Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #71

Boy I hate to get involved in this discussion but after the last comment I just have to. Emotion has nothing to do with wearing the seat belts but I think that emotion has a lot to do with not wearing them. Any time you think you don't need them just go out and bench press 3000 pounds and i will agree with you. By the way that's the force you will hit whatever is in front of you if you are unrestrained. As a person who has retired from working on a major toll road in the US, I can assure you that by far and away the ones who survive a crash (truck, bus or car) are those who had their seat belt on. You can let your emotions try to tell you that you are safe because your vehicle is so big or that all that suff flying around will get you before the lack of seatbelt will or if you are way back in the rig then you really don't have to worry BUT all that is just not supported by fact. It is pure emotion that is talking and if you pardon the phrase it is pure BULL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #72

I don't think anyone on here is debating that seatbelts saves lives.the data supports it and its pretty well accepted that its the right thing to do.
I raced cars and know that seatbelts make all the difference in a crash. In my car I wear my belt 99% of the time and make sure everyone else does too. In the RV though we rarely do and not really sure why as I agree we probably should. No one leaves the house expecting to have an accident. So its pretty safe to say you don't expect it tho happen to you.
I think maybe part of it comes from the generation I was raised in where cars before 1964 (pretty sure on date) were not even required to have belts. So I remember taking family trips standing on the hump in the back seat so as to see out the front window. My brothers and I would lay out some sleeping bags in the back of my parents station wagon and play games and sleep and thankfully we never had a problem other than spilling a drink or being thrown to one side of the car in an unexpected turn. Which we would laugh about.
So maybe those fond memories have skewed my view on traveling and being belted in as I know in my heart we all should be but in the RV we still don't. After reading this thread I have really thought allot more about why we don't. It doesn't make sense and hopefully that will change. The days I remember as a child are gone and vehicle safety has come a long way. We should all take advantage of the improvements and knowledge that is now available.
Not saying its going to be easy to enforce the use of belts after being so carefree about it in the RV. But the whole family expects it in the car so the rv should be the same.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #73

Sometimes my wife will shower while we are underway....the shower has a seat, maybe I will add a belt.....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Sometimes my wife will shower while we are underway....the shower has a seat, maybe I will add a belt.....
I'm thinking about installing one on the toilet....
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #75

For all those who feel that federal laws ( such as seat belts) are an unwarranted federal intrusion on constitutionally protected liberties ...... "Click on & watch" the Jason Jones skit - Can't Touch This.

www.thedailyshow.com/videos
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Mainly, because I was looking for truthful answers about members' seatbelt use, and not politically correct responses. What I read and what I see out there on the road seem polar opposite!
Yeah, that's what I was noticing too. People seem pretty high and mighty when they write about the righteousness of seat belts. But I see all these giant motorhomes on the road with granpappy in front driving, and of course he's probably buckled in, but is granmammy in the back playing solitaire at the dinette REALLY buckled in 100% of the time? And what would they do if they had their own kids in there for long hours squirming and asking if we're there yet?

I have two kids and one of the reasons we have a Motorhome (as opposed to a travel trailer or even just a popup or camping gear) is because it's A LOT more fun and comfortable for them all to travel in because they're not necessarily confined to a car seat the whole time. But I try to use good judgement. When we're on the freeway, especially one in or near a city, every one is buckled in in the most constraining way my motorhome will allow. But when I'm on a lonely country going slow and enjoying the view, I let them have some freedom, or perhaps take a nap if needed. Even when they are bucked in, the seat belts on the captain chairs, especially the ones on the couch are pretty puny and far from real, modern safety belts that you'd have in a newer car. So even if I did have strict buckle-up policy in my craft, I would'd be feeling all superior to others and looking at them as dangerous, careless, stupid, etc… I'm not even sure what the laws are in my area. I've tried to find out, but there's not a lot that's specific to motorhomes, buses or other large vehicles without standard seating arrangements. I'm sure if you asked a cop he'd say you have to be buckled, but that's just the easy/PC thing for him to say and he's not the one dealing with whiny kids on a very long drive. I view my motorhome as a small bus, which it basically is. But I do have the correct seating/belting arrangements on hand in case of flashing lights. And I keep the rear shades down for the same reason.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #77

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personal experience and observation.....

I have been in a car that stopped sudenly more than once.. On one occasion I was the non-belted passanger in the back seat (2 belts, 3 people) and only my reaction time kept me from being killed. and all the driver hit was... The brakes.

I ended up head down in the front seat gripping the head rests with both arms.

Observation:

I have seen quite a few where no seat belts were worn, and the result was not nearly as nice.

