Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Trying to decide Newmar or Holiday

2 coaches same year 2009s same $$$$$$. close to same mileage 14000, + - 2000 of each other. 1 tag (newmar 43ft) 1 no tag (holiday 40 ft ). Both ride and drive great. Same floorplan. Same basics (tvs, king beds, frige, tile, carpet, basement trays 2 each, new batteries,& tires, Newmar has the aqua hot (desiel) heat and hot water system. Holiday does not. ( Newmar has some little things Holiday does not, Holiday has some little things Newmar does not.) not a deciding factores. Newmar as 4point leveling. Holiday has 3 point leveling. Heard 4 point levling pops solid front winshields? Holiday 3point Seems like it may rock a little more?. Seems like a pain to put pad under front foot when encountering softer ground. (under center between capton chairs) . Also heard Holiday has had some leak problems in wet bay area on slide by sink. This one seems fine. Any one have pros and cons. Like them both

gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Any difference in motors?

hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think that the tag, aqua hot and 3 more ft of living space in the Newmar would be a huge benefit. If I liked both floor plans it would be a easy decision for me.
Mike, Lora and Bebe
05 Safari Simba 37 PCT, WorkHorse W22, Koni FSD, CrossFire, Rear Trak-Bar, SG2
Ready Brute w/ Ready Brake, Safe-T-Plus, 05 GMC Envoy
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
same size engines 400hp
Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The only mistake I made when buying was not getting a TAG AXLE! and then go from there. Number 1 priority next time.
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
I am partial to Newmar but even if I was not, I would probably go for the Newmar. Sounds like more coach for the money with some things that make it a better coach. Just my 2 cents.
Dan and Kathryn DeBruin plus dogs
2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4009
Victor NY
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
As you can see by my signature we went with a Monaco, but in this case if both floor plans are pretty much equal and work for you I have to agree that I would go for the Newmar, the tag axle and aquahot alone would be the deciding factor.

We went with the Diplomat over a Dutch Star cause of floorplan, and have to say preferred the handling of the RoadMaster RR10 Chassis.
But would definitely prefer the tag to non tag chassis.
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
hey trapps. have ya heard of or had problems with wet bay slide leaks?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
3point level

Traps 90 one more thing how about the 3point leveling any coments
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Three point leveling is not an issue. I use my awning rod to place the blocks. The rear are actually harder for me to reach for some reason. I would sure love a tag axel and the more I think about it the aquahot would have been a bit better for boondocking because of getting fuel. I think I like the idea of the Nemar because they have not been into bankruptcy??? No telling how sincere the current company is going to be. I went thorough this with an airplane mfgr. Each new one promised support and better features. The company no longer exists.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
I've had 2 newmars that I have never had any problems with,If I were to get anything it would be a newmar.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
I know you said the rides were both good, and I like and recommend tags and Aqua Hot. But I wonder what model the Holiday is, so we can understand the chassis. Roadmaster has entry - mid - higher end chassis, all dependent upon model.

Three feet makes a difference too...

So probably regardless of the chassis, I would lean towards the Newmar. Just wondering which one it is...

The ISL is in our 40' Country Coach with tag, in 370HP version (same 1200 lbs torque). And I do note that the extra weight of the tag, does get felt when climbing hills. I would imagine the 43' would have 3' more of weight over the 40', and then add in the weight, and you may find you have more power to weight ratio with the Holiday. To me, I would still go with the Newmar for the reasons stated, but it could be a bit slower on the hills.

I like the higher up the food chain Monaco's, Dynasty/Executive (and equivalent in the Beaver/Holiday brand) - so not knocking Monaco.

Best of luck on your decision.
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
Based on the info given, I'd go with the Newmar for sure. The tag will give you a better ride and, more importantly, thousands of pounds more CCC. And the Aqua-Hot is a several-thousand-$ option on any coach. In fact, I would guess that the original MSRP (not that it really matters) of the Newmar was much higher than the HR.

But as with any used coach, make sure the tires, batteries, etc. are good, and if not, negotiate new ones into the deal, or add the replacement cost to your comparison.

Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote