Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #71

Seriously?

If $200 to $300 difference in annual maintenance is changes your world you really should not be considering an RV of any kind. You can't afford it. Just from a drive stability basis alone a diesel Pusher makes way more sense. Drive a diesel. Whole different world of strength & quality. I have all of the filters air, fuel, oil & oil change & chassis check on my 1999 Alpine 40 FDS 350 Cummins and my Onan 7500 generator done at a Diesel Truck Lube mechanic shop for $380. My dually costs almost that much. It has 100k on it and according to the service records and the 7 years we have owned it using it 8 to 15 times a year we have had chassis wise a starter solinoid failure. I decided to replace the starter also $430. House wise we had an HWH controller faliure $600 We are just shy of 100k miles. Other than that standard Brake fluid flish every 3 years $120 and trans service same as you would on a gasser that is it. This is an RV things will break. I was told once that there are 2 things you need to go anywhere in an RV. Boxes of fuses and a bag full of cash.
CarynsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Ok there is another thread running on this Forum with the old, old comparison gas vs. diesel. I chimed in on that thread, but I thought I would add a separate question on diesel rigs only and the truth to the high maintenance costs often brought up by the gas rig crowd. I have a gas rig now, looking to upgrade and DW and I are considering the move to diesel. However, the maintenance and repair stories are a somewhat scary for them. What is the "truth" on diesel expense, engine and drive train not the house?
I made the switch years ago and I am glad I did. I do all of my own maintenance. 1st diesel was a Cummins, sold it with 290,000 miles on it. 2nd one is a CAT, 50K so far. Oil changes are as simple as any gas engine. Just more oil and a larger filter. Buying on line will save you $$ on the filters. I wait until I see the oil on sale at Tractor Supply. Rotella 15W40. Air filters are costly so I did a one time switch to a K&N type unit. Washable, reusable. You'll hear from the "they don't work" crowd, but I religiously have my oil specimens tested by Blackstone and so far, the contaminates found in the oil are less than when I used OEM type paper filters. Coolant can be a pain, unless you switch over to an ELF Extended Life Coolant. Use one recommended by the MFR. The suspension air bags easily last 100K miles +. Brakes are nearly forever if your unit has a working PacBrake. (Lubing the friction points is a must and an add-on for your maintenance schedule). Your maintenance schedule also has to include fuel filters. Two in most cases verses one for a gas rig. Radiator cleaning is at minimum, an annual must do. Rear radiator coaches have the coolant radiator sandwiched with the intercooler for the turbocharger, and the trans cooler. Cleaning from both sides can be done with a thorough soaking with Simple Green Extreme, and water under pressure. Must be done from both sides. Not hard, just messy. Trans service is the same as for gas rigs, just a bit more expensive and two filters instead of none, or one. I pay to have this done.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #73

The oft-repeated argument that gas and a diesel coaches are the same once parked is (generally) not subjectively true. A coach with a diesel engine will just about always be bigger, with significantly more room, more capacity to bring along more things (cargo and toad) , better components, better furnishings and better construction, plus it will get you there more comfortably. Focusing on engine maintenance costs alone ignores the rest of the coach the engine is bolted to.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why we switched from a gasser to an older DP

We started RVing in a small trailer in 1973 while in the Army. In 1978 we moved up to a 24' Prowler TT which we kept until 1987 when we bought our first gasser, a 31' which I cried over as it stayed in the shop 11 months out of the 1st 12 yet I kept it until 1997. We've switched from MH to TT several times (Wife loved TT while I love MH).

In 2018 I finally made the switch to an older DP (07 Meridian 34H) for the following reasons:
1. Biggest complaints we had was with gasser was
a. Easy access for copilot seat, especially after wife had multiple knee replacements,
b. Noise. Wife is a petite thing with a very soft voice which made it very difficult for me to hear her over the engine and road noise. This became even more exasperated after her stokes, and

2. Biggest plusses with gasser were
a. Security as many times we had to travel 16 hours driving time in a short span so would pull into rest area for couple of hours sleep/rest and then hit the road again
b. MPG were tolerable at 9.3 towing (first one only got 5.4 mpg),
c. Ride was very uncomfortable but had nothing to gauge it against, and
d. Mountains caused no problems because I downshifted and let the tranny do the work.

3. Biggest plusses for moving to DP were
a. Comfort while traveling (wife loves to look at the scenery and we can talk easily gong down the road at 62mph),
b. The air brakes an suspension is a plus that we really enjoy (ours is a 4 bagger so we still feel rough roads but nothing like the gasser),
c. Interior quality far superior to new gassers purchased ( this is the first used MH I've owned),
d. A drive to die for (after 4 corner weigh and tire chart PSI adjustment it virtually drives itself even in the wind), and
e. Purchase cost was less than the gassers I had purchased with addition of a 1 yr extended warranty (as I have prepared for the worse case scenario but praying for the best).

4. Biggest negatives are
a. Cost of service (as I'm still recuperating from a broken back so limited in what I can do but I anticipated and planned for major expense in the 1st year) and
b. Haven't been able to use it as much as had planned due to wife's health fluctuating (when she is good we travel, when not, we sit - planning now for spending some time on the road beginning in Jan for a month or two.)

Future plans
a. If I am still uncertain about major expense repairs possible (engine, trans, HWH) then I will extend the warranty for another 12 months. The cost is worth it to me as it purchases peace of mind.

All-in-all, I realized my DP had the possibility of costing me more than I wanted to spend if a major problem arose, but set aside the money to cover it and then bought some peace of mind insurance to ease the pain.

Normal service will be mine next year if I continue to heal as progressing so will be less than with gasser, which I didn't do myself.

I'm doing a lot of studying on my DP. Downloaded HWH Online material for air and jacks, DP Service Manual and spending alot of time in iRV2 taking in all the sage advice shared here.

I guess its all in what you want and are willing to pay for.

Gather your information, weigh your wants and abilities then decide and enjoy. Richard
Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #75

Huge difference for me to go diesel is

1) Diesel Generator
2) No high priced and hard to get propane
3) Comfort in extended cold weather camping without having to have a propane tank brought to the site
4) Longer intervals between fuel stops, stop as planned not as needed
5) Resale value
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
Meet a camp host in upper-end Class A DP with engine problems. He was quoted 20,000 to 30,000 to rebuild the engine and the won't know the true cost till they get into the engine. He was lucky enough to find a campground that allowed him to have the Class A DP towed into a camping spot and he works at the campgrounds to cover fees. They have been working part-time and are getting close to having the funds to have their motorhome repaired. The moral to this story is whatever you decided be sure you have the funds to fix it if breaks down. Maybe this guy would have been better off with a 5th wheel since he could have bought a used truck for the same amount of money that he going to spend to fix his motorhome.

Maybe we should all have 5ers since an engine rebuild on DP could cost as much as used truck
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Meet a camp host in upper-end Class A DP with engine problems. He was quoted 20,000 to 30,000 to rebuild the engine and the won't know the true cost till they get into the engine. He was lucky enough to find a campground that allowed him to have the Class A DP towed into a camping spot and he works at the campgrounds to cover fees. They have been working part-time and are getting close to having the funds to have their motorhome repaired. The moral to this story is whatever you decided be sure you have the funds to fix it if breaks down. Maybe this guy would have been better off with a 5th wheel since he could have bought a used truck for the same amount of money that he going to spend to fix his motorhome.

Maybe we should all have 5ers since an engine rebuild on DP could cost as much as used truck

I have a friend who DP has been at s Carson City shop all summer , should be about done now , last price I heard was 32,000 for engine replacement.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #78

Hummmmm! All the trucking companies have it wrong.They should be operating gassers as they have less costly maintance ??? Dont think that is correct.
retired long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #79

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like my 5er that had a leaking gray tank. Called one place they said that they booked ahead for 3 months but I could drop it off and wait. Called another shop and they said to drop by on Wednesday and I got back on Friday. It shouldn't take all summer to replace an engine. The cost is a issue if you don't have the available funds to pay cost of the repair no matter if it's 5,000 for gas engine repair or 32,000 for diesel engine repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I have a friend who DP has been at s Carson City shop all summer , should be about done now , last price I heard was 32,000 for engine replacement.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired long View Post
Hummmmm! All the trucking companies have it wrong.They should be operating gassers as they have less costly maintance ??? Dont think that is correct.
If your MH has a gross weight of 80,000 lbs and you plan on 50,000 miles a year, you're absolutely right.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Like my 5er that had a leaking gray tank. Called one place they said that they booked ahead for 3 months but I could drop it off and wait. Called another shop and they said to drop by on Wednesday and I got back on Friday. It shouldn't take all summer to replace an engine. The cost is a issue if you don't have the available funds to pay cost of the repair not matter if 5,000 for gas engine repair or 32,000 for diesel engine repair.

They already paid 1300.00 to have it towed from one shop to this one . The next neared shop who would look at it was much farther tow.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #82

Quote:

Commercial trucking companies need to haul 80,000 lbs and run a mil miles with that diesel motor. It's all about having the right tool to do the job. Most MH's don't ever haul 80,000 lbs or are expected to log in a mil miles, making a diesel MH a luxury item just like a Cadillac. I also enjoy luxury and have a diesel Chevy to pull my fifth wheel, but I know a gas dually would also do the job.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #83

Quote:
That is precisely why UPS moved away from diesel for local package delivery in many/most places.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Ok there is another thread running on this Forum with the old, old comparison gas vs. diesel. I chimed in on that thread, but I thought I would add a separate question on diesel rigs only and the truth to the high maintenance costs often brought up by the gas rig crowd. I have a gas rig now, looking to upgrade and DW and I are considering the move to diesel. However, the maintenance and repair stories are a somewhat scary for them. What is the "truth" on diesel expense, engine and drive train not the house?

I had a 2003 gulf strean 40DP with a cummins when I went full time, I had over 350k miles on it since I drove it throughout the USA multiple times. overall maintenance averaged 250 per month since I drove it a lot. I did have to replace the serpentine pulleys (1200.00) that radiator (3000.00) and the exhaust (1200.00) and last but not least the air bags on 2 corners (600.00)that was not added into the average since they were major breakdowns not maintenance. I averages 1500-2000 per year on just fixing things on the DP. Since I quit full timing I downgraded to a smaller unit 2001 tiffin (gas 28ft.) and have over 200k on it and I bought it with 50k. I average per month about 85.00 on maintenance. Just this year I replaced all the brakes and rotors 90.00(x4 times) for calipers. 62.46 (x2 times) for front rotors 65.00 (x2 times)30.00 per for rubber lines and 88.00 for a master cylinder. this did not need to be done but I just didn't trust the bendix calipers to live on this trip to the mountains and back. so 700.00 or so for brakes and peace of mind. or 58.00 per month added to my 85 per =143 a month

does it ride as good as my DP? nope. but the money I've saved on maintenance and just plain not driving it as far or as much has saved me a bundle and I can still do all the repairs on the gas rig up to and including replacing the engine if needed since I have the room and equipment to do it. and towing a toad 2005 minivan= 8.2 MPG with the smaller gas unit which surprised me to no end since I though I'd get 6MPG or so.

Tags
diesel, maintenance