Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Turning on tight streets.

I'm thinking about my first RV, what concerns me the most is getting stuck in traffic with a rig too big for me to turn on tight streets (I'm sure you all been there). While I've done allot of research on wheelbase and wheel cut, turning radius remains a mystery what it means in real life. The only answer I have found is "one gets used to it", which doesn't help me. What I want to do is get the largest rig that I can make a right turn from single lane to single lane without entering other lanes. Similar to rush hour traffic in a city or busy two lane street, etc. I'm thinking about the Axis Thor. 25' long, 188" wheelbase, I found no info on wheel cut. So I can't even calculate it. Lanes can be anywhere from 9-14' wide.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Way over thinking this IMHO. So many other considerations should drive the purchase desician. We've had 28', 37', and now 40' coach. It sometimes gets tight for any size coach, you will handle it. Get the size and floorplan you want to live in - you spend a lot more time in place than driving around.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Practice makes perfect they say. I recently sold my classic GMC front wheel drive class A 26 ft Motorhome . I replaced it with a 32 ft class A country coach rear diesel. The country coach turns in a tighter radius but is a lot more intimidating to me being a wide body and taller. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to maneuver a 40 footer in a tight location .
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Take an RV driver course.

I'm sure you can get any size you want and still be fine on city streets. Have you ever seen city buses? They just swing a little wide and no problems. I have driven around in downtown San Francisco and lots of other large cities towing the Ranger and never had a problem.
I always tell my wife that if the road has asphalt on it, a tandem truck hauled it there so I can go there! That's on public roads of coarse!
If you can, take an RV driving course. Both of you that is!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

So can you guys right turn from single lane to single lane without leaving the lane? (worst case scenario) Mathematically, this seems impossible. Say 188" wheelbase (15.66') a lane is 9-14', math wise with this wheelbase can't make a single lane to single lane right turn.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You put your right turn signal on early, so traffic behind knows your intentions, watch your left mirror for a break in traffic, then slide over and use 3 of 4 feet of the left lane!
Don't worry if you have to hold people up for a few seconds.
Watch how the semi drivers do it.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
In my 34' a right turn staying in the lanes on both 'sides' of the turn is no problem. I may crowd the line, but I don't cross it.
Yes there will be intersections where this is harder to do, but for the most part it's not a problem.

When we travel we take 2 lane roads rather than the interstate, so we spend a lot of time driving through small towns, like everything else it gets to be second nature with enough practice.

You might try 'lurking' behind a motorhome or two when you see one in town to see how they handle the turns. Don't follow them home or anything wacky like that though, we don't want to be reading about you in the new!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
So can you guys right turn from single lane to single lane without leaving the lane? (worst case scenario) Mathematically, this seems impossible. Say 188" wheelbase (15.66') a lane is 9-14', math wise with this wheelbase can't make a single lane to single lane right turn.
If that is your major concern you should be looking at a Class "B" RV not a class "C" or "A".
Like others have said people drive trucks, busses & fire trucks that size or longer all the time on city streets. A class "A" motorhome is no different. Some times I have a hard time making turns with my crew cab long bed F-350 with 172" wheelbase. That doesn't stop me from driving it, or my 262" wheelbase Monaco.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Follow a school bus for a few blocks. Watch how they negotiate turns and corners. And that's with a vehicle loaded with screamin' kids...
glynnspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #10

Mavrik;

Don't get hung up on not leaving the lane. I pull a 40' fifth wheel behind a Ford Super Duty, and a lot of times you have no alternative but to leave your lane, otherwise the rear of your trailer will not make the corner without going over someone's lawn, or worst yet hitting a street sign or traffic light.

Just like a tractor trailer, sometimes you must cross the line in order to complete your turn. Just do it slow and safely, and you will be amazed at how co-operative the oncoming traffic can be.

After all you are the Big Dog at that given moment.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
42 foot coach and never had issue turning. Using more than your lane is necessary sometimes. There are times you need to maneuver a bit, drive slowly, and sometimes even wait for traffic to move. It's all part of the driving experience. The key is to be deliberate and not in a hurry. Worst case is some azzhat honks at you because you slowed his travel down by 3.8 seconds. No biggie.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
No you can't do that most times. The Texas CDL Handbook addresses this issue:

14.6 SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS SAFETY PRACTICES

1. Right Turns with Large Equipment. Tractor-trailers
and long wheelbase trucks and buses, when turning
right, must have curb clearance for the rear
wheels. Since they cannot stay in the proper lane while
turning, they should turn by one of these methods:

a. Approach the corner in the proper lane, about
four feet from the curb (close enough to keep a car
from passing on the right). As soon as the front
wheels pass the corner, turn wide to the right,
swinging over the center of the side street if necessary,
in order for the right rear wheel to clear the
curb.

b. If the street into which you are turning is narrow,
it may be necessary to approach as above, then
swing left enough to place the right rear wheel in
position to miss the curb (but not far enough away
to invite passing on the right), then turn sharply right
into the narrow street or driveway.

You cannot watch too carefully when you are on
your own side of the road. This is even more true
while turning in a large vehicle, when you must be
on the wrong side of the road part of the time.

Practice makes perfect and some cooperation by your fellow drivers goes a long way.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I cant say I recall one horn blowing at me, when I've had to use a few feet of another lane to make a tight turn!
Think most drivers realize 67' of RV and tow car, don't turn on a dime !
Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've developed a pretty good eye to determine if there is enough room for me to make the maneuver I'm wanting to make. If it's iffy, then I go around and try something else. I don't know about most others, but I've learned that I'm not nearly as close to anything as I feel like I am.