Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldtbird.06 View Post
Crawled under RV today with a camera.
Found NO OFF VALVE on Propane tank anywhere.

But at 8:45pm tonight just found this as was suggested to read - on Page 33 Chapter 6:
"The tank has a gauge installed to show the level of LP in the tank. The tank level can be remo
tely read from the monitor panel. The monitor panel is usually located in the hallway"
This is actually true, and is one of the 2 Toggle Switches I have found. So info is stating and suggests "CAN BE READ REMOTELY" from Propane Tank.

My research is suggesting it has ONLY 2 ON/OFF Electric activated Toggle Switches with RED indicator lights when ON for our Astoria / Pacific model. One in Entry above Coach door and One inside Basement Waste Cabinet.
But has NO HARD SHUT OFF VALVE when checked today under the RV
I sure wish we could find a phone # for someone at Thor/Damon who could definitively answer this by using our Vin# as reference.
Each time we fill the Propane Tank "no one has ever asked us if is fully shut off Ive also understood and told by Propane Tank Fill people that tank will not fill if LP valve is Open".
NOW I AM REALLY CONCERNED FOR OUR UPCOMING TRIP MONDAY NEXT WEEK FOR A MONTH.
LP Filling is at YELLOW CAP Fill Port ( see photo attached ) that sits below the driver side just under the bottom outer bottom edge of RV. Propane Tank sits side-to-side of RV, nestled up between and into the steel frame of the Freightliner Chassis. I will now check page 33 asap of manual.
The yellow cap in the picture is the fill valve I was talking about. The lp gas man will cut the gas off with the electric switch and fill from this cap and then turn the gas back on. I can't tell from the picture, but most of the time there is a yellow fill connection. and also a brass witness bleed valve. The gas man opens the screw cap on the witness valve and fills till the white gas spits out. He turns off the gas fill. Closes the witness bleed screw. removes the fill hose and turns the electric switch back on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Like you I have looked all over the owners manual on line and find this LP arrangement totally screwy. shut off valve next to the regulator is the reference. Might they have an electric valve hook up off the LP gas detector ckt. Just a guess

An LP gas detector, located near the floor in the galley area, will sense the presence
of LP gas leakage. The leak detector will sound an alarm if LP gas is detected.
Test the leak detector weekly.
The LP detector gets its power from one of the circuits in the load center. Because
these circuits are on the load side of the battery-disconnect, the LP detector will be
disabled (along with all other 12 Volt house powered devices) when shore power is
removed and the battery disconnect is in the storage mode. While this is ideal when
your coach is in storage and the LP system is shutdown, there will be no warning if
this should happen while camping and an LP leak occurs. To warn you of this possible
hazard, a label is located near the LP gas leak detector.
The LP gas detector is operated by the 12 Volt house wiring
and will be disabled when batteries are in the storage mode
and shore power is removed.
The motorhome should never be operated or occupied unless
the LP gas detector is present and functioning properly

Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lp man wont honor the toggle switches

No on seems to understand my dilemma.
Propane Men & Women all say from Good Sam, KOA and Pilot/Flying J are that the ( 2 ) ELECTRIC TOGGLE SWITCHES do not constitute or provide a proper shutting down of the propane system on our Damon 2006 :(

THAT IS WHY I AM SO FOCUSED / PARANOID ON TRYING TO FIND A SOLUTION FROM DAMON>>>> With some type of text or info to show Installers.
I keep finding that the 3 colored lights are a "transmitted signal" via wires from the Propane tank valve to the control board.
So when the two Propane Toggle Switch's are in OFF ( no red light is shown ) the Valve is Closed Electrically and can be refilled !

No PROPANE INSTALLER seems to listen or believe us, when I say I have no shut off handle and especially can not tell them the SHUT OFF HANDLE IS HIDDEN. And Propane is fully OFF controlled BY 2 RED ELECTRIC TOGGLE SWITCHES :(

Also confused believing, there are "NO other" Damon Class A RV Owners who have NOT encountered the same as we are encountering
"I CAN NOT FILL YOUR W/O SEEING A SHUT OFF HANDLE". And especially when Propane Installers do not see for themselves there is no Visible turn off for Propane to do a refill :(

Tired and Frustrated guessing and wondering what the Hell is the true story. But unable to make any contact with Damon/Thor even on their FACEBOOKS, TWITTER, ETC SOCIAL PAGES.

Keeps coming back as a CATCH 22.
Its there, but can not be seen ?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I had my 2006 Astoria, I never had any problem getting my propane filled. Like I said before, if you look in the first pass through compartment, you will find an access panel. The shut off manual shut off valve is supposed to be in there. I never looked because I didn't have anyone ask about it.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #33

TURNING PROPANE Tank Totally OFF

Seems to me, then, that your question would be better put to the Damon Owners forum than this general purpose Class A forum. It's listed under Owner's Corner Forums, Thor Industries owners, Damon.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #34

With all this advice, did you ever look in the bays around where the tank is located and look for an access panel. It will probably have four screws holding it. There has to be access to the valve somewhere. Getting propane is an easy thing to do and they have to have a way to fill as it has been done before. No propane guy is going to crawl under your MH to do the fill, so I think you are just looking in the wrong place and once you find the access panel this is probably an easy fix.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black panel hidding lp tank

YOU SAID: In my old 2006 Astoria, the was a black panel in the storage compartment to access the LP tank. It is located between the frame rails.

WOW WE have one of those OLDE 2006 ASTORIA'S by Damon now Thor
Can you TRY AND be just a tiny bit more specific as to where BLACK PANEL was in basement cabinet...We see no Black panel between rails. Was the Propane Tank Behind the Black Panel.
This is driving me goofy !
baldtbird06
Old 01-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #36

I didn't say that, another poster who used to own your year/model MH did. I'm sure you are going to find a door or panel access where you can turn the valve off, as it doesn't make sense not too. Hopefully the poster who had your model will see this thread again and try to point you in the right direction. I know on my MH there are some things that are only accessible by removing a panel or two.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #37

A couple of posters have mentioned that what you are looking for is out of sight on the top of the tank but unless your tank is a special manufacture, all the gear is on the side of the tank little more than half way up and should be clearly visible.

Like others, I can't see a large propane tank being installed without a manual shut off valve as the first fitting right at the wall of the tank. Apart from being stupid, it just wouldn't be practical if any maintenance was required.

Could it be that some sort of electrical actuator is fitted onto the handle of a manual shutoff valve, or there is some sort of cover over the whole lot. My tank on the German motorhome has a large cast aluminium box over the gauge, regulator and valve and I have to remove that to check the tank level or shut the tank off completely. There is another valve further downstream to shut the propane off when refilling the tank
Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Baldtbird.06, I didn't mean it as in it being old in age. I meant it as being old as in my previous motorhome. look in the first bay that goes from on side of the motorhome to the other. On the front wall of this bay (the wall towards the front of the motorhome) there was a black access panel up high between the frame rails. I was told by the dealer I bought it from this was to get to all the connections on the LP tank.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
OK so there are remote LP shut of valve. Had a remote on my boat that was triggered by the explosive gas detector and the fire alarm.
Here is a link to what it looks like.
Seaward - Electric Propane (LPG) Solenoid Valve Remote Shutoff, 93151
Since we don't know what system controls are by name on the OP MH it is difficult to look much more than this.

here is another
https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp...62/281762.aspx

Your switch looks a like an atwood water heater remote. Must be more switches or the bulb could be burned out.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OLDE 2006 Comment

Not to worry.
I did not take the comment in any other way than a previous owned RV.
And my mention of olde was to myself.........at 76 yrs young.
Just got DMV approval to drive for another 3 years
The ONE REASON wife and I traded up from 2005 Rialta tiny 22ft to now 2006 Damon Astoria 36 ft DP
Never to olde to do it bigger and better
thanx for all your assistance on the propane issue.
Ill check that idea also in next 15 minutes.

baldtbird.06

Tags
propane, tank