Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
My real issue when I first posted my question came from the temperature readings on the TST TPMS on all six tires after driving 2 hours at highway speed being between 84 and 91 degrees with ambient temperature at 84 degrees when the sidewall readings with a digital infra red thermometer being between 116 and 130 degrees. The average pressure increase was 13 pounds. If I waited until the TPMS alarmed high temperature at the preset 158 degree mark, theoretically the pressure would have increased an average of 66 pounds per tire. I would think this is way above failure pressure.

Maybe I am not thinking or applying the correct logic but it appears to me that the TPMS is actually just reading ambient and externally radiated temperature and not internal tire temperature as advertised. If this is the case, even using this system just for comparative reference as suggested earlier doesn't even make sense as the pressure increase would reflect any issue way before the temperature displayed would. I did find the pressure difference displayed on the TPMS is within the 2% of actual cold or hot but feel I really can not depend on the temperature displayed at all. The main reason for originally posting was to see if anyone got TPMS displayed temperature with external sensors that was close to actual and if the issue was with my unit not the TST system.

Thanks to all of you for responding. Your input as always is very appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My TPMS sensor cycles through tbe tires. When it does not recieve a new reading it sounds an alarm and the display for that tire goes blank. It has happened several times. For whatever reason the sensor stops sending. I have to loosen the set screw. Unscrew the sensor a few threads and then screw it back on and it will start again. But the instant the monitor does not get a signal it sounds an alarm. Not sometime in the future when I shut it off and back on but right then.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
My TPMS sensor cycles through tbe tires. When it does not recieve a new reading it sounds an alarm and the display for that tire goes blank. It has happened several times. For whatever reason the sensor stops sending. I have to loosen the set screw. Unscrew the sensor a few threads and then screw it back on and it will start again. But the instant the monitor does not get a signal it sounds an alarm. Not sometime in the future when I shut it off and back on but right then.
I rechecked the manual and sure enough it is supposed to alarm so maybe I have a malfunction. Tomorrow I will fire up just the MH portion and then take the the monitor to the truck and drive to the store to simulate loss of sensor, see if it alarms.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could not wait. Turned the monitor on and let all sensors activate the monitor. Then I took the monitor to the store far away from the sensors and for the 20 minutes I was gone all readings displayed normally.

Since no one has got this problem I probably have a malfunction since the manual states it will alarm.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Could not wait. Turned the monitor on and let all sensors activate the monitor. Then I took the monitor to the store far away from the sensors and for the 20 minutes I was gone all readings displayed normally.

Since no one has got this problem I probably have a malfunction since the manual states it will alarm.
That is what is good about these forums. Sounds like you had a problem and did not realize it. Reading other replies made you aware of the problem now you can get it fixed and it might save a tire or an accident some day
Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
That is what is good about these forums. Sounds like you had a problem and did not realize it. Reading other replies made you aware of the problem now you can get it fixed and it might save a tire or an accident some day

Thanks. Perils of getting older but I will live with it. Everything else works perfectly because I have tested it throughly. All I have to do is watch the readings, especially temps. I can recognize when I have a problem with a sensor and it has saved at least one tire on the toad. My original monitor broke so they replaced it. The replaced monitor looked used but worked pretty good so I will stick to it. I assume there is a firmware difference. I would have a difficult time convincing TST I have a problem. All they would do is test it and send back. It would have to be tested like I did to see the problem. All the display alarms work.

Some day someone will read the post and try the test the way I did. When they do that will positively confirm I have a firmware problem. Not everyone has the time on their hands to fool around like I do.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
My real issue when I first posted my question came from the temperature readings on the TST TPMS on all six tires after driving 2 hours at highway speed being between 84 and 91 degrees with ambient temperature at 84 degrees when the sidewall readings with a digital infra red thermometer being between 116 and 130 degrees. The average pressure increase was 13 pounds. If I waited until the TPMS alarmed high temperature at the preset 158 degree mark, theoretically the pressure would have increased an average of 66 pounds per tire. I would think this is way above failure pressure........

Thanks to all of you for responding. Your input as always is very appreciated.
MDPD, I note that there has been a great deal of useful comment here, but very few answers to your base question.

I also have the TST system, with the flow through sensors. I have experienced pressure and temperature rises somewhat consistent with yours. I run 110lb front and 95lb rear, and I typically see a pressure rise of about 13 to 17psi after about an hour on the road, depending on OAT. The max rise I've seen is 20lb.

Temperature also rises, but with much greater variability, depending on OAT, direct sunlight direction, etc. But I do see a rise, usually in the range of 10-15 degrees. Important to note that the sensors only read the air temp inside the sensor core, as affected by any temp rise inside the tire and any outside factors. Also note that the crucial temp point in a tire is buried deep in the rubber, just up the sidewall a bit from the shoulder. Thus, any reading you take-- be it sensor core, external sidewall temp, tread temp-- will only be useful for comparative trend purposes.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks JFXG, your answer was closest to what I was looking for and just about exactly what I have observed but I do appreciate all the responses. The knowledge and assistance I have gained from this forum never fails to amaze me. I guess the only accurate (or more accurate) way to measure internal tire temperature is with internal sensors. I do like the TST system as I have found the pressures were within the advertised 2% cold and hot and for the convenience of the flow through sensors. I have debated returning the system but I will probably keep it.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased my TPMS System when they first came out. I have been using it now for several years with very good results.

Keep in mind that the tires themselves will adjust to ambient air temps and the system is measuring the heat each tire is radiating. In order to measure the actual, air the tire would have to be bleeding air out through the sensor.

I always noted on our previous MH where the exhaust came out just in front of the duals that the tires on that wheel were always a little hotter than the rest.

I use the system to check my cold temp tire pressures each morning and if I see one low I can air it up. That's pretty nice. I haven't lost a tire since I installed it. I now have the new 507 system with the flow through sensors.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post

I think your system is working exactly as TST designed it. I just read the entire TST507 operator manual. There is no stated alarm for sensor going out of radio range. Mine will certainly alert when the battery is low (but that sensor is still transmitting). It will also instantly alarm if I remove a transmitting sensor, but that sensor is sensing a loss of pressure while still transmitting.

I've moved the monitor to my tow car without removing the motorhome sensors from the monitor program, drove by the motorhome and began to receive one or more tire positions, and then drove out of radio range of the MH sensors. I think it continued to display the last reading.

I was told by another user on one of the forums that it would alarm for missing sensor after 1 hour, and I think I've experienced this also.

When I get some time, I'll try this experiment again and report the results.

On edit, the manual also states that the sensor detects temp and pressure every 6 seconds but only transmits every 5 minutes under normal conditions.

Edit again: I just reread hikerdogs statement: Our 507 system does not operate in this manner. A couple times we've disconnected the Jeep and been gone for some period of time. When we got back the monitor was beeping and flashing. It had realized the Jeep was out of range and was sending a warning.

I can say that my 507 does not work like hikerdogs, unless he was gone for an hour or more.

Fred
Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TST has stated on the forum the manual is wrong about the 5 min. They transmit every 2 minutes.

On page 9 of my downloaded manual it states that it will give an audible alarm if it doesn't receive transmission from the sensor.

Sorry guys for getting off subject.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #26

Just a follow up. I've repeated the test several times of moving the TST monitor to the toad, driving by the motorhome and registering one or more tires from the motorhome, then driving out of radio range for the motorhome TST transmitters. I takes one hour before the system alarms about the sensors not transmitting.

As mentioned earlier, you can monitor the tire temps to see if they are changing to catch a tire sensor that dies after initially registering itself with the monitor.

On my last trip, I periodically turned the monitor off and back on while traveling and watched to be sure all 10 tires' display came back on the monitor. All of mine will appear within 3 minutes.

Although the manual says it will alert if a sensor is not transmitting, I think it means only at initial power up. Otherwise, it's a one hour wait before the alert sounds.

Fred
Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Today on our return from the "South" our TST monitor did send a beep alarm when it did not receive the signal from one of our toads rear tires. It was a break in communication and when it would come to that tire during the scan there would be a single "beep" indicating no signal. This was many hours into our trip and not at the start-up and after a few minutes and before I could pull over to check, it began to get the signal again showing the tires info. Just thought I would pass that on to you fine folks.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So maybe now everyone knows I am not a nutcake. Thanks for the test.

Although it is a software flaw, I still love the system.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors