Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
... and why this is labeled "Truth about seat belts", I have not idea.

Ed
Mainly, because I was looking for truthful answers about members' seatbelt use, and not politically correct responses. What I read and what I see out there on the road seem polar opposite!

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #16

Its a matter of risk assessment. Is sky diving necessary? Mt climbing? jumping dirt bikes? Snow skiing? Can you be injured or killed doing these activities? Should the government ban such activities? Should we just sit home and do nothing? I bought an RV because I wanted the family to enjoy traveling and being belted down to a chair or couch is not very enjoyable. (I know neither is being in a wheelchair so save it).
I drove semi and dump trucks and was involved in an accident as well as saw other accidents. The typical car/truck weighing in at 4 to 6k lbs has little chance against a 33 to 35k lbs RV. When I was hit driving a 27k lb truck I hardly knew I was rearended. Felt like a kid kicking the back of my seat. But did an enormous amount of damage to the car. Wasn't wearing my seat belt then either. Yea lots of what ifs could happen we could hit another RV or a semi or a bridge or a tree or roll down a cliff. But again back to risk assessment and although I don't let them walk around and treat it basically like a school bus where they must stay seated I don't require them to wear belts. The government doesn't seem to be too concerned about the safety going back and forth to school every day for 180 days a year. The dozen trips a year we take ill take the same risk. Ok let the flogging begin.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

My thinking is, if you have a bad enough accident, seat belts probably aren't going to save you. If you roll that thing, or hit a tree or something else really solid, most RVs are going to disintegrate. I would not expect a seat belt to save you in a rollover accident while driving an RV. I could see the seats ripping out of the floor and the sidewalls separating from the floor.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

It is very simple.

I secure all of the contents so there are no projectiles.

I certainly dont want an unsecured loved one to become a projectile.

All it takes is one hard stop.

Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #19

I travel regularly with the DW, 3 kids and grandparents. Everyone is belted 95% of the time. Exceptions are potty breaks or an adult getting something for the toddler, who is in a child seat.

As an aside, the inability to use child seats in many RV's is very annoying and dangerous. When our youngest was an infant, we had to put the rear-facing seat in the passenger seat if our class C with the airbag turned off. It would be nice if manufacturers as least made a decent solution and orderable option.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
By law only the one in the driver's seat and the front passenger seat must be belted. Double check those other seat belts and I bet some of those say that they are not rated for crashes or something to that effect and to not rely on them in case of being hit.

Thom is the driver and yes is belted. I am the passenger and I am belted if I am sitting in the front seat. Yes I get up to go to the bathroom when I have to, which sometimes can be 10 times in an hour. Yes I get up to get us refills on our drinks or something to eat while he is driving. As for any other passengers? Right now it's just the cat and he sleeps on the dash while going down the road. (looking for someone to adopt him thou) Any other adults? Not yet but they can sit in the coach where they want. If it was Lisa, our granddaughter, then I would have her sit in the front seat belted in. If she's there she's then next to Mudd (grandpa) and she just loves her Mudd.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All occupants are belted in including our GSDs to the extent that the are in a crate and the crate is anchored down.

Can stuff go flying out of the cabinets? Absolutely! Can stuff on the counter top fly off? Certainly. We do the best we can to minimize both.

At the end of the day it is about limiting risks. No immediate risk in lying in bed all day long.

BTW...Sandee and I have an agreement on her moving around without a belt. She always asks first so that I can say yes or no. Why? Sometimes she is not thinking as far ahead of the vehicle as I am. When we are in areas such as on the interstate where there are no anticipated stops or hard curves she gets to move about for the "essentials" such as bathroom or grab something cold out of the refer. Is that a guarantee that a deer won't jump out and make me slam the brakes while she is moving about? NOPE. We do have an agreement that if I yell "get down" that she has to drop to the floor as quickly as possible. Of course, if she is on a bathroom break...that is gonna be tough.

It is a game of odds from the time you start the rig until you get it parked. We just try to skew the odds in our favor when we can and use seat belts to the max.

As far as guest are concerned...they must wear the belts. No exception.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
By law only the one in the driver's seat and the front passenger seat must be belted. Double check those other seat belts and I bet some of those say that they are not rated for crashes or something to that effect and to not rely on them in case of being hit.

Thom is the driver and yes is belted. I am the passenger and I am belted if I am sitting in the front seat. Yes I get up to go to the bathroom when I have to, which sometimes can be 10 times in an hour. Yes I get up to get us refills on our drinks or something to eat while he is driving. As for any other passengers? Right now it's just the cat and he sleeps on the dash while going down the road. (looking for someone to adopt him thou) Any other adults? Not yet but they can sit in the coach where they want. If it was Lisa, our granddaughter, then I would have her sit in the front seat belted in. If she's there she's then next to Mudd (grandpa) and she just loves her Mudd.
Better check your state laws. In Washington, all available seat belts MUST be worn. I have 8 belts (all legal), so the ninth person is except (kind of a strange law).

If there's an accident, at the least there'll be a ticket issued - to YOU for not having your passenger(s) wear a seatbelt. And what if there's an insurance claim? Remember, it's YOU that will be held responsible for any injury and/or damages.

Me? I won't take that chance with another person's life just because they're "uncomfortable". Let them ride with someone else. I'm sure others will chime in on this.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talking about flying projectiles reminds me of one time I had to brake a little more aggressive than normal. We have a butcher block of knives sitting on the kitchen counter. They have sat there all the time with no problems (they have rubber feet under the block and do not slide around). However they slid/tumbled forward that one time. I was joking with the wife "Yeah someone opens the door to find us both knifed in the back".
Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We never have kids in the MH, but if we did we would do our best to keep them belted. DW wears her's and I've never had mine on.

Think about this one for a minute....the only passenger vehicle in Michigan (assume many other states or maybe all) that do not have seat belts or require them is a School Bus.
This has come up before... it's worth noting that school bus construction is very different from that of RV's, or even the typical family car.

Quote:
Numerous federal and academic studies have concluded that school buses are the safest form of ground transportation of all, in fact. The National Safety Council says they're about 40 times safer than the family car.
About 440,000 public school buses carry 24 million children more than 4.3 billion miles a year, but only about six children die each year in bus accidents, according to annual statistics compiled the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. About 800 children, by contrast, die every year walking, biking or being driven to school in cars or other passenger vehicles, said Ron Medford, the agency's deputy director.

That's because designers of modern school buses don't trust squirmy children to use seat belts properly. Instead, they use a passive system called compartmentalization. Bus seats aren't packed so closely together just to maximize capacity (although that's one reason); they're spaced tightly and covered with 4-inch-thick foam to form a protective bubble.
In a crash, "the child will go against the seat, and that will absorb most of the impact," said John Hamilton, transportation director for the Jackson County, Fla., school board. "Plus, it's a safety device so that they won't be projecting through the air."
Source:Why your child's school bus has no seat belts - US news - Life | NBC News
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #25

That works great in school bus as long as the impact is either front or rear of the bus. T bone a bus and the kids will fly everywhere. So even the state/gov play the odds with your kids.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
I use a seatbelt always and feel 'naked' if not belted. I encourage others to use theirs because I care for them. School buses are often used as an example of travel without seat belts. Fact is, 6 states now require seat belts. Large school buses are the safest form of road travel in the U.S. statistically. They use compartmentalization, or closely spaced, foam padded seat backs to contain kids in place. In my school district, our transportation director and I were talking one day (while I was on bus duty) and he asked "Who would monitor up and down the aisle to see if everyone was belted in?" Also he suggested the buckles would become 'weapons' to sling at each other. He said his dream student control would be sleeping gas piped to each seat back to knock them out until their stop. I suggested he was thinking too hard and the should take a vacation.

When I used to drive adults around the Yellowstone area in University 15 passenger vans we would explain that we expected everyone to be belted in and safe, but I didn't mention it again in more than 2 weeks of more than a 1,000 miles driving unless they were climbing over seats or laying across seat backs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #27

man when I was I'm elementary school our buses had a nice shiny chrome bar over each seat so when the bus driver stopped quick you could smack your mouth right on it and chip a tooth or leave a nice red line across your forehead. Humm this might explain a few things...lol
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #28

I should be dead. I used to stand on the front seat of moms 58 Belvedere when we went to the grocery. Nice shiney metal dashboard.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote