Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I rode motorcycles when young. (50's and 60's) Never wore a helmet and had several bad spills. (love that Atlanta traffic) My brother was riding a Honda when he was 17 years old. He was wearing a helmet and only going 25 mph. The helmet flipped over his face when he hit the pavement. It exposed the back of his head, which hit the pavement and caused the brain to swell. three days later we removed him from life support. He only had a small scratch on his shoulder. I am not against doing safe procedures, but following the rules doesn't mean you will always be O.K. Calling people names because they don't follow all the nanny state rules doesn't make you sound any smarter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Of course, if she is on a bathroom break...that is gonna be tough.
Seatbelt for the bathroom.......I sense a marketing opportunity.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have always insisted that all occupants be belted and only break the rule 1. To use the lavy or 2. When wife makes lunch so we don't have to stop.

As Murphy would have it, the one time we needed the belts my wife wasn't belted in. Driving eastbound on I76 just east of Sterling, CO we blew the front driver side tire and went into the median ditch toward the westbound lanes. All I had time to do was yell "hold on!". Managed to keep the coach from rolling but what a wild ride!! Stuff flying to the front from everywhere in the coach and a trail of gear behind us that we lost from the lower compartments popping open. The only injury was my wife's knee and she ended up having surgery to fix it. The kids who were belted in carseats were fine. The chances may be low of having an accident but seat belts will keep your passengers from becoming missiles. I wish I had the accident pictures to attach but I'm on my phone and the pics are on the home PC.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
without reading all three pages of posts. one driver pointed out what I was going to say. Millions of kids ride buses every day no seat belts provided. Millions of people ride buses in cities like chicago, new york, LA, San Fransisco, Dallas, Boston, Minneapolis, etc. None of these buses to the best of my knowledge have seat belts. Evidently you can ride large moving vehicles without seat belts without being killed every day.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
without reading all three pages of posts. one driver pointed out what I was going to say. Millions of kids ride buses every day no seat belts provided. Millions of people ride buses in cities like chicago, new york, LA, San Fransisco, Dallas, Boston, Minneapolis, etc. None of these buses to the best of my knowledge have seat belts. Evidently you can ride large moving vehicles without seat belts without being killed every day.
All adults have the option of wearing seat belts or not, wearing motorcycle helmets or not, etc. Millions of people drive, fly, skydive and mountain climb without a single problem yet some die. City buses and school buses are built differently than motorhomes and often don't hit freeway speeds. There have been several high profile tour bus and school bus crashes over the last few years where people were seriously hurt and killed. It's true millions of people ride without seatbelts and are fine but some aren't so lucky. Seatbelts are like insurance, you only really 'need' one if you are in an accident. Wether you want the insurance is an individual choice but it's clear that most people are better off wearing a seatbelt when they are in a crash.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
All adults have the option of wearing seat belts or not, wearing motorcycle helmets or not, etc. Millions of people drive, fly, skydive and mountain climb without a single problem yet some die. City buses and school buses are built differently than motorhomes and often don't hit freeway speeds. There have been several high profile tour bus and school bus crashes over the last few years where people were seriously hurt and killed. It's true millions of people ride without seatbelts and are fine but some aren't so lucky. Seatbelts are like insurance, you only really 'need' one if you are in an accident. Wether you want the insurance is an individual choice but it's clear that most people are better off wearing a seatbelt when they are in a crash.
You are absolutely right. I am just pointing out that the vehicles I am talking about do not have the option of seat belts. As far as not reaching highway speeds. Tour buses reach them all of the time. A lot of schools take athletes, band, cheerleaders whatever on school buses to other towns they reach highway speeds. I do not know how they are built different if you say they are I can accept that but I am just pointing out that when we talk about taking chances driving in our MH that there are government officials, and buisness people that drive people around everyday that do not give the passenger the option of seat belts.

For what it is worth. I make all children buckle up when they are riding in the MH and when in car seat we buckle the car seat in.

I am waiting for the day when they make it mandatory to wear a seat belt on a motorcycle. I have faith that some expert will convince the government that it is is safer.

Motorcycle helmets to wear or not to wear. To me is one of two opinions. Do you want to have something protecting your head if you wreck. OR do you want to have increased peripheral vision and better hearing to avoid a wreck. Choice should be up to an adult when they are riding
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I should be dead. I used to stand on the front seat of moms 58 Belvedere when we went to the grocery. Nice shiney metal dashboard.
I had to laugh at your comment. When I was preteen/ teenager back in the 60s my parents did everything wrong by todays standards. We lived on dirt roads and we kids used to fight to see who could sit on the tailgate of moms old station wagon when we were on the dirt road. When we went somewhere in the pickup we sat in the back. when the stock racks were on we would stand up behind the cab. I only came close to getting hurt one time. My dad worked on a big ranch the new pickup truck he was driving had a bad door latch as he was going around a corner the door opened up and I went flying out luckily I rolled away from the truck not under it. How did so many of us survive the dangerous times we grew up in. ( I probably should not even mention that every boy I knew who hunted used to go deer hunting before school during deer season and we went to school with our high powered rifles in the rifle rack on the rear window)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
"All adults have a choice to wear a seatbelt?" Not on MY turf, they don't.

It's belt or walk, regardless of age or degree of whining. Period!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I guarantee I'd be walking...!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Sounds like you have a control issue. As an adult I will make that choice for myself and gladly be responsible for a citation should one be issued.
In the car I wear mine 99% of the time and dont dispute it saves lives. but seatbelt laws were not created for the sake of public safety. Its about revenue and giving the cops a reason to pull people over.
fact in point; Michigan and Ohio have seatbelt laws which allow an officer to pull you over for not wearing it. Yet no helmet law. So its public safety? Seems like mixed signals to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have talked about this issue before, and it comes up time and time again.

My coach only has seatbelt positions at driver, co-pilot and sofa (3). Every time someone gets in the coach to ride with us they head for the swivel recliner behind the co-pilot, which is strapped to floor but not seat belted, I usually say "that is not a seat designed for travel, no seat belt" which usually results in, That's ok. I insist on kids riding seated on sofa and belted, small kids in booster of car seats, which seems like sort of a waste since the car seats can not be installed correctly, and are only held with belt around the seat, no mounting hooks like in a car, but I let adults make their own choice. I drive at 50 - 55 on surface roads and 55-60 interstate and I see the risk as low. I know all passengers are supposed to be belted in, but in reality I don't think that is the reality in most cases. Rarely a concern as we travel alone or with grandkids most time, but the occasional adult passenger poses this problem.

In talking with others about travel habits in their MH, I am beginning to think that only the driver and co-pilot belt up. I usually get answers like,...the kids lay on bed watching tv, they sit in dinette play games, don't even have the belts pulled up through the sofa, etc....

Curious what you good folks do.
Explain to them that should there be an accident you do not want them flying into your co-pilot's seat and hurting them.
After multiple years in EMS, everyone in my vehicle wears a seatbelt.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Motorcycle helmets to wear or not to wear. To me is one of two opinions. Do you want to have something protecting your head if you wreck. OR do you want to have increased peripheral vision and better hearing to avoid a wreck. Choice should be up to an adult when they are riding
While it is personal choice, you are more likely to die without a helmet than with.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...bile=nocontent
There was discussion when PA repealed its helmet law among the local EMS community as the death rare went up here also, however hospital costs went down as less riders were going to the hospital. Meaning insurance costs were going down.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Sounds like you have a control issue. As an adult I will make that choice for myself and gladly be responsible for a citation should one be issued.
To me it's not a control issue, but a guilt and fiscal issue. I'd feel terrible if I was driving and an accident happened and someone was injured in my vehicle because they weren't wearing a seatbelt. A citation might be the best you could hope for. In addition you could be held legally and financially responsible for contributory negligence, even vehicular homicide/manslaughter if a passenger is injured or killed while you're driving and they were unbelted. In addition your license could be suspended, your insurance medical or liability coverage quickly maxed out, etc. It's a complicated and expensive world today.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #42

Quote:
If you read the NBC article posted that comparison doesn't hold any weight. Last I checked RV's don't have multiple rows of seats to contain the flying people in a crash like a school bus does.