Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Turning Issue??

With my previous 34' coach I had no issues when turning when the rear tires are at a certain point. With this 41' coach I am having trouble seeing the rear tires to know when to turn.

Are there any secrets or tricks on how to do this?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Practice.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
when your shoulders are in intersection works for 38'.

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thortogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

You don't need to see the tires to know when to turn. I have a 41' coach and can't see the rears. It has never been a problem.

When your body gets to the point where you want the rear wheels to be on the turn, start your turn. Go slowly but turn the wheel quickly, to get turn started crisply. With a 41-footer you will be a bit further into the intersection than you are used to with the 36-footer, but after a few hundred miles on city streets you'll have it figured out.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Put a piece of masking tape on the side of your MH directly above the tires. If you can see it while driving and it helps replace it with a spiffier-looking reflective tape.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

I use all the room I can get. Most people (ar least in the Midwest) will hold back in an intersection and if they don't I just wait.
Practice will help.

Pointrow
Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Put a piece of masking tape on the side of your MH directly above the tires. If you can see it while driving and it helps replace it with a spiffier-looking reflective tape.
Also, in the RV driving school (YouTube) the instructor said to have some place a soda can or such next to back tires so you can see it in you mirrors, then mark that spot on your mirror with a drop of white-out or dot of paint or such. Where ever the dot is is where your back tires are.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Also, in the RV driving school (YouTube) the instructor said to have some place a soda can or such next to back tires so you can see it in you mirrors, then mark that spot on your mirror with a drop of white-out or dot of paint or such. Where ever the dot is is where your back tires are.
Has anyone actually tried this? They seem to like putting whiteout everywhere. On the mirrors. One the windshield. I get the idea, but my head moves and is not in exactly the dame place every time I look somewhere. It seems like the kind of crutch that could get you into trouble if you rely on it too much.

But I could be totally wrong as I've not tried it.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll quickly learn after you run over a few curbs and take out a traffic light or two.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had some old red reflector take in the shop so I cut a strip and put it on each side on the fender flare around the duals. It works ok but is still hard to see easily, especially when busy with traffic. I will probably wind up putting a clearance lite on the spot and running power to it somehow.

When we went to rv school the instructor had us count slowly 1,2,3 until the rear duals were in the right spot. It does work but different speeds mess that system up. The farther you are away from the curb the more leeway you have in cutting the corner. So the instructor told us to use “all the realestate available. Meaning when making a right turn cheat into the left lane a bit or at least use all of your lane if posssible.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Remember that if need be you can always GOAL. If I'd done that a couple of months ago Mom wouldn't be teasing me about almost dumping it in the ditch.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #12

I like to use the convex mirror to glance at the path the rear tires are taking. I'm always driving different length coaches so I can't get use to one size. Today I drove 5 different length motorhomes from our RV show back to the store. Shortest was 32' and longest was 45'. Some of the driving is on two lane roads and turning is different for each coach, which is why I use the mirrors.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #13

Gosh! I have never even thought about it. Before I retired, I had driven pickups, vans, cars, dump trucks, pulled 5th wheel trailers, etc.

My MH is 38', and as I approach the intersection to turn right, I get to the left as best as I can, then try to make as square of a turn as I can, and it just works out. Sometimes it gets a little dicey if the road I'm turning is particularly narrow, but I guess I have just had enough experience that I don't even think about it.

We have been full-timing for going on 14 years and neither I or my DW seem to have any problems. We haven't ever wiped out the side of our MH, so I guess we DON'T have a problem.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
My MH is 38', and as I approach the intersection to turn right, I get to the left as best as I can, then try to make as square of a turn as I can, and it just works out.
Our MH is a tad over 35' and I do NOT do that. The reason is for my tail swing. The more left I am, the bigger risk the idiot behind me to left that is texting will not see the swing and maybe hit me or I hit him. Now if there isn't any traffic or the left lane is empty, then yes, I will come out left into the other lane to make my right hand turn a lot easier.

In traffic situations, to turn right, even onto a narrow street, I stay in my lane (tires are just on or inside the white line) and I proceed forward as much as possible, watching my left mirror—very carefully—to time my turn when my rear can swing out into a safe "hole" in traffic.

As for additional driving aids like tape or white out...when I'm driving down the highway, I have also placed a small round sticker on the lower left side of my windshield. As long as I keep that sticker just to the left of the white line, I know our coach is centered in the lane. I have grown to rely on this a lot, especially if I get caught in tight road conditions, crazy heavy traffic, big trucks all around etc. I just keep that sticker there—watching my mirrors—and I know I'm good.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote