Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Well I guess I'm in agreement on the side view cameras. I don't think I would like to loose my rear view camera when I turn the turn signals on. Use the mirrors and still have the rear view camera. Done.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well I guess I'm in agreement on the side view cameras. I don't think I would like to loose my rear view camera when I turn the turn signals on. Use the mirrors and still have the rear view camera. Done.

One of the systems that I posted the link for had an option to have all four cameras on a split screen at once.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can understand why so many don't care to use the side view camera, I was the same way with my last coach because the screen was positioned low in the dash. My new coach has it mounted high and within the line of site and I find myself using it often to check the blind spot. Especially in heavy traffic areas.
Getting so used to it now, I wouldn't have a coach without side view.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is my first coach with the side view cameras and I thought they would be great. I'm very disappointed in them, at least in my coach. We tow a truck about 90% of the time and I use the rear camera to see when my truck clears the vehicle I'm trying to pass. If I turn on my turn signal, I lose that view and the side camera doesn't have any depth perception to help in passing.

I thought maybe they will work well when backing into a tight campsite. I can just turn the turn signal on to see down one side of the coach. Nope.....when in reverse, the rear camera overrides the side cameras. I have to put the coach in neutral to use the side cameras.

Soooooo.......I find they really don't provide any advantage for me and the way mine is setup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #19
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
In my opinion turn signal side cameras are a waste and annoying. I disconnected mine after about 5000 miles.
I too found mine very distracting. They came on with the turn signals. By the time I was able to make eye contact with the monitor and begin the lane change someone would be taking up the lane. Mirrors are in the field of view and have a much larger picture.

I disconnected mine. I can select them manually but still have not found them really useful or reassuring.

It is your money of course but I prefer good mirrors. I did modify my rear view camera because they mounted it such that I could not see past my toad. That was a really dumb design. The camera will tilt up and down so I could see my tow ball but not the rear of the toad. Trying to see a tailgator just before I change lanes was dangerous. Now I can see straight back and can still tilt the camera down if needed.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #20
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
One of the systems that I posted the link for had an option to have all four cameras on a split screen at once.
I can have all four on or any combination but you must take your eyes off the main view out the front and have to try to look at small pictures.

Most monitors are mounted below the normal line of site making things even worse.

To improve my monitor position it was removed and mounted via a Ram mount. It is now actually above the top edge of the dash and is in a natural viewing range. I still do not use the side camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	115009  
Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #21

I started with a right side view camera connected to the one rear view monitor. It was not effective as I needed to select the Video 2 switch to see the side view.

As the cost of cameras and monitors declined, I added a left side camera, and a dedicated left and right side monitor. At the time, the cost for each side view camera/monitor was about $70. It could be done cheaper now. (all purchased from Ebay). Monitors are now under $25, and cameras are about the same.

I had to experiment with the monitor locations, and had enough dash "real estate" to place them where I can see them without taking my eyes off the road.

I have found having the side view monitors on all the time is very helpful. There are several other IRV2 members with similar setup's, including one that has all 3 monitors overhead about where the sun visor would be located.

I still use the mirrors as the primary method of clearing the lane before changing lanes, but find that I already know what is beside my coach due to the monitors being in my line of vision.

Fred
Old 12-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've thought of doing that many times in the past but just have not been able to make myself commit. Aesthetics keep getting in my way.

Thank you for sharing,
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
YC1

Fred, that would be very useful. A couple more monitors won't make much difference. IN the line of sight is really nice.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a system from TADI Brothers. It has a 10.5" monitor with 4 camera inputs and I can select any combination of cameras to display.

I have two cameras in the same size package as the old weldex single camera. One camera points downward like the old backup camera and the other points down the road. The system also has triggers that can connect to back up lights or turn signals to allow the correct cameras to display full screen.

I have inputs for two more cameras that could be side view cameras.

The downside to the system is the wireless transmitters that operate at the same frequency as bluetooth. They have a lot of interference while I am driving. I need to call Tadi Brothers and see if they have a solution.

You could hard wire the entire system, but that seems like a lot of effort.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I have mine set up like Fred's. Only I have my GPS in the middle. My left monitor is for the back of my trialer, the right is for the rear of the MH. I have another in the dash and that is electable for down view on rear hitch to trailer or my WIDE angle 170 degree camera right side. Mounted on the front right corner I can see everything from the ground up, and out and to the rear as shown in the diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	115068  
Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
In my opinion turn signal side cameras are a waste and annoying. I disconnected mine after about 5000 miles.
Me too. After 8 years of operating my rig I have never even checked the side view cameras when making a turn. I like using my mirrors, to me more reliable.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here. I use the rear camera all the time, but use the mirrors for changing lanes and watching for traffic...never use the side cameras.
Ditto. I trust my fish eye mirror more than the fish eye camera, but I'll admit to checking it, only cause it comes on automatically with the turn signal. But I'd rather have the rear camera to tell me when I'm clear of the overtaken traffic.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Has anyone installed aftermarket lane cameras? I can't even find any online.

I agree with the others, side cameras are a waste. I plan on disconnecting mine before my next trip.

Tags
camera