Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Truth about seat belts

I have talked about this issue before, and it comes up time and time again.

My coach only has seatbelt positions at driver, co-pilot and sofa (3). Every time someone gets in the coach to ride with us they head for the swivel recliner behind the co-pilot, which is strapped to floor but not seat belted, I usually say "that is not a seat designed for travel, no seat belt" which usually results in, That's ok. I insist on kids riding seated on sofa and belted, small kids in booster of car seats, which seems like sort of a waste since the car seats can not be installed correctly, and are only held with belt around the seat, no mounting hooks like in a car, but I let adults make their own choice. I drive at 50 - 55 on surface roads and 55-60 interstate and I see the risk as low. I know all passengers are supposed to be belted in, but in reality I don't think that is the reality in most cases. Rarely a concern as we travel alone or with grandkids most time, but the occasional adult passenger poses this problem.

In talking with others about travel habits in their MH, I am beginning to think that only the driver and co-pilot belt up. I usually get answers like,...the kids lay on bed watching tv, they sit in dinette play games, don't even have the belts pulled up through the sofa, etc....

Curious what you good folks do.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Do the children a favor and give them the belt! As a retired Firefighter/EMT for over 36 years, I can personally tell you that seat belts save lives and prevent more serious injury. I remember vividly the five college students thrown from their car, scattered along the road like broken dolls.

In addition to a crash, you could have to swerve or hit the brakes suddenly which could cause injury. Just how would you feel knowing you contributed to injuring your Grandchild?
I have used the car seats in the MH. I take off the cushions and strap the seat down with the belt. You could install tethers but I did not because I felt the seat was secure.
JMHO

Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We never have kids in the MH, but if we did we would do our best to keep them belted. DW wears her's and I've never had mine on.

Think about this one for a minute....the only passenger vehicle in Michigan (assume many other states or maybe all) that do not have seat belts or require them is a School Bus.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The belts in our coach for the passengers are just lap belts (2 each through the couch). I plan on adding a third in the center as well. There are no accommodations for child seats. My one year old grand daughter and her mom will be traveling with us later this year so I will have to figure something out for her car seat.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Agree with use the seatbelts at all times. We were driving down the interstate and my two daughters were belted in coloring pictures. The oldest dropped her marker onto the floor and she asked if she could unbuckle and pick it up. I looked around me and the coast was clear, so I gave permission. Just as she unbuckled and leaned down, a deer jumped out in front of the coach. It's funny now while looking back at the situation. The sudden deceleration caused her to roll like a bowling ball right down the aisle stopping only when she hit the front dash area....upside down!

No one was hurt, but I doubt she ever unbuckled again while we were underway. She now her own daughter, and the other day my granddaughter asked me "Pop Pop, is it true that Mommy rolled like a bowling ball and hit the front of the motorhome when she unbuckled her seatbelt?" Glad to see the experience is being passed along in a positive light to the younger generation as a teaching point.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
I usually get answers like,...the kids lay on bed watching tv, they sit in dinette play games, don't even have the belts pulled up through the sofa, etc....
And the missus making coffee on the move, or kids lying on beds or ....... and even some drivers that exercise their god-given right to self-stupidity by not having their own seat belt on. But you add to that, those who have major items of furniture not bolted down or tethered, coffee machines and other heavy appliances just sitting on kitchen bench tops (oh but ours doesn't move because I have some of that non-slip mat under it) and it is obvious that the concept of duty of care, or even basic self-preservation and survival instincts aren't too strong in many people.
Then of course the government steps in to mandate certain behaviours and sanction failure to adhere to them and then these same people complain about the nanny state.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #7

Ok, I'm going to admit that in my motorhome, I'm probably the only one as the driver that uses a belt. Passengers (when we have them) either sit on the couch, or maybe taking a nap in the bed, or sitting in the swivel recliner behind the passenger seat. Now, if I've got really young kiddos in there, there belted into a child safety seat at the dinette.

I know, I'm breaking all sorts of laws and if there was a terrible crash, it would be bad. I guess I feel that my chances of a crash are much lower in the RV since I'm driving slower and I'm really big. I think if there was a really bad crash, even if you were belted in and that saved you, all the stuff flying around inside is going to kill you.

I'm probably kidding myself, but at least I'm brave enough to admit it.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Posted by topdownman:
"I know, I'm breaking all sorts of laws and if there was a terrible crash, it would be bad. I guess I feel that my chances of a crash are much lower in the RV since I'm driving slower and I'm really big. I think if there was a really bad crash, even if you were belted in and that saved you, all the stuff flying around inside is going to kill you."

Hey, that's the reason for securing your items before you start up. Flying objects can cause serious injury even in an otherwise not so serious accident.

Stay as safe as you reasonably can be!
Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

If you crash, you're going to have cabinets flying open, TVs ripped from their mounts, etc. No amount of securing is going to keep that sort of thing from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
Posted by topdownman:
"I know, I'm breaking all sorts of laws and if there was a terrible crash, it would be bad. I guess I feel that my chances of a crash are much lower in the RV since I'm driving slower and I'm really big. I think if there was a really bad crash, even if you were belted in and that saved you, all the stuff flying around inside is going to kill you."

Hey, that's the reason for securing your items before you start up. Flying objects can cause serious injury even in an otherwise not so serious accident.

Stay as safe as you reasonably can be!
Irene
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
clearing up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrian View Post
Do the children a favor and give them the belt! ... Just how would you feel knowing you contributed to injuring your Grandchild?
I have used the car seats in the MH. I take off the cushions and strap the seat down with the belt. You could install tethers but I did not because I felt the seat was secure.
JMHO
Full disclosure here: as I mentioned in my post, ALL children who ride with me are buckled up. Little ones car seated. Although, IMPOSSIBLE to correctly install them in MH.

My post was more directed at adult passengers, and my allowing them to make their own decisions, and, wondering what others do. Wasn't looking to be lectured. After all, if we want an entirely SAFE existence we would never get in an automobile, travel in a motorhome, or any other form of mechanized transportation! On the other hand, my 85 year old mother fell the other day WALKING out of a movie theater and broke her collar bone, clearly walking has its dangers too!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

I have 8 belts. 2 forward, 3 in dinette, 3 on couch.
My guests are not required to use them....if they dont wish to travel.
I can wait all day.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you do give an adult the chance to make their own decision and they choose not to wear a seat belt that person could become a dangerous flying object in a bad enough crash.

When we are moving both of us are belted in as well as the two dogs. We used to have which ever one of us not driving get up and make sandwiches or get fresh drinks (alcoholic ones after stopping) but now we try to make up a small soft side cooler with lunch and beverages ahead of time and stay in the seat.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a great believer in letting people make their own choices...that means not forcing anyone (except children) to do anything. If people don't want to wear seat belts (or helmets on motorcycles) so what? We are all on this earth to live our own lives. I know I'm going to hear about all the "what if's", but life is full of what if's...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

Well, on MY risk assessment list seat belts are low on the list.

The arguments FOR their use here are all mostly derived from emotion. In my class A, blunt nose RV, only the people near the front are required to use a seat belt, least their (my) heads go through the windshield.

There is a reason why bus passengers on a bus must be seated while the bus is moving, and only the driver is "buckled up".

I submit this mainly because I am contrary to most emotional reasoning, and why this is labeled "Truth about seat belts", I have not idea.

Ed