Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #15

^ If you change the diameter and flow rate, yes, tuning will be an issue, but if not, then it could be shaped like a giraffe and be powder-coated pink.

I'm not at all expect in turbos...and know nothing about Cat engines, but have dabbled in turbos, and studied the work of John Shepherd (builder of the fastest 4cyl cars on earth). Our own Dodge 4cyl made 500whp. Plenty of tuning to get it just right of course.

But none of this matters, because his issue has been fixed. Life is good, and he's back on the road once again.

Next time, get your turbo powercoated....it'll look pretty
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
But none of this matters, because his issue has been fixed. Life is good, and he's back on the road once again.
This may matter to anyone that reads this forum, if it happens to them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can anyone here tell me a quick way to check to see if my turbo is doing it's job.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
Can anyone here tell me a quick way to check to see if my turbo is doing it's job.
Fire up your Scanguage D or your silverleaf interface and read the boost pressure while driving the RV. That's how I check mine. Has your fuel mileage changed a bunch, are you blowing lots of black smoke out of exhaust?
You could also have your local Chassis service center plug in and check everything $$. Take care. Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMD View Post
Turbo's are not created equal.

VF11, TD04, TD05, TD06, GT30, GT35r, GT45R

They all look different, yet are all turbos, and when you change from one to another you need to have your engine re-tuned. Period.
When I installed the Banks PowerPack kit on our ISC, one of the changes was the turbo housing, still used the same internals, just new outer housing, a new wastegate and of couse their "black box". But, I got a bad wiring loom and Banks said to go ahead and drive the rig without the Banks electronics. They said, unlike a gas engine, you can't run a diesel too lean, they just quit running with no damage. You damage them by running them too rich and black smoke is an indication of that.

BTW: my Silverleaf VMSpc will not show and accurate boost pressure. It still only shows 24-26 psi whereas the Banks gauge shows 34-36 psi. Martin Perlot at Silverleaf says that's probably due to the sensor itself not being able to read that high.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #20

From Anacortes to Mt Vernon is about 15 miles. NC Machinery is the Cat dealer there. They replaced my turbocharger with a Cat reman and adjusted my valves tax included for $1700.00. Actual work time was about 5 hours. Great folks! My issue was low boost pressure due to a weak spring in the wastegate actuator. The actuator is not available as a replacement part even though there are just two bolts holding it onto the turbo housing.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote