Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Turbo charger

We just bought, Friday Feb 13, a 2006 coachman sportsman 37signals with a 30th cummings. They gave us a 3 month 3000 mile limited extended warranty.

we bought them coach from pedata rv in tucson.

we drove the mh over 200 miles and then the check engine light came on.
no decrease in speed or smoke coming out of the engine etc.

Stopped in Tucumcari nm at Johns truck service and put the cummings computer on it and it shows the turbo charger acting up. Per John it needs replaced.

My ew says the turbo is cover if failure is due internal lubricated parts. Turbos don't have lubricated parts.

I checked wholesale warranties and coach-net and they say the same thing.

Have you had your turbo charger replaced under extended warranty? If so did your warranty say lubricated parts?

I might have to pay $6,000 if ew doesn't cover it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

IMHO....Turbos cook the oil in their bearings if the motor is turned of before being allowed to cool a few minuted after heavy drives, like a climb.
The oil in the turbo does the cooling.
I'd say go for the fix.
Best wishes!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
We just bought, Friday Feb 13, a 2006 coachman sportsman 37signals with a 30th cummings. They gave us a 3 month 3000 mile limited extended warranty.

we bought them coach from pedata rv in tucson.

we drove the mh over 200 miles and then the check engine light came on.

no decrease in speed or smoke coming out of the engine etc.

Stopped in Tucumcari nm at Johns truck service and put the cummings computer on it and it shows the turbo charger acting up. Per John it needs replaced.

My ew says the turbo is cover if failure is due internal lubricated parts. Turbos don't have lubricated parts.

I checked wholesale warranties and coach-net and they say the same thing.

Have you had your turbo charger replaced under extended warranty? If so did your warranty say lubricated parts?

I might have to pay $6,000 if ew doesn't cover it.

The bearings in the turbo are certainly lubricated and they are generally the failure point but the Cummings Holiset VGT has other parts that can fail.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Turbos do in fact have moving parts and the bearings float in oil. If the coke like was mentioned above they quit. In normal driving you don't need a cool down, and even a hard pull just going off an off ramp is enough cool down. Now, stopping in the middle of the Grapevine would require a cool down.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
At $6000. I would be looking at another shop. Usually when a turbo fails it is pretty obvious.

I have had engines shut down on extreme hard pulls without killing the turbo. It is better to idle them for a few minutes of coarse as repeated shutdowns will definitely cause damage.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #6

To the OP:
Your dealer is paying for it. If they wanna pay the $6K, fine. Otherwise THEY get it towed to their mechanic of choice.
Easy-peasy!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Curious. What codes did the motor show?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you call the selling dealer? They may want to get involved since there was only 200 miles since they sold it.

Sales are AS-IS, even though you got some protection with the extended warranty, but if the coach was traded in due to a bad turbo and the dealer knew it, all bets are off and they're on the hook for the repair. Proving it, is as simple as calling the last owner.

It's always best to see if they want to help in the repair...it's good business.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

First question is whether Pedata actually provided a warranty of their own or simply included an extended warranty policy as part of the selling price. If they are guaranteeing it, you need to deal with them. If they handed you a policy with a third party and gave no warranty of their own, you have to work with the extended warranty provider. You would have no recourse with Pedata unless they had prior knowledge of a turbo problem.

Turbos do indeed have "internally lubricated parts", even though they may not receive lubrication from the engine oil system. Sealed bearings are still lubricated. However, warranty companies have been known to claim wear & tear or abuse to avoid paying expensive turbo claims, so document the failure circumstances well and be careful how you describe what happened. Be prepared to argue too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Turbo's can also be rebuilt by a turbo shop and doesn't cost $6000. Had lots of them rebuilt in the trucking business.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Turbo's can also be rebuilt by a turbo shop and doesn't cost $6000. Had lots of them rebuilt in the trucking business.
X2, Rebuilt would be my first choice at much less than $6000.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
To the OP:
Your dealer is paying for it. If they wanna pay the $6K, fine. Otherwise THEY get it towed to their mechanic of choice.
Easy-peasy!
CampDaven
You're dreaming if you think a dealer will pay for anything on a used coach he sold, (unless the buyer has evidence of misrepresentation or wrong doing).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I purchased this rig I found it needed the turbo replaced because the PO had not taken care to let it cool down after hard runs and it cooked the oil seals. Brand new Holset VVT turbo $3,500. Keep shopping

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
I will admit I am not an expert on diesels but every Turbo I have ever seen, or heard of, had lubricated parts.. (Bearings)

Could it be you do not think they have lubricated parts due to the absence of grease fittings? They do not have those, they get their lubrication from the engine via the oil pump.

As someone else said they cook the oil rather well so it needs to be replaced swiftly, and the hot oil drained back to the crankcase where it can cool off a bit.