Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Ok there is another thread running on this Forum with the old, old comparison gas vs. diesel. I chimed in on that thread, but I thought I would add a separate question on diesel rigs only and the truth to the high maintenance costs often brought up by the gas rig crowd. I have a gas rig now, looking to upgrade and DW and I are considering the move to diesel. However, the maintenance and repair stories are a somewhat scary for them. What is the "truth" on diesel expense, engine and drive train not the house?
I started reading about the first 10 replies and just couldn't go on. As always diesel owners went right into the default answer of my oil change, filter cost, I get my rig greased at....blah, blah, blah.

Now maybe in further replies some actually answered the OP's question but I just couldn't keep reading to find out.

Come on guys he's asking way more than these things.
Here's his question again:

However, the maintenance and repair stories are a somewhat scary for them. What is the "truth" on diesel expense, engine and drive train not the house?

So let's see:
How much was that lift pump again?
How much did those tires cost?
Oh, had to have the rear rad pulled cored, flushed and filled. What was that cost?
Hum...Alignment?
How about the front bearings being replaced?
That air filter wasn't installed correctly and their engine got dusted. How many $$$$$ will that cost?

Oh here's one. True story. Our friend bought a 2002 diesel...you know the older USED DP so many here always suggest to look for. Well he just had to replace his air bags because they were old, cracking and one started leaking. Guess what? $$$$$$

Had another friend that bought a 2007 diesel. They were so excited. 6 months later back east on a trip their tranny just quit and did cause some other damage. Don't know all the fine details but....10K repairs.

This should be a good start.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #128

What about the very common cracked exhaust manifolds on Cummins engines. Is that a myth or " that only happens to the other guy " ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #129

Well I lied. I did go back and read every reply and yes, as I suspected very few actually answered the OP's detailed question concerning—the diesel engine and drive train repair costs part—.

IMO...Oil and filter changes are minuscule costs compared to the total health picture of what he was asking and most of the remaining replies were simply falderal.

Out of 128 posters so far, only seven (7) actually answered the bigger question and concerns that the OP has and here are their answers:
• Replace the anti-lock brake controller and both rear rotors and brake pads - $3,300
• Get radiator in and out, plus a charge radiator plus for a cleaning the cooling radiator - $3,700
• Our Rig’s CAT engine expired early this summer. Been in shop since May - $32K
• Replaced High pressure pump - $3,200
• Engine rebuild still ongoing- $20K-30K
• Bad EGR Valve, Turbo bad. Also had to replace manifold due to it being warped - $10K
• Replaced everything brake related on the front end of my diesel - $2K
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I don’t know about a major engine replacement but I have had great experience at Cat dealers for service and things like valve adjustment. Just sayin....
Lost power in MN, just out of Wilmar. It took forever to get to 50 mph on the flats. Stopped in to Ziegler's CAT in Marshal. They stopped what they were doing, and had me out of there in 2 hours. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Diagnostics showed 12psi at idle, should have been 50 psi. Drove out with 7psi and a very small bill. Darn nice people.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #131

botiemad, makes you feel good about doesn't it!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #132

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Freightliner chassis has 3 year/50,000 mile warranty and this thread make up my mind that worth extending for 5 years for around 1500.00 dollars. Just cheap insurance against a major repair.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

So let's see:
How much was that lift pump again?
How much did those tires cost?
Oh, had to have the rear rad pulled cored, flushed and filled. What was that cost?
Hum...Alignment?
How about the front bearings being replaced?
That air filter wasn't installed correctly and their engine got dusted. How many $$$$$ will that cost?
that's not really that accurate comparing the two.
about the only ones that would be a lot different between gas and diesel.
are
lift pump and turbo

however would this be monthly cost, yearly, 5 years or 10.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #134

The discussion of expected repair costs should be relative to what the OP is thinking of buying and how long they plan to own the coach.
A new diesel pusher under warranty?
A well maintained low mileage garage-kept unit?
An older high mileage coach with spotty maintenance records?
How often was maintenance performed?
What are the known issues for the particular drive train?
Do they plan to keep the coach for 3 years or 10, and how many miles do they plan to put on it?

So when people talk about their expensive unexpected repairs, a set of variables should be applied (age, mileage, manufacturer, drive train, quality of maintenance, etc.) to see if that coach compares to what the OP plans to buy.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
are
lift pump and turbo

Aside from the not shared components there is the issue of weight. DP's ride better because they weigh more. The extra weight results in higher costs for almost all the parts in the chassis.

There is also the complexity of the chassis. Airbags are around $15,000 to replace plus there is a compressor to run the bags and brakes that you will not find in a gas unit. There are a lot of other reasons why simply changing from a gas chassis to a diesel chassis under the same house adds ~$100,000 to the price tag.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
are
lift pump and turbo

I had written out a reply to this but ya know.....it's just not worth it.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #137

Look around

I have a 35 foot Safari Diesel Pusher I looked around on the internet and found oil out of Nebraska 5 gallons for $57 I found transmission fluid for $37 with $40 shipping both 5 gallon pails found Surplus Allison transmission filters out of Iraq Afghanistan military service Surplus $23 oil and fuel filters about $11 each and I do all the work myself
Kjmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The discussion of expected repair costs should be relative to what the OP is thinking of buying and how long they plan to own the coach.
A new diesel pusher under warranty?
A well maintained low mileage garage-kept unit?
An older high mileage coach with spotty maintenance records?
How often was maintenance performed?
What are the known issues for the particular drive train?
Do they plan to keep the coach for 3 years or 10, and how many miles do they plan to put on it?

So when people talk about their expensive unexpected repairs, a set of variables should be applied (age, mileage, manufacturer, drive train, quality of maintenance, etc.) to see if that coach compares to what the OP plans to buy.
so very true
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I had written out a reply to this but ya know.....it's just not worth it.
lol I know what you mean
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #139

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
And on the good side .....

Just think of the savings $$ in not having to replace spark plugs !
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #140

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Airbags are around $15,000 to replace plus there is a compressor to run the bags and brakes that you will not find in a gas unit.
Ummmm...you "might" want to re-think cost of replacing air bags.(I had all 10 original bags replaced by MOT in Nacogdoces,TX for under $3200. coach had 100k on the clock)
Also Did the full meal deal with air lines @ all 6 wheel positions, caliper pads,wheel bearings & seals for $1500
Serviced (every 2 years ,top and bottom)of the air dryer $75.
still haven't had to replace the main air compressor .. will be a few years yet .
Lookig at replacing the steering box with a "RedHead" rebuilt in the next year or 2.. will be under $1000. all in.

As for the question about replacing the fuel lift pump, don't have one.. (M-11 Cummins)
Did replace both hyd motors for the side radiator $2500 (motors and fan controller are unique to a Foretravel so a bit more cost..
Ran the engine overhead $250.

A set of 8, Toyo M-144 295-75-22.5 $3600 less $1600 when I sold the take-offs to a trucker, gave me a net cost of $2000. for 8 tires installed and bag balanced.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, maintenance