Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

TST 507 Flow through question

I have metal valve stems on my tires but no fancy extenders or anything else. I am able to check the tire pressures using a good quality crows foot style gauge. Will I be ok adding the flow through sensors without any extra support for the valve stems and will I still be able to access them with my tire gauge? My fronts are not an issue. On my rear duals, the outside tire valve stems point to the inside and I need to use the crows foot. On the inners, the valve stems point to the outside and are accessed through the hole in the beauty ring.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Why do you have to check the tire pressure with a manual gauge? Turn on the TST monitor and read all the pressures.

I found the flow thru sensors less water proof than the caps, and now just use the caps on all tires. Outside of end of fall when colder temps hit, I don't have to add any air during the year.

Just turn on the monitor, verify pressures are correct, do your walk around, and go.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Why do you have to check the tire pressure with a manual gauge? Turn on the TST monitor and read all the pressures.

I found the flow thru sensors less water proof than the caps, and now just use the caps on all tires. Outside of end of fall when colder temps hit, I don't have to add any air during the year.

Just turn on the monitor, verify pressures are correct, do your walk around, and go.
I was under the impression from reading post on the forum that the sensors accuracy was off a few pounds. Maybe that's not really an issue. My question should have been more directed at accessibility to add air without changing my current valve stems and any issues related to the larger flow through sensors on an unsupported metal valve stem. I keep going back and forth on deciding between the flow through vs the non flow through. I also rarely need to add pressure to my tires. If the TST provides an accurate pressure, I could certainly live with the smaller non flow through sensors and remove the sensors to add air when needed.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience has been, that the flow thru sensors are more error prone. I've had a couple stop working, and when I opened them to check the batteries they are moist/damp inside. Additionally, I don't believe the signals from the flow thru are as strong as from the caps, and had a couple whose signal strength doesn't reach the display.

TST swapped out my flow thru's and replaced w/caps. If I have to add air, I just simply remove the cap to add air (which is rare).

Like any consumer meter or gauge, I don't trust anything to be Mil-Spec accurate......so I personally just have added 5 psi to my weight tire calculations, which should minimize the effects of any errors and being under pressure.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have both flow through and caps. Replacing all to caps as the flow through need attention. On the rare occation I need to adjust the air pressure it's easy to spin off the cap sensor.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have 10 of the TST Flow Through sensors. No issues on un supported valve stems, no issues with them at all. I change the batteries once a year just because I don't want to deal with it on the road.

Highly recommend the Flow Through sensors.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

I have the 507 non flow through and I removed the "anti theft" case. Essentially unscrewing one of these is an action step not much different than unscrewing the cap off the flow through. But you shouldn't be doing either very often. My system is less than a year old but I am very satisfied. They are quite accurate and as another poster mentioned you check pressure through the system readout....no more bending!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TST 507 steer.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	140357   Click image for larger version

Name:	TST 507 drive.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	140358  

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

My TST 507 initially came with flow-through sensors. I had intermittent issues with some of them, and a couple just wouldn't read. They also stuck out more than the cap sensors, and seemed to have a bit more mass to them. In addition, the tiny locking allen bolt on the side of the sensors was a huge PITA for installation or removal. Unless they are really tight, it is possible to force them off by twisting CCW, which also ruins the stem threads. This would occur in a theft situation.

TST told me they no longer recommend the flow-through sensors, and replaced all 12 of mine with cap sensors. The lock is much easier to install or remove, and they've been very reliable. I have noticed on both types that there is a couple of # difference between what my pressure gauge reads and what the sensors display, but it's pretty consistent with all of the sensors. The tires retain their pressures well so I have yet to remove the cap sensors to top things off.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

I have the EEZTire system and went with the button style rather than flow through. In reference to accuracy, all mine read about 3-4 psi less than my gauges. I have simply made a mental note of this and when I get ready for a day's drive, turn the system on a few minutes before departure, let the system warm up, and check the monitor for the readings. If it's been a while since I have driven, I will check the night before incase an adjustment is necessary.