Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm trying to figure what size tire covers I should get for my 305/70/22.5 tires. Measuring the tire's diameter I get 39" and the Michelin Tire brochure says it's 39.1 inch. All the tire covers come in 36-39" and 40-42". Since my tires are at the very top size of the 36-39 ones I can't tell if that size would be too tight to cover them but the 40-42 could be so baggy the wind would keep blowing them off.
I know a lot of the covers come with a bunge cord to keep them on but I can't imagine at my age being able to reach around behind 8 tires to connect a bunge into the gromet holes.
Anyone faced this problem and solved it?

Definitely get the larger size!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I was going to go with the Magne Shade tire covers but now you guys have me wondering!...

harleyjt - Do the SnapRing TireSavers hang on the tire nice and flat? I can see that if they are too big they will bunch up at the bottom. I'd really prefer they not touch the ground.

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I was going to go with the Magne Shade tire covers but now you guys have me wondering!...

harleyjt - Do the SnapRing TireSavers hang on the tire nice and flat? I can see that if they are too big they will bunch up at the bottom. I'd really prefer they not touch the ground.
Mine definitely touch the ground, by a couple of inches. It appears they are made that way as the bottom is cut flat. Mine are the extra large size as my tire diameter measured 39" (235/80x22.5 tires). They fit the tire well - as would be expected, the tire fills up the cover pretty well. As far as how they lay on the tire, they lay pretty true to the tire - the welt bead is pretty well seated against the tire at the outer edge of the tread. I'm not sure why you don't want them touching the ground. I just pull them off, shake them out and I'm good to go.

jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen, not only is your tire large, but also wide. I have both the 36"-39" covers left over from my Monaco, but two of the 40"-42" covers I had to buy for the tag axle. The 40"-42" fit much better and are easier to install. I've always bought the Camco brand because they were easy to find. On the Camco, they have a 3" lip over the back edge that keeps them on.

My coach is not necessarily in a windy area, so my covers have never blown off. When I get home from a trip, I slip the covers on and then air down the coach. I only use covers when parked at home.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Mine definitely touch the ground, by a couple of inches. It appears they are made that way as the bottom is cut flat. Mine are the extra large size as my tire diameter measured 39" (235/80x22.5 tires). They fit the tire well - as would be expected, the tire fills up the cover pretty well. As far as how they lay on the tire, they lay pretty true to the tire - the welt bead is pretty well seated against the tire at the outer edge of the tread. I'm not sure why you don't want them touching the ground. I just pull them off, shake them out and I'm good to go.

jt
Not a big deal but I just wanted to keep them out of the mud/dirt.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #20

I'd go with the "extra-large" bus size---I use the bungee cord covers from CW. I just permanently attach the other end of the bungee cord to the cover with an s-hook. Put the cord over the top of the tire first, then position the cover on the tire. The cord rides up over the axle but hold the ends of the cover tightly in-place--no crawling around behind the tire to thread the cord---works for me
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought covers to fit the 305/70 tires on the front of our Dutch Star, then bought the Magna which has 365/70 front and tag and 315/80 drive axle tires. Had to go buy all new covers and even then had to get two that were no quite big enough. One has started to rip after only three times on the tire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Allen, not only is your tire large, but also wide. I have both the 36"-39" covers left over from my Monaco, but two of the 40"-42" covers I had to buy for the tag axle. The 40"-42" fit much better and are easier to install. I've always bought the Camco brand because they were easy to find. On the Camco, they have a 3" lip over the back edge that keeps them on.

My coach is not necessarily in a windy area, so my covers have never blown off. When I get home from a trip, I slip the covers on and then air down the coach. I only use covers when parked at home.
Thanks Don. Having both sizes to try on the same coach as mine definitely conveniences me to go with the larger size. Since the ads label the larger size as "Bus" was what was kind of scaring me to go with the larger. I had used the ADCO brand back when I was driving a gasser because Camping World had a good deal at the time. Now they are carrying an Elements brand, which I'm not familiar with but they have a "buy one get one free" till January 31.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #23

Thanks Don. It is Recreational Vehicles Windshield Covers and RV Tire Covers

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #24

Newbie question.. If we are planning on touring more than parking weeks at a time is this a must purchase now or can we wait until we are back home and parked for 3 weeks or more?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check out the Magne Shade covers: Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade

Also, you don't need eight covers, only six.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
Newbie question.. If we are planning on touring more than parking weeks at a time is this a must purchase now or can we wait until we are back home and parked for 3 weeks or more?
Didn't look like you got an answer to your question so I'll give it a whirl. Occasionally we will be parked in a very open sunny CG for a couple of weeks and I will use the covers, any less time and I don't. Traveling for weeks at a time spending very little time in one place I certainly wouldn't worry about covering. At home when parked for several weeks, sometimes 2-3 months, I will cover mine.
Have fun and travel safe.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I just received my Magne Shade tire covers last week. I put them on and didn't tell the wife. She walked past them for a whole day before she noticed they were there. I couldn't be happier with them. I received the windshield shade yesterday and will install it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0753.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	116933  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote