Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #15

I just looked at the manual on the web for your 2006 Damon Astoria and page 33 ( Chapter 6 ) clearly shows where the main shut-off valve is on your LPG tank. It's ON THE TANK! How in the world Damon expects anyone to access that valve is unbelievable.

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OFF VALVE ON DAMON 2006..see photos of no OFF valve

Crawled under RV today with a camera.
Found NO OFF VALVE on Propane tank anywhere.

But at 8:45pm tonight just found this as was suggested to read - on Page 33 Chapter 6:
"The tank has a gauge installed to show the level of LP in the tank. The tank level can be remo
tely read from the monitor panel. The monitor panel is usually located in the hallway"
This is actually true, and is one of the 2 Toggle Switches I have found. So info is stating and suggests "CAN BE READ REMOTELY" from Propane Tank.

My research is suggesting it has ONLY 2 ON/OFF Electric activated Toggle Switches with RED indicator lights when ON for our Astoria / Pacific model. One in Entry above Coach door and One inside Basement Waste Cabinet.
But has NO HARD SHUT OFF VALVE when checked today under the RV
I sure wish we could find a phone # for someone at Thor/Damon who could definitively answer this by using our Vin# as reference.
Each time we fill the Propane Tank "no one has ever asked us if is fully shut off Ive also understood and told by Propane Tank Fill people that tank will not fill if LP valve is Open".
NOW I AM REALLY CONCERNED FOR OUR UPCOMING TRIP MONDAY NEXT WEEK FOR A MONTH.
LP Filling is at YELLOW CAP Fill Port ( see photo attached ) that sits below the driver side just under the bottom outer bottom edge of RV. Propane Tank sits side-to-side of RV, nestled up between and into the steel frame of the Freightliner Chassis. I will now check page 33 asap of manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMON PROPANE PIX.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	84729  

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #17

Can you get to a place where you can see the top of the tank. I know you are getting frustrated but it has to be on the tank. I think one of the posters mentioned it was behind a panel, maybe you remove the panel to get to it. The photo you show does not show the top of the tank. They may have turned the tank when installed so the valve can be accessed from behind that panel.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
See Previous Message at 8:45pm

I really need to get a Thor/DAMON support person to verify what I believe and manual Page 33 Chapter 6 States very succinctly.

Chapter and Verse says:
Tank has a gauge ( yet to be seen by a living being ) that sends tank volume results remote ( not wifi ) but by hard electrical wires to the STUPID 3 Colored Light Panel inside Coach in cabinet just ABOVE ENTRY DOOR
Anyone find me a phone# please send .. I will call ASAP
or even while on the outing.

baldtbird06
Old 01-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
any other 2006 Damon Astoria finding same Propane Tank farce

Or is it just me ?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The manual shut off valve will be in the same area that the unseen level gauge is. A simple search found these numbers.

http://www2.thorindustries.com/contact-us
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now i need to find an unseen level gauge :(

Seems a bit hard to figure that one out.
Now need to find two unseen items ?
Not a great method of discovery, since we have need seen a level either.
Ill need a more specific type of direction.

baldtbird06
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Shut off is the star shaped valve just before the regulator. (The grey box covers the regulator)

In the picture Hooligan posted you can see the tank mounted level gauge below the fill port. Following the fill line hose to the tank you will find the same setup on your tank. Propane tanks are all basically the same design.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 AM   #23

The two are normally right next to each other, so if you can't see one you won't see the other. All tanks I have had on RV's have them, did you ever find that panel one of the posters spoke of.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cnboone........I will attempt again tomorrow to follow the Yellow Capped propane fill line towards the propane tank, which is in middle of rv and runs horizontally side-to-side of rv lying flat.
Nothing like the photo that is shown.

I also have a phone # and will try in Elkhart, Indiana as well. Then get back with the results.

With very limited limited space under RV its going to be a tite fit for an OLDE BIG BELLY ON A 6'6" guy as myself

But its all for the better good of RV'ing.....Correct ?

big.belly.baldtbird06

Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 AM   #25

There would have to be a manual valve for the sole purpose of maintenance on the down stream electronic valves.
I would guess that those electronic valves are NC ( normally closed) meaning that power opens them, lack of power they close.
While the manual valve may not be easily accessible, it is surely there!

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 01-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post

With very limited limited space under RV its going to be a tite fit for an OLDE BIG BELLY ON A 6'6" guy as myself

big.belly.baldtbird06

I do understand that
The valves and level gauge is probably at the top of your tank. The pressure regulator on the outlet will be close to the tank also.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Off valve is there ?

I agree there should be an OFF Valve..........BUT HANDY
I keep asking on several other RV Blogs what other 2006 Astoria Damons owners also have, but no response that others have same problem as we.
Ive sent at least a dozen emails to Thor but absolutely NO response.Even to their warranty Dept.
Phone calls left at Thor, also nothing.
Appears Customer Service at Thor is mostly talk and no walk
If there is an actual OFF valve ON THE TANK and not useable ?
Do I presume it is left on at all times even when filling :(
AND if the off is left in OFF position, would it then NOT allow filling.
Gets more and more curious as to what is what and where.

baldtbird06
Old 01-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
I just looked at the manual on the web for your 2006 Damon Astoria and page 33 ( Chapter 6 ) clearly shows where the main shut-off valve is on your LPG tank. It's ON THE TANK! How in the world Damon expects anyone to access that valve is unbelievable.
The tank has a line that runs from the fill valve to a compartment. It will have a yellow cap on it. The cap is about 3 inches in diameter. The lp gas man will not fill the tank without shutting off the gas valve. That is why the electric shutoff valve is there. The lp gas man shuts off the electric valve then fills the tank and turns the gas back on.

Tags
propane, tank