Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #99

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry I made the comment in post #84 about getting folks to use them, causing the resulting rash of comments about seatbelt use. The OP obviously knows their value as they're trying to reinstall them.

For many years I drove 15 passenger vans in and around Yellowstone and the Tetons, carting teachers on field trips and hikes. We always asked passengers to buckle up, but the tangle of belts in the seats and the frequent stops resulted in many not using them. That experience is why I suggested maybe photos of the installation would help encourage folks to use them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Too each there own. But in our coach, seat belts are not optional. Put 'em on or we will meet you tonight. Easy rule.
Not optional in ours either.

I too remember riding without seat belts, playing in the backseat and even laying up in the back window when i was a kid. Sure it was fun but i was a kid who didn't know any better. Suffice it to say, i'm an adult now who realizes that mine and my passenger's chances of coming away with less injuries are better when seat belts are used.

Was surprised to see all the excuses in this thread for not wearing. Honestly, none were good ones. The couple of posts stating that their passengers actually went back and took naps really really got me to do a double take. There's just no way i could ever forgive myself if an accident took place that hurt or killed a loved one while i was driving. There just isn't any good reason not to wear a seat belt when inside a moving vehicle.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Too each there own. But in our coach, seat belts are not optional. Put 'em on or we will meet you tonight. Easy rule.
Sorry Ben, but I'm afraid you and I would not do much riding together. I believe in everyone making their own choices.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #102

Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem Ramzfan. It really isn't - just a simple rule for my coach. When you ride in our coach please put your seat belt on. It's your choice. Ride in a seat belt or have other forms of transportation and we'll see you tonight. Don't mean to be hostile, just our rule. I like to say easy - peasy.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay, this subject has me needing to get up on the pulpit! I hear everyone's point about their right to choose. For the most part, I am supportive of those rights. However, I think sometimes people are not always thinking through the time trade-offs, risks and probabilities in an objective manner. Here's what I mean.

First, the subject of time. How many times have you had somebody riding your bumper on a road while you drive the speed limit? The person pushes you impatiently until they find a stretch to pass legally (or maybe not), and they desperately race past you only to make a turn off the road in a few miles, or they end up stopped by a traffic light with you eventually sitting right behind them at that same light. So the question: what was gained by this big rush, and was it really worth it? I ask the same question about allowing a loved one to get up to use the lieu, or to make lunch...just to avoid a short stop. Really? Why are we in such a rush that we can't pull in to the next rest area, and take a 5-10 minute break?

Second, this lifestyle, and those who profess to be masters of their own freedom shouldn't feel so rushed as to take the risk of letting an unsecurred passenger walk around while in motion. Whether it was her choice or not, I would never forgive myself is something happened to my wife that could have been avoided. Accidents do happen, but I would never want to gamble her against the statistics that a deer, blow-out or other upset could happen. While those may be very low probability events, the consequence is never worth the risk. Especially, if there are very reasonable precautions that can be taken to mitigate/avoid the risk. The same argument can be applied to helmets, or any other safety measures that people so often marginalize.

So try to remember this... We can't control time, but we can stop being pushed around by it or others in such a big rush. And low probability, high consequence risks aren't worth the perceived time, comfort, or convenience.

That is all. I'm done preaching! Can I get an Amen?!?
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #104

Blackcabby; Amen.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #105

I second Blackcabby; and raise you an additional Amen!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #106

Amen !!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #107
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Sorry Ben, but I'm afraid you and I would not do much riding together. I believe in everyone making their own choices.
I understand your sentiment but have to wonder how you feel about having enough insurance to cover ALL your costs so no one else has to contribute to pay for any damage or harm you might cause of sustain by not taking reasonable precautions.

In society today if you get injured and I happen to be involved there is a good chance I will get named by some lawyer trying to make a buck.

We have a current story in our Akron paper about a person getting hit by someone making an illegal left turn. Police cited the person making the turn ans has stated in writing that the person who hit the illegal turner was at zero % fault. However the insurance company is refusing to pay the costs for the innocent person as they try and avoid paying for the actions of the irresponsible person. The Insurance co is claiming the innocent person to be 30% at fault.

So exactly how does this "I will take complete responsibility for may actions" play out if you suffer injury like getting thrown through your windshield, which would not have happened if you were wearing belts?

Wonder if you advocate for letting people without insurance die at the scene of an accident because they felt they would be responsible for their actions and wanted complete personal freedom and do not like big bad insurance companies.

Related item. As a retired race car driver I know that not wearing a seatbelt makes it harder to completely control a vehicle. Are you prepared for being charged with negligence in not having complete control of your car if involved in accident?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #108

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm all for personal freedom, but the key word is 'personal.' Years ago when folks fought for the right to NOT wear a helmet on a motorcycle, I thought, "Fine, make the helmetless folks post a $50,000 bond to pay medical expenses in case of a head injury on the bike." You can drive without wearing a seatbelt, but again, you should post a bond to cover the more serious consequences of your choice.

In today's world, we are all interconnected and interdependent. The pollution I dump on my own property doesn't stay there, it travels downstream and downwind. WE ARE ALL DOWNSTREAM AND DOWNWIND OF SOMEONE. So our behaviors do influence and affect others. Folks who refuse to recognize this fact are short-sighted and selfish.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with a lot of this is we have lost our personal responsibility when the lawyers got involved with seeking remuneration from the insurance companies for any and all incidents.

I would like to go back to an older time when courtesy and respect were part of everyone's vocabulary. Now it seems like we are in the midst of self absorbed and self indulgent people who expect us to look out for them.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #110

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We never have more than three people at a time in the MH. Myself, the DW and the 16 yr old grandson. There are four belts in the rig and everyone has one on when underway. Once in a while the DW gets up to go potty though or get something to drink. She only does that on straight, level sections though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Totally on board with the motorcycle helmet comment above. Just a quick question about the seat belts in the dining area and seat behind the co-pilot's chair. Our coach has belts in those positions, but with the disclaimer not to wear them when the vehicle is in motion.
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
Totally on board with the motorcycle helmet comment above. Just a quick question about the seat belts in the dining area and seat behind the co-pilot's chair. Our coach has belts in those positions, but with the disclaimer not to wear them when the vehicle is in motion.
That doesn't make any sense. Does your manual state what the belts are for?