Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Turbo Diesel

Hello Folks

Following on from something I read on the forum the other day, is there such a thing as a Turbo Diesel pusher/puller, or gas turbo.

And if not, why not.

regards

ginner

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner View Post
Hello Folks

Following on from something I read on the forum the other day, is there such a thing as a Turbo Diesel pusher/puller, or gas turbo.

And if not, why not.

regards

ginner
Is this a trick question?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think someone is pulling my electrons
Old 07-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

Now be gentle, firstly my mistake, it was on another forum, but the question is valid.

I am very new to all this, and a diesel with a turbo as in Europe gives better performance, and MPG.

so is there such a thing.

regards

ginner
Old 07-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most every Diesel motorhome is a Turbo Diesel. I don't think there are any gas Turbo motorhomes.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #6

The only diesels you can find now days (since the late 80's) without a turbo are going to be the small three cylinder ones used in generators or tractors. Otherwise all diesels made for cars and trucks in the last couple of decades are turbo-diesels.

It's so universal now that no one refers to them as turbo-diesels, if someone says diesel today its more likely to be turbo than not.

Somewhat related is direct-injection, this technology is now becoming more popular in gas engines, while diesels require it to function, so all diesels are DI.

The Ford Ecoboost is a DI turbocharged gas engine, so it shares some things in common with a modern diesel and contributes to it's torque and economy. There is a possibility a version of it could make it to the F53 chassis at some point to replace the V10, but don't hold your breath.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Somewhat related is direct-injection, this technology is now becoming more popular in gas engines, while diesels require it to function, so all diesels are DI.
Except for those that are indirect injection (IDI)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_injection

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Except for those that are indirect injection (IDI)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_injection

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Yep forgot about that, don't see it much anymore either same issue as turbo chargers.

Of course when I think of Carburated/MFI/EFI as opposed to DFI, IDI is closer to DFI than the former. An IDI diesel injector runs above 1000psi since it's still being injected into the compression stroke of the engine in the pre-combustion chamber with no valve separating the combustion chamber. In a standard fuel injected gas engine the fuel is injected at under 100psi into the intake manifold behind the intake valve. There are gas DI engines that run less than 1000psi on the direct injectors (Evinrude E-TEC's).
Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And when you get your nice turbo charged diesel engine, start working on upgrading to one of these. Takes forever to spool up, but when it does, you better be ready.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Hi

thank you so much for the replys, and educating me, at least I now know, so I can cross that question of my list.

we are at the point I guess most of you where at when you started looking for your rvs.

we initially saw a holiday rambler trip, and liked that, then came across the Monaco vesta, and we thought that was the one for us, in a couple of years, then they stopped making them in 2012 I guess because the economy tanked.

although the vesta has issues going by what I have read on this forum, so do other rvs, but we do still like it, especially the MPG.

but lately we have realized that you can get a 2016 gas Rv, for less than a 3 year old vesta, we have learned that diesel rvs hold there price better than gas, but that only comes into play when you buy and when you sell ?

we have read that the diesel rv drives and handles better, than gas, but I imagine the new gas rvs will handle well.

we have the big decision to make soon, so any help or suggestions will help.

I promised myself that when I retire again this time, I was going to get a 2008 Bentley car, and a rv, but having realized the expense of maintaining both, the new Bentley Rv has got my attention.

we intend to take trips of 2 to 3 months at a time, to see America, and Canada, we currently live in florida, so we have the winter time sorted as to where we will be.

regards

ginner
Old 07-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
ginner, I hope you understand that Bentley Motors, the British luxury car company that now is owned by Volkswagen, does not have any relationship at all with the Bentley diesel pusher motorhome ...click (yes, it has a Cummins diesel with a turbo) that is made by Nexus RV, a U.S. company.

You will find numerous threads on this forum as well as other RV forums pertaining to the decision to purchase a gas mothorhome versus a diesel Class A motorhome. You can research that as you search the forum. As I say, it's a topic that comes up frequently.

You mentioned handling. Yes, a new gas Class A may handle perfectly fine. However, there is a fundamental difference between a gas engine Class A and a diesel Class A which you may already know. Most or the primary type* of diesel Class A is a diesel pusher where the engine is in the rear (like a bus). Most or the primary type* of gas Class A is where the engine is located in the front and a driveshaft transfers power to the rear wheels. So both are propelled from the rear axle --the "puller" description is actually sort of a misnomer as a front-engined Class A is still being "pushed" in a sense. Inherent in the rear-engined "pusher" configuration is generally better handling. That's the primary reason you keep hearing about the superiority in the handling of a diesel pusher compared with a front-engined gas Class A mothorhome. Also, just about all diesel pushers will have air suspension and air brakes. A gas Class A typically will not. An air suspension specifically will give a more comfortable ride as well.

*primary type clarification: yes, there can be a "gas pusher" Class A and there is a front-engined diesel Class A (FRED chassis, etc) but they are not the primary configurations.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #12

Hi Theroc,

thank you for your detailed response, being from England I realize Bentley is owned by vw. but still a great car.

as a car it was on my bucket list, as I wanted to own a Bentley at some point,

So I was saying I could settle for a Bentley rv. I do understand who makes the rv, but thank you for helping.

it is a difficult process picking the right rv, as I am sure you all went through, but I have read where people bought a rv, but quickly changed to another.

like most people I want to try and buy the right rv the first time, wish me luck

regards

ginner
Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #13

Diesel vrs Gas

One other item I might point out if you are new and trying to decide between a gas or diesel coach. By and large, the diesel pushers have a higher weight tow capacity than the comparable gas engine coach. Also if storage space and storage weight under the coach are an issue, generally a diesel pusher has more of both. Just thoughts, good luck with your decision!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Before you choose a chassis figure out what you want for a house. You will find people here will tell you everything from a 45 ft DP to a van conversion are just what you need and have a list of reasons to prove it. You will also find somebody else with as long a list of why it's the wrong choice. The choice of gas or diesel will depend at least in part on what size range you are looking at. Very short with no towed or very long with whatever you want and you will find diesels. In the middle gas is the dominant power plant for good reasons.

Tags
diesel