Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tough Decision for Me

I grew up in a time when seat belts weren't required. The belts we kids had were mom and dad's arms crossing in front of us when someone would hit the brakes

My Hummer H1 doesn't yell at me if I don't use seat belts, neither does the Discovery. My RV doesn't send out the warning, either. After hearing the story about the RV mechanic who was actually SAVED (except for being scalped) by not wearing his seatbelt in a horrific crash, I figured I'd keep not wearing one. Ironically, everything else in my RV is secured before I move it.

And then I saw a video about a DP rolling when they had a front tire blow.

SO...tough as it is for me to make this new habit, I might as well start wearing a seatbelt. At least until I get the stabilizer installed or put run-flats on the bus.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #114

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Does your manual state what the belts are for?
Our rig is "new to us" and left it manuals somewhere along life's highway, but there is a sticker on the wall by that chair behind the co-pilots, and at the dining booths that states the belts are not for use while the coach is in motion. I guess it is a CYA sticker for the mfgr.

McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #115

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
Our rig is "new to us" and left it manuals somewhere along life's highway, but there is a sticker on the wall by that chair behind the co-pilots, and at the dining booths that states the belts are not for use while the coach is in motion. I guess it is a CYA sticker for the mfgr.
Are you sure the sign does not say"This seat not to be occupied while vehicle is in motion". We installed lots of belts on seats with this sign. The sign on it meant that the seat had no belt. Most of the time we left the sign on to keep from damaging the finish when pulled off.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Are you sure the sign does not say"This seat not to be occupied while vehicle is in motion". We installed lots of belts on seats with this sign. The sign on it meant that the seat had no belt. Most of the time we left the sign on to keep from damaging the finish when pulled off.
This is what i was thinking. Our rig has the recliner, no belt, behind the passenger seat and i'm pretty sure there is a warning sticker like this. There is no warning or any other signage at the dinette where the factory installed belts are located.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We should "respect each other?"

How about respecting my right to make my own decisions in life and don't try to force YOUR choices on me...?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my RIGHTS...
Old 06-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #119

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
How about respecting my right to make my own decisions in life and don't try to force YOUR choices on me...?

In Post #1 trode asked about what others do when riding in a motorhome. You've made it clear, you'd rather rattle around like a pea in a tin can.

I taught science to children and adults for over 30 years. Take a strap on roller skate and sit a doll on it. Roll it across the floor into a barrier. That's you.

School buses are often used as an example or excuse not to wear seat belts. Fact is, a school bus is designed with a very different idea. They are compartmentalized, and surrounded with padding and structural integrity to secure the entire container. A friend of mine that was in charge of transportation in our district used to ask, "Do you know what some kids would do with a heavy buckle on the end of a strap? After the first row of seats, who is going to monitor that the belt is fastened correctly?"

Contrast a school bus to an RV. Much more flimsy construction, many sharp and unpadded edges, a center aisle from front to back, and a windshield often over 5 feet high and 8 feet wide. Wear a seat belt.

As I said earlier, we are all interconnected and interdependent. Are you prepared to exercise your rights by paying an extra premium to ride un-belted? Insurance companies already give rate reductions to non-smokers, kids that have taken driver training, etc. Is that stepping on personal freedoms?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

In Post #1 trode asked about what others do when riding in a motorhome. You've made it clear, you'd rather rattle around like a pea in a tin can.

I taught science to children and adults for over 30 years. Take a strap on roller skate and sit a doll on it. Roll it across the floor into a barrier. That's you.

School buses are often used as an example or excuse not to wear seat belts. Fact is, a school bus is designed with a very different idea. They are compartmentalized, and surrounded with padding and structural integrity to secure the entire container. A friend of mine that was in charge of transportation in our district used to ask, "Do you know what some kids would do with a heavy buckle on the end of a strap? After the first row of seats, who is going to monitor that the belt is fastened correctly?"

Contrast a school bus to an RV. Much more flimsy construction, many sharp and unpadded edges, a center aisle from front to back, and a windshield often over 5 feet high and 8 feet wide. Wear a seat belt.

As I said earlier, we are all interconnected and interdependent. Are you prepared to exercise your rights by paying an extra premium to ride un-belted? Insurance companies already give rate reductions to non-smokers, kids that have taken driver training, etc. Is that stepping on personal freedoms?
As I stated above, how about worrying about yourself and YOUR loved ones? Leave mine to me. I am quite grown up...I know how to make decisions...don't bore me with your statistics on how much it costs to take care of a body that gets in an accident. If more people would take care of their own business instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing, this country would be much better off. And I don't mean to sound rude and nasty, I'm really not. I was just raised to mind my own business, help those who can't help themselves and to know the difference between the two.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #121

Wearing seal belts.

In NY state it is the law that you must wear a seat belt. As a Nurse ,I have had patients with life long traumatic brain injuries. It is not a pretty picture. Just ask any Nurse that works in the ER how they feel about seat belt use.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

...As I said earlier, we are all interconnected and interdependent. Are you prepared to exercise your rights by paying an extra premium to ride un-belted? Insurance companies already give rate reductions to non-smokers, kids that have taken driver training, etc. Is that stepping on personal freedoms?
I think the school bus issue is a red herring for a simpler reason: Accident rate and usage.

School buses have warning lights, they're (hopefully) driven by trained drivers. They are big and yellow and loaded with warning lights. They operate mostly during daylight hours and rarely during extreme weather. The accident/injury rates are low enough that seat belts aren't going to significantly affect overall outcomes.

That doesn't mean they don't make a big difference to individuals, just that it's a statistical fact that as a group, kids riding school buses are about as unlikely as any demographic I can think of being involved in/injured in a traffic accident.

Cars and RVs are operated at all hours of the day by minimally trained (in the US anyway) operators, under all sorts of conditions. There are no speed restrictions on them, they aren't required to stop at RR crossings, and common sense is actually an uncommon commodity.

Re: the "rights" (actually entitlement) issue, in my extensive experience in online discussions (since the days of dial-up BBS systems in the 80's) you will never find someone who asserts their responsibilities as loudly as they will assert their "rights." It's a conversation that is dragged and beaten to death every day on the topic of motorcycle helmets. Reason, evidence, and responsibility rarely enter into discussions like that.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #123

If I had a nickel for every time someone who owns a mh has said to me..we bought it beacuse we can make lunch, go to the bathroom , etc while driving, I could pay for my diesel this year..

It is the law in my area to be buckled us as well... however, being a first responder, I have come to the conclusion that anyone who doesn't insist that their passengers buckle up while in motion really doesn't like them much and considers them expendable.

It has nothing to do with "rights" or "being grown up" but common sense..
Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #124

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grassy - you've pointed out one of our best teachers - experience. Seat belts in our coach are not an emotional issue, just a fact. I will not harangue or cajole, put them on or as I said earlier, will see you tonight.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
I think the school bus issue is a red herring for a simpler reason: Accident rate and usage.

School buses have warning lights, they're (hopefully) driven by trained drivers. They are big and yellow and loaded with warning lights. They operate mostly during daylight hours and rarely during extreme weather. The accident/injury rates are low enough that seat belts aren't going to significantly affect overall outcomes.

That doesn't mean they don't make a big difference to individuals, just that it's a statistical fact that as a group, kids riding school buses are about as unlikely as any demographic I can think of being involved in/injured in a traffic accident.

Cars and RVs are operated at all hours of the day by minimally trained (in the US anyway) operators, under all sorts of conditions. There are no speed restrictions on them, they aren't required to stop at RR crossings, and common sense is actually an uncommon commodity.

Re: the "rights" (actually entitlement) issue, in my extensive experience in online discussions (since the days of dial-up BBS systems in the 80's) you will never find someone who asserts their responsibilities as loudly as they will assert their "rights." It's a conversation that is dragged and beaten to death every day on the topic of motorcycle helmets. Reason, evidence, and responsibility rarely enter into discussions like that.
I drove school bus for 16 years, so have that experience. I also have over 2 million miles accident free since in over the road semi driving all over the US. My MH is a Bluebird, 1990, steel chassis, frame, and body, built with their school bus ratings for rollover, not flimsy wood and fiberglass like most MH's, we do NOT drive at night, during bad weather, etc. It is as speed restricted as any school bus.

So, since I meet ALL of your requirements, and then some, what do you think about belts? It has NO belts in the bus area, only the two front seats.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Not an issue for me. I drive and feel naked without a seat belt. Used them from the day I got the first one in my vehicle. Janet also buckles up but will get up to go to the washroom occasionally. Rest of the time is buckled.