform tire wear. But I hope someone else can add more information about this.

2 Steps them being out is probably not a cause for alarm. depending on the coach there will be switches for turning on outside door light maybe awnings things like that. There will be a switch somewhere and probably with the ones I mentioned that says something about steps. I think on my tiffin it says steps enable. The purpose of it is so you do not have to wait for the steps to come out everytime you go in and out the door when you are parked. The easiest way to find out if the steps are working is to turn the ignition key to the on position. If steps are working correctly this will bring them in. It is a safety issue and if they are going to work this is when they should come in.

Water Heater bypass valve. Turn to bypass. pull water heater drain plug out and let the water out. turn on pump or hook to city water etc. If bypass valve not working water will come out of hole where drain plug is. If bypass working you will have water under pressure out of the sink faucett but none out of the water heater draing plug hole.

Let me try to explain backflow. Your coach has two ways of getting water to the sink. one is by the water pump from the fresh water tank. the other is through the city water connection with the valve in the city position. Both of these ways have a common point where the water goes to the sink. Check valves only allow water to go in one direction. If you have water going from the city water to the common point for the sink you do not want that water going back through the pump and into the fresh water tank. You do that with a check valve. If that check valve is working it stops water from going back into the tank. If the check valve is bad and allowing water through it then the entire time you have city water on you are filling your tank. It does not take a tank long to fill up all of the way. When it is full it drains out of the vent tube at the top of the tank. And by drain I mean it is coming out at full city water pressure. The wet bay area is the area under the tanks. If you flood this area out enough time it will rot out and then you have an expensive problem. You also get to explain why there is water running out of your coach and all over the ground.

Hydraulic leaks. If it is just a very small seepage it might not show up very quickly. Hydraulic leaks by the nature of the pressure they are under usually show up rather fast so should not be a long time showing up. I do not know if your slides are hydraulic or electric. The hydraulic bay area is I am assuming where the hydraulic pump and motor are located. If you have hydraulic slides then you can move them in and out. If this is where the hydraulic pump and motor in then just moving the jacks up and down will check for any leaks there. I assume you only have one hydraulic motor and pump for any hydraulic needs. All of the coaches I have seen only have one. If it is repaired should not be any fluid to wipe up. If they did not do a good cleanup there might be. that is why I advised clean first if any fluid present then run hydraulics and check.

Sleeping reinforcement should not be a big fix. I am thinking is only a board running accross or lengthwise. I would get them to fix it if possible but should be easily fixed otherwise. Do not hold me to this one. My coach is three hours away at a campground we drove the toad home for thanksgiving then going back to the campground tomorrow. I cannot look to see how it is actually made but I have a dim memory of seeing something like that when I put stuff under there for storage.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Thank you so much! I'm printing all this off and taking with me when I go to do my inspection. The rig goes in for the chassis PDI on Weds/Thurs fingers crossed there isn't anything major as the dealer I'm buying from doesn't do service on chassis. If it looks good though, I'm thinking of having the service center it's at, do the oil change on the rig and generator. That way I have that all out of the way and starting fresh. Anyone think I should wait till I own the rig before having this done?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not going to try to read all this, but will say > something brought these items to your attention to begin with. Go back and check to make sure something was done to that item. It might take more than one trip. Don't accept delivery until it is like you want. If you have bought before all the 'make it right' items are finished then I expect you will just have to trust them
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #25

Is there someone that you can take along with you that can assist you with your inspection ? Being it is your first I would want someone there that has experience that during your walk through you can ask "How" things were corrected/repaired/replaced and if you have an Ipad "Take Video"
Your best frind in this procedure is going to be paper trail on what you wanted done and what they did or did not do !
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Is there someone that you can take along with you that can assist you with your inspection ? Being it is your first I would want someone there that has experience that during your walk through you can ask "How" things were corrected/repaired/replaced and if you have an Ipad "Take Video"
Your best frind in this procedure is going to be paper trail on what you wanted done and what they did or did not do !
AMEN. The better paper trail you have the more protection in case things go wrong in the future. I think that there was some mention in the beginning about they did not want to document anything. There is something wrong with that. If they do not want to document anything it means they are worried for some reason. I have read your posts and it looks like you have not purchased this unit yet. If they are not willing to document what they have fixed I would be reluctant to finish the purchase. IF they replace parts someone has to pay for them and there will be an invoice of the work and the labor. You need this documentation. Lets say for instance they replace one of the air conditioners. This unit has a 1 year warranty. IF it quits working within that year how will you prove it is under warranty. If you do not have someone to go with you do you have someone you can call to ask questions.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #27

i like to ask for old parts and some times pics and OR in righting to you can keep a copy of what has been done for the next RV owner

iin righting just ask for what they did and how they fixed it after some thing like that you can make track and see if it was every play with / worked on
Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Smile

Thanks for all the new replies! It helps a ton!

I'm ensuring a paper trail and just today got a signed document showing the fixes they promised to do from the coach inspection. I'll also request the full service and parts documents. He also provided a 90 day warrantee on the work they will be performing (makes me feel better).

Talking to the sales person is nutty because nothing he ever says makes me feel comfortable, (like he had told me that they don't do warrantees on their service) talking to the owner is much better.

I'll see if there is someone I can ask to come with me for the final walk thru and check but he's a senior gentleman that hasn't been feeling well. He is the only mechanic I know personally. I'll try though Otherwise the video idea is a good one.

We're expecting REALLY COLD weather in tonite and rest of this week, the rig was just dropped off for the Chassis PDI tonite - so maybe I'll have some results on that one sometime tomorrow. The Dealer I'm buying from doesn't not have a chassis service department so if something needs to be fixed in that area, I'm not sure how to handle that one. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!