Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #1

Trying to find 1st RV - HELP

My wife and I are searching for our 1st RV. I have been going through all the for sale sites and dealers for months. I'm looking for any suggestions on models I should look at.

We will be traveling alone (two adults / two dogs) 60% of the time. The remainder we will have 1-2 of our kids (young adults in their 20s) with us.

wife wants a Class C - mainly because she feels it will be easier to drive and she likes the overhead bunk and not having to make someone sleep on a dinette or jack-knife couch.

I would like a Class A because we will be moving a lot and I don't want to mess with manual leveling jacks. I would also prefer something on a bigger chassis that rides better.

We are definitely looking to buy used and are trying to keep it at less than $50k.

I remember seeing a Class A that had a "suite" in the middle. The bed pulled out into a nice queen bed and you could close some doors and basically have two bedrooms. I don't remember what it was.

We will be driving from Texas to Florida often so we need something reliable.

Thanks for tossing out any models for me to research!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

Here is my list so far.

1999 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35 / 32k miles / $27,995 DP
2000 Newmar Kountry Star 3565 / 59k miles / $34,900 DP
2000 Winnebago Journey 36L / 59k miles / $37,500 DP
2000 Monaco Windsor / miles / $39,995 DP
2001 Monaco Knight 38PBT / 57k miles / $39,900 DP
2002 Newmar Dutch Star 3456 / 61k miles / $29,900 DP
2002 Forest River Windsong 33 / 61k miles / $29,900 GAS
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V / 53k miles / $29,999 GAS
2004 Coachmen Aurora 3480 / 12k miles / $29,995 GAS
2004 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS / 25k miles / $39,883 GAS
2004 Monaco Monarch SE 37PCT / 43k miles / $37,800 GAS
2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R / 24k miles / $34,500 GAS
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 35E / 6k miles / $45,000 GAS
2007 Fleetwood Terra Bunks / 34k miles / $47,900 GAS

== OUT OF OUR PRICE RANGE ==
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z / 22k miles / $56,200 GAS
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 38N / 65k miles / $62,000 DP
2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39L / 60k miles / $73,000 DP
2009 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38P / 25k miles / $83,500 GAS
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

No matter what class you purchase the first and foremost is the layout! There are certain things that are a must for me. Kitchen counter space, lots of storage, walk around bed, bed must have a headboard. We had two coaches with walk-thru bathrooms of which allows for complete separation while sleeping. I would also suggest at least one slide in the living room especially if you are planning on overnight guests.

We have gone through the ranks... Class C, a Class A Gasser and Class A FRED and now a Class A DP/5 slides. Although a DP does have it's merits it also is more expensive to maintain. I personally would not revert back to a Class A as I hated the huge doghouse in the front of which was a nuisance when moving from front to back. If you have the time I suggest you rent before you buy. And when you view a coach make sure that you open each and every cabinet to check for water marks and de-lamination and make sure that the root cause has been detected and fixed as this would be my primary concern with an older unit. Not saying that it is a deal breaker but it certainly should be taken into consideration.

And as someone advised us....choose a coach that meets your needs and not the exception. At one point in time we considered purchasing a bunkhouse for when the grandchildren accompany us. Glad we didn't go that route as they are with us less than 10% of the time. The 10% when the kids and grandchildren are with us we make do!

Good luck,

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
My wife and I are searching for our 1st RV. I have been going through all the for sale sites and dealers for months. I'm looking for any suggestions on models I should look at.

We will be traveling alone (two adults / two dogs) 60% of the time. The remainder we will have 1-2 of our kids (young adults in their 20s) with us.

wife wants a Class C - mainly because she feels it will be easier to drive and she likes the overhead bunk and not having to make someone sleep on a dinette or jack-knife couch.

I would like a Class A because we will be moving a lot and I don't want to mess with manual leveling jacks. I would also prefer something on a bigger chassis that rides better.

We are definitely looking to buy used and are trying to keep it at less than $50k.

