Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Turning off coach power: Re Norcold

I have the infamous Norcold 1200 refrigerator. Before the dealer upgraded to the latest and greatest recall last week, I was having trouble with the thermal sensor "black box" faulting. When I called Norcold, they said turning off the coach power would let the box see a low voltage, and it might go into fault mode and need to be reset.
Since the dealer upgraded to the latest recall (he said we were two behind!) I have not had any trouble with the box, but I have not turned off the coach power, which I normally would do if I wasn't going to use it for a week or so.
Who regularly turns off their coach power, and have you had any Norcold black box problems because of it?
Thanks in advance...

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

After following all the directions per Norcold it became apparent that we needed to replace the ref with something else. We put in a 12 cu ft residential and do not regret it. We no longer worry about the hazards of the Norcold!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

We got our coach in January then when summer can that sucker would never turn off, fans ran all the time. The only safe Not-So-Cold is one that is turned off or setting on the ground, that why I installed the Samsung 197 so I could sleep at night.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

I have not got the latest and greatest upgrade yet but I am headed that way...unfortunately. I boondock and along with cost do not want a residential fridge. Especially when my 1200 is freezing ice cream as hard as a brick

What I do is, plug my coach to shore power while not in use....however...I do not turn my fridge on until 48 hours before departing to go camp.
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Unless I am at a camp site, traveling or starting the refrig, I leave my house batteries switch off. Any time the 12 vdc is shut off on my rig, my NorCold goes into a "low voltage" shut down which is the 12 vdc control power only. I have a safety switch behind the refrig that shows a red led light when the voltage is low/off. With a small magnet placed directly above this red light, the safety switch will reset in around 5 seconds if the house 12 v power has been restored which restores the refrig control power.
vapor3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Mine had all the updates just before we got it by Country Coach in Junction City. The freezer would freeze ice cream rock solid but the frig would be around 48 to 50degs now with the Samsung freezer -2 and frig +38.
If a person boondocks a lot and have problems this may be the way to go.
http://rvcoolingunit.com/1200LR-Norcold-Brand-New-Cooling-Unit-built-by-the-Amish-P13259.aspx
The only boondocking we have done is 4 days at a FMCA rally and the same next year in Redmond, Or
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Still on the original version of the disconnect box, no problems. Switch from hook-ups to battery and back when we travel. When parked in between trips, I shut-down the unit, start it back-up two days prior to leaving. Everything works just fine.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, power