Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Trying to resurrect Grandpa's 1990 Bounder.. old fuel.

Hi guys, hoping someone has some advice to help me out with.

My wife and kids have been living with my Father in Law for the last half year helping with his medical care (dementia, cancer etc ) He was an avid RV enthusiast and he'd like one last trip to the beach in his trusty Bounder.

Its a 1990 Chevy chassis bounder, and it hasn't moved in 10 years. This leaves us with 25 gallons of 10 year old gas in the tank, not great.

I need to get the gas out, but I'm not sure how. The fill pipe is long and twisted, hard to get a hose into the tank.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting that old gas out? I'm hoping we can get the gas out and get it running so we can move it under its own power to get new tires and take it to the RV place for a solid inspection and repairs. The cost for towing from Simi Valley down to Ventura was shockingly high.

I'm assuming this: is the fuel filter (inside of the passenger side frame rail).

Thanks!
Ronmocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What a terrific gesture you are making. Did you look to see if there's a drain plug? If there's not, can you just disconnect one of the fuel hoses and drain it from there? Best of luck! /ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Welcome to IRV2!
I'm sorry I can't help you with your question.
Your family's care of your wife's father is good to hear.
Our son who lives in Ventura has had good luck recently getting into Emma Woods State Beach without reservations mid-week.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
What a terrific gesture you are making. Did you look to see if there's a drain plug? If there's not, can you just disconnect one of the fuel hoses and drain it from there? Best of luck! /ken
I looked all under the tank, there's unfortunately no drain plug.

I figure the best thing to do is going to be disconnecting the fuel line going to the filter and getting the gas out that way barring any magic solutions

This family has so many amazing memories from a lifetime of RV destinations, I would like to honor that before dementia makes it impossible for him to enjoy.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

You could replace that fuel filter with an inexpensive, generic, electric fuel pump & pump all that old fuel out.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder if you could replace the fuel filter with a length of hose and possibly siphon the fuel out?

Does the unit have a tank pump? If it does replacing the fuel filter with a length of hose to a pail and turning on the ignitions may have the tank pump run the fuel out.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Maybe the better part of valor(and your checkbook) would be to rent an RV for a few days. New tires, updating maintenance, etc. could easily run $3000-4000.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

You can disconnect the fuel line at the filter and then find the fuel pump relay, put a jumper wire between the continuous 12v power supply wire to the wire that runs the pump.

I'm with TurtleKent, a rv that has been sitting for 10 years will probably require a few grand to make it road worthy for even one trip.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you been able to start the engine?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you been able to start the engine?
Yes, the engine fired right up with a little fresh gas in the carb.

I know its going to cost us dearly to fix this up compared to just renting one, but they traveled to 49 states in this particular RV, its very important to him.

He really wants our family to take it once he's gone (which will be in the next 4 - 6 months) and use it, and getting it fixed up is part of respecting those wishes.

Thanks for the ideas, I like the idea of pulling the fuel filter and finding a small electric filter or jumping the fuel pump relay. I'll work on those tomorrow.

I appreciate it all.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

My advice may be a bit late, but you say the engine runs and you just want to get it to a local RV shop. It might be easier to go get 5 gallons of high octane fuel to blend with the old stuff. If you know a station that sells the super high octane for boats, that would even be better. Even if the old gas is ten years old, it will probably still burn. It won't win any races, but it will get you to a shop a few miles away.

I have an old Porsche that has been in my garage for nearly fifteen years. We replaced the battery and fired it up last year to relocate it and it ran pretty good on that old gas.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
In addition to the gas in the tank, I would wonder about the old gas in the carb, and the resultant varnish which will gum up the ports in the carb. I would also get the carb cleaned and a carb kit installed. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a rebuild carb off the shelf, and return the old one for a core exchange.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I heard a product named Seafoam that is supposed to help with old gas. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
My advice may be a bit late, but you say the engine runs and you just want to get it to a local RV shop. It might be easier to go get 5 gallons of high octane fuel to blend with the old stuff. If you know a station that sells the super high octane for boats, that would even be better. Even if the old gas is ten years old, it will probably still burn. It won't win any races, but it will get you to a shop a few miles away.

I have an old Porsche that has been in my garage for nearly fifteen years. We replaced the battery and fired it up last year to relocate it and it ran pretty good on that old gas.
I agree.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fuel