I remember seeing a Class A that had a "suite" in the middle. The bed pulled out into a nice queen bed and you could close some doors and basically have two bedrooms. I don't remember what it was.

We will be driving from Texas to Florida often so we need something reliable.

Thanks for tossing out any models for me to research!
Needs, floor plan you can live with, available budget sets the initial start point. Class C's have automatic Jacks now. I had a Forest River Forester that had the automatic jacks. Your budget from my experience will get you a pretty nice Class C. There are stories where you can get a dependable Class A gasser to. Diesel Pushers which give you the larger chassis and normally a bettter ride is going to be more difficult to find at your budget. Research, patience, research are going to come in handy to maximize your purchase.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

FWIW jacks are optional. I would not buy them on a C. Unless you are super sensitive to any wiggle they are simply one more expensive failure point. We seldom level as we can usually park "good enuf" with a bit of wiggling.

The overhead bunk will quickly become a major inside storage point. Forget about it being a bed. Do get a good couch. ;-)

With your budget I would not touch a diesel unless I had a friend who was a diesel mechanic and owed me big time.

A 30 ft range C is real. Shorter and you cannot get away from each other and the guest. They do not go bigger in a C. You can probably go newer than what you are finding and stay under $50,000. Save money for new tires as you will probably need them.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

We travel with two girls, ages 9 and 12, and are currently modifying our Class A to include bunk beds. In my military career, I spent nearly two years sleeping in bunks on various Navy ships, and found them quite comfortable. Two young adults in their twenties would likely fit very nicely. We really like the floorplan of the current Fleetwood Excursion 35E. Most class A units are designed for two travelers who share a bed, but there are some older Class A units with bunks in your price range. It's worth a look. When the bunks are no longer needed, the space they occupy could be converted into storage space for other things, or kept intact for the grandchildren that most of us wish for.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We were in that same position 15 years ago. We rented numerous ones, both A's and C's before we purchased.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out PPL Motorhomes.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

I would think with a budget of $50K, and being patient searching you should be able to find a good used coach. As mentioned I'd look at PPL web site to give you a good idea what coach's in your price range are available. There's also a place on PPL's web site where you can see the actual sale prices. It's good info to have. I would also be looking at diesel's for carrying capacity, and comfort. If your diligent in your search, and stay with quality, like Newmar, Tiffin, Monaco, etc., and make sure you get complete maint. records, you'll be fine. As an example I just sold my Newmar Dutch Star for less than $50K.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

thanks to all who chimed in... I was originally on a rush internet search to try and find something in time for a Christmas road trip - but, I'm finding that would be foolish - to try and buy something in less than 4 weeks, not be able to do a proper shakedown and then drive it from Texas to Florida and back. So, I think for now I'm going to keep researching and see what used RVs turn up when the 2017 models come out next year. I have looked at PPL and also MHSRV. I really expected to go to MHSRV and have dozens to look at, but it seems their used inventory is on the low side this time of year?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:

!
You are describing the Thor Challenger 37 KT. It has sliding doors that separate the cab and LR (with its couch that opens to a queen bed) from the rear. I don't see it on your list. You may need to look for Damen Challengers in your price range. Thor bought Damen a few years ago.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
thanks to all who chimed in... I was originally on a rush internet search to try and find something in time for a Christmas road trip - but, I'm finding that would be foolish - to try and buy something in less than 4 weeks, not be able to do a proper shakedown and then drive it from Texas to Florida and back. So, I think for now I'm going to keep researching and see what used RVs turn up when the 2017 models come out next year. I have looked at PPL and also MHSRV. I really expected to go to MHSRV and have dozens to look at, but it seems their used inventory is on the low side this time of year?
Keep looking and do not discount an early purchase. When the right one comes by you have to be ready to commit. It seems like the really good ones do not last long on the market.

Before purchasing make sure the floorplan is what fits your current and expected needs. Nothing worse than being inside for a day or two because of inclement weather and being in each others way.

Make a list of what you would like in a unit and get as many of those features as you can.