Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

TSD Discount Question

In AZ, RV's are exempt from the $.08 fuel tax that OTR trucks have to pay. You have to go in and tell the cashier that you are an RV. You then go fuel up and come back to the desk, sign in with License number and State and then pay with any credit card and save the $.08/gallon. I've never done this at a Loves TS. Has anyone asked for the RV tax discount at Loves and the paid with the EFS card for the .08 in addition to the $.40 to $.50 savings the card gets? Just wondering. Another $8 on top of the $45 saved adds up.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Watching as I'm leaving for Quartzsite on Friday.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #3

Well this is interesting? I never knew about this. But up front my thoughts are, I'll bet you anything that when you go inside to tell them that, you're that RV at pump 15 and you want that .08 savings price, they'll say sure. Fill out this info and leave your credit with me.

No way Jose.

I doubt few if any will let you go out and pump 40, 50, 60 100 gallons and then come back any pay without your leaving your CC with them.

At one place last summer, I had a station attendant tell me to leave my CC with him. I said no way. He said ok. Just buy $100 worth of gas now on your CC and if it doesn't take that much I will credit it back to your card automatically. I was hesitant but said OK. So I bought $100 of gas and then proceeded to go outside and pump.

I ended up pumping about $82 worth of gas. I didn't trust this "automatic credit back stuff". So I went back inside after pumping and told the guy, "ok I'm done. Did you credit me back the difference of $12"? He said, "Oh, so sorry no. Here, I'll do it now".

Again, No way Jose.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

The process is to let them know you are an RV and what pump you are at. Then leave your card with them. I've done that for years with no problems. If you are against that, then setup a CC account with only a $250 credit limit. Leave that card with them, but use your regular card to pay. Not much risk with that.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well this is interesting? I never knew about this. But up front my thoughts are, I'll bet you anything that when you go inside to tell them that, you're that RV at pump 15 and you want that .08 savings price, they'll say sure. Fill out this info and leave your credit with me.

No way Jose.

I doubt few if any will let you go out and pump 40, 50, 60 100 gallons and then come back any pay without your leaving your CC with them.

At one place last summer, I had a station attendant tell me to leave my CC with him. I said no way. He said ok. Just buy $100 worth of gas now on your CC and if it doesn't take that much I will credit it back to your card automatically. I was hesitant but said OK. So I bought $100 of gas and then proceeded to go outside and pump.

I ended up pumping about $82 worth of gas. I didn't trust this "automatic credit back stuff". So I went back inside after pumping and told the guy, "ok I'm done. Did you credit me back the difference of $12"? He said, "Oh, so sorry no. Here, I'll do it now".

Again, No way Jose.
You left 6 bucks there. Do the math.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

There is no risk when you use a actual credit card no matter what. I don't worry about it . One of my cards was hacked for around $18,000 once when I was on assignment in the NorthEast right after Hurricane Sandy hit. The Credit Union representative said "Don't worry about it". I called VISA and they said "Don't worry about it" I called the police and they said "Don't worry about it". I do check the CC Bills at each billing cycle.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

No way Jose.

Again, No way Jose.
Never had an issue and it’s not the clerk that has to remember it’s automatically refunded. My rig has a 150 gallon tank plus DEF. When I’m real low on diesel I may need 125 gallons. I authorize $350-400 depending on how low I am. Regardless of where I stop the pump, I get a receipt and leave. By the time I walk out I already have a text on my phone from American Express of how much my card was charged. No credit needed.

Credit card statements always match up. Never an issue.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The process is to let them know you are an RV and what pump you are at. Then leave your card with them. I've done that for years with no problems. If you are against that, then setup a CC account with only a $250 credit limit. Leave that card with them, but use your regular card to pay. Not much risk with that.
I have not been asked to leave a credit card in probably 15+ years. The only question is how much do I want to authorize.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
In AZ, RV's are exempt from the $.08 fuel tax that OTR trucks have to pay. You have to go in and tell the cashier that you are an RV. You then go fuel up and come back to the desk, sign in with License number and State and then pay with any credit card and save the $.08/gallon. I've never done this at a Loves TS. Has anyone asked for the RV tax discount at Loves and the paid with the EFS card for the .08 in addition to the $.40 to $.50 savings the card gets? Just wondering. Another $8 on top of the $45 saved adds up.
How did you hear about this as I wonder if other states offer this
Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
How did you hear about this as I wonder if other states offer this and what does TSD mean?
Thanks for this tax discount heads up.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #11

I don't recall where I heard it, but have been doing it at a couple of independent stations for a few years. If you fill up at the auto/diesel pumps in the front, the price does not have the $.08 tax included. I just have not asked for it at Loves. It should work, as it is separate from the EFS discount Not sure what other states, if any, offer the same.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

“How did you hear about this as I wonder if other states offer this and what does TSD mean?
Thanks for this tax discount heads up.”

Lenny, I think the link below (go to fuel services) refers to a card that many Rvers are using to buy “diesel” fuel at 30-40 cents per gal below posted price. Those who have used for several months say it works and saves them $$$ on each fillup. I just got mine and have not used. You normally use the card to pay at pumps, such as Love, in the truck lanes.
But, Crasher’s main question seemed to ask “could he avoid the tax and go inside to pay rather than at the pump”. In that case they get the added tax removed, and use the TSD/EFS card to pay inside to get his TSD credit too. I was not aware that you could get the AZ tax removed and don’t know what the answer to the question would be, so I’m following.
Link: https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
In the case of the OP, his coach is over 26,000 pounds so he is not exempt from paying the 8 cents. The TSD card is only good at the truck pumps which has the 8 cents tacked on.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
TSD Discount Question

Private Rv’s not used in business .. even those over 26000 lbs are exempt from the higher AZ commercial truck fuel tax. This has been argued on forums for some time. Almost 5 years! And the poorly worded law miss information stays out there . If you look on most pumps I notice the state now has a disclaimer posted. The Escapees ,I believe , are the ones who clarified this some years ago. No higher tax for private vehicles. No matter the weight

https://www.google.com/amp/rvlife.co...for-rvers/amp/

To the question on is this possible in other states NO this is a AZ only issue.
I have no idea how TSD ... EFS fueling card handles the extra 8cents would be interested to find out.