Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #85

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Can you see evidence of how the seat belts had been anchored? Mine are through bolted to the floor, but perhaps yours had them fastened to the sofa. I'd look for bolt holes in the sofa frame, or holes in the floor to see how they were originally installed.
Thank you for your reply. I have not been able to see where they were bolted thru--the carpet has been replaced with laminate. the sofa is on the slideout---someone else has said that their belts were anchored on the floor near the side wall on the slide. I am wondering if although I have seen advertising pics of the belts on the sofa if they were originally there--the sofa has original covering on sofa and there are slots for the seat belts in the cushions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #86

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Of all of the current RV manufacturers, I would bet that Winnebago would be the most likely to have an engineering drawing that shows the layout of the slide-out floor framing and the location of seatbelt anchors. I would call customer service, explain the situation, and ask for help. They have been very helpful with my 2000 VW Eurovan camper.

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #87

Always wear!seatbelts! Dogs are harnessed in. !seatbelts are good, no seatbelts are bad. That simple!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #88

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you decided to remove some of the laminate to find the old holes, I would start directly below the cutouts in the sofa. To keep the seatbelt length as short as possible, they usually mount the belts directly in line with the sofa cutouts.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #89

The two people in this motor home that had an accident were both wearing their seat belts. The new motor home was destroyed. The driver is still recovering from the accident that occurred July, 2015.

No you do not have to wear your seat belt. You also do not have to survive a horrendous accident.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...psqugljfmu.jpg
Old 05-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have not been able to see where they were bolted thru--the carpet has been replaced with laminate. the sofa is on the slideout---someone else has said that their belts were anchored on the floor near the side wall on the slide. I am wondering if although I have seen advertising pics of the belts on the sofa if they were originally there--the sofa has original covering on sofa and there are slots for the seat belts in the cushions.
My couch is bolted to the floor in 4 spots, but the seat belts are mounted to the couch frame, and it's not a light weight frame.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #91

I enjoyed and relate to greatlakes post, I remember trips we slept on the rear deck, no seat belts there. DW and I use our seat belts and it is our choice although DW will get up and grap a drink or snack. She will only do this when we are on road and no traffic around with the statement " don't kill me"
Old 05-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
On my MoHo, after the slides are extended, if you look up under the slides you can see the seat belt bolts and nuts, so it's very easy to add or remove them. To do that by yourself just use a lock wrench inside the coach. I agree that attaching the belts to furniture is a bad idea. Both my couch and J-couch have belts but none for the kitchen chairs.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #93

This thread remind me a few years ago I meet a guy when checking into a RV park. He had driven up I15 overnight pulling a 5th wheel. He drove at night to beat the summer heat. He explained how the wife and 3 kids slept in the 5th wheel while he drove. I don't remember much of what he said after that as I was thinking of all the things I would be worried about whith the sleeping in th 5th wheel. What's if I could have actually let it happen
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #94

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't make fun of people who try to stay safe. I do think that our news media and government have made us a bunch of "fraidy cats".( a Georgia saying) When on long trips my wife will lay down on the sofa for a hour or so and take a short nap. She will fix lunch while underway. She goes to the bathroom while underway. We have done this since we bought our first motor home in 1974. I always asked my customers about this. More than 3/4 in my informal survey did the same. Only one customer had an issue. He hit a huge pothole on the interstate his wife was coming from the bathroom and flew up in the air and landed on her fanny. She was hurt, but not seriously. Is there a chance of an accident? Of course. I just think it is so small, I would rather enjoy the conveniences of my coach.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don't make fun of people who try to stay safe. I do think that our news media and government have made us a bunch of "fraidy cats".( a Georgia saying) When on long trips my wife will lay down on the sofa for a hour or so and take a short nap. She will fix lunch while underway. She goes to the bathroom while underway. We have done this since we bought our first motor home in 1974. I always asked my customers about this. More than 3/4 in my informal survey did the same. Only one customer had an issue. He hit a huge pothole on the interstate his wife was coming from the bathroom and flew up in the air and landed on her fanny. She was hurt, but not seriously. Is there a chance of an accident? Of course. I just think it is so small, I would rather enjoy the conveniences of my coach.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #96

When I was much younger, half of the time I did not consider the use of a seatbelt... Shame on me.

But now, I don't feel right to seat in any vehicle without the seatbelt. I felt naked without one. I always make sure everyone in my vehicle to put on the seatbelt does not matter where they seated or get out.

Having that said, here is a story of a friend that I know. About 6 years ago, he and his wife in the front along with his mother-in-law and his younger kid was riding in the backseat of his vehicle. Everyone had their seatbelt on with the exception of his mother-in-law. He nearly got into an accident and managed to make a sudden hard stop to avoid the accident, however, with that, the momentum throws his mom forward, broke her neck when her head bumps hard to the front seat and die. It was a bad story, but imagine the distance between the back seat of an automobile to the front seat could cause that much damage, think about the openness of the RV.

That enough said.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #97

Ford Super Duty Owner
Too each there own. But in our coach, seat belts are not optional. Put 'em on or we will meet you tonight. Easy rule.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I travel regularly with the DW, 3 kids and grandparents. Everyone is belted 95% of the time. Exceptions are potty breaks or an adult getting something for the toddler, who is in a child seat.

As an aside, the inability to use child seats in many RV's is very annoying and dangerous. When our youngest was an infant, we had to put the rear-facing seat in the passenger seat if our class C with the airbag turned off. It would be nice if manufacturers as least made a decent solution and orderable option.
This reflects what we practice. I think the only current solution for Latch anchors is to have a mobility center install them. I haven't done that yet, so for now my 2 year old and 3 month old are in lap-belt secured child seats, perpendicular to direction of travel. Not ideal, but safer than unsecured. My 2 year old wants to help steer and adjust controls. I can keep the 6 year old on a couch with a belt easily enough.

That said, sometimes we need to change a diaper or breast feed, and we'll do that while going down the road. 95% of the time we're all buckled.