My daughter's first babysitter had a split lip.. I ask about it, She was rear seat in a car with 3 other teens, They laughed as she buckled up.

She walked away with a split lip

They had funerals.

WEAR THE BELT STUPID. You stand 8 times better chance of walking away from an accident, or at least WALKING following the accident, with the belt on EIGHT TIMES.

What do air bags do for you? THey break hands, burn faces and otherwise cause injuries.. I do not like them at all.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On the CBS evening news they had a report on the new requirement for new highway coaches to have seat belts in 3 years.

No good reason not to wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Boy, that flying object thing reminds me of what I consider to be the other big concern with allowing passengers to ride in the living area of motor homes. If luggage in overheads can inflict such injuries, just imagine what a broken-away dinette table might do in the event of a crash!

Or even a few pots that might come flying out of the cupboards...
I may not be reading this right but are you saying that now people shouldn't even ride in the motorhome because of all the possible projectiles in an accident?

I guess I'll have to put the family in the toad now when we are on the road and roll the windows down for them. My wife can call me when someone needs to go to the bathroom. Of course, I am stuck in the kill zone driving the thing so I guess the only safe thing to do is get an industrial tow truck and tow the MH.

Anyhow, of course our kids are all buckled when we drive. My wife prefers to be as well but that is her choice. I bet my kids would love to be lounging on the bed or playing games on the floor but well... too bad. I don't have any problem with anyone, kids included, getting up momentarily to go to the bathroom or something while we are in motion however. We travel with large dogs as well so there is another problem in a serious accident as two 100lbs + projectiles get launched. Hopefully they are low enough to the ground. If an adult wants to take a nap on the bed, have at it. In a frontal collision, there is little likelihood they will impact anyone if they even make it through the door.

The odds are always there that something could go wrong in at the worst moment when someone has unbuckled for a min or two but they are pretty low. It's going to suck to get into an accident that bad no matter what I think.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Could you help me---i have seen numerous pics with seat belts on couch--but the previous owner renovated RV and removed them---had different advice--told not to put them anchored to the floor but to anchor them to the sofa (which is anchored to the floor) because if something happened that caused the sofa to move you would not want to be anchored between it and the floor. Our swivel seat came with a factory installed seat belt but the seat has a lock that will lock it in a stationery position for travelling. hope someone can help me.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #81

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
Could you help me---i have seen numerous pics with seat belts on couch--but the previous owner renovated RV and removed them---had different advice--told not to put them anchored to the floor but to anchor them to the sofa (which is anchored to the floor) because if something happened that caused the sofa to move you would not want to be anchored between it and the floor. Our swivel seat came with a factory installed seat belt but the seat has a lock that will lock it in a stationery position for travelling. hope someone can help me.

Can you see evidence of how the seat belts had been anchored? Mine are through bolted to the floor, but perhaps yours had them fastened to the sofa. I'd look for bolt holes in the sofa frame, or holes in the floor to see how they were originally installed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
In my fifteen year life as a motorhome service manager, I have never seen a seatbelt anchored to a sofa. Some are mounted to the base of the chair, but that is a solid thick steel post. Sofa frames are made light. We have replaced sofa's because they came apart. I would never use the sofa as a seatbelt anchor.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
In my fifteen year life as a motorhome service manager, I have never seen a seatbelt anchored to a sofa. Some are mounted to the base of the chair, but that is a solid thick steel post. Sofa frames are made light. We have replaced sofa's because they came apart. I would never use the sofa as a seatbelt anchor.
Thanks for the info. In your experience is it more likely to find seat belts on the sofa or dinette? We had a class C (1978) some years ago that had seat belts on the sofa which was at the very back of the MV and belts on both sides of the dinette as well as the front and passenger seats. In our present Class A (1995) Itaska Suncruiser (Winnebago) even though advertising photos show seat belts on the sofa--and there are slots on the original cushions for seat belts if they were really there--previous owner told me he removed them because he and his wife did not use them--HOWEVER I have looked under the slide and cannot see where they would have been thru bolted. Unfortunately the ones he has "reinstalled" at the dinette are only attached to a piece of 2 X 4 screwed to the floor with what look like #8 -1 1/2 " screws---We did not look closely enough when purchasing. Thanks for you input
Old 05-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #84

Gulf Streamers Club
If the laminate is not glued down, you might remove a plank or two from behind the sofa (remove it first) to find the original mounting holes. If you're lucky, there might be 'captured nuts' in the holes that makes installing seat belts a bit easier.

Once you get the belts installed, the next problem is making folks use them. Take photos of the steps involved in installing them and show passengers why you think it's important for them to use the belts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote