Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #29

That is an amazing video, thanks for the link. I think his high rate of speed definitely didn't help the situation. That would be very scary ride for sure, thankfully no serious injuries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #30

As the MH passed, it was clearly at the far left edge of the lane. The toad is nearly all the way left so the MH was fully left.
The MH does an immediate lurch ti the left with no way to recover.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #31

I thought he had a chance to recover at around 14sec mark of the vid. But being on the grass with no traction (even if he was flooring it), it would of been a miracle save. Maybe with more room and on pavement the result would be different. The problem here is the rear engine, it will try to get ahead of the front wheel that has no traction. Also, Im sure the rear engine and toad caused it to swing around and flip the MH.

The DP is like driving a sledge hammer, it will naturally want to swing around at high speed cornering. Best thing to do is to keep accelerating till the rear tires gain traction... I have a rear engine car so I feel this all the time.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
As the MH passed, it was clearly at the far left edge of the lane. The toad is nearly all the way left so the MH was fully left.
The MH does an immediate lurch ti the left with no way to recover.

It is a shame they do not make the shoulders on both sides the same width. Outcome may have been different if they were.

1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #33

Boostable - what did the S-T-P cost and how are you going to have it installed? I don't know of a reliable RV mechanic in our area other than the dealership and I'd like to have some background before talking to them.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Just curious...care to elaborate on this statement? Other than possible excessive speed(it's all speculation at this point) what could the driver have done differently & how does tire life factor into this crash?
Step on the accelerator to get control and slow down gradually is the correct thing to do. My comment was directed to the comments on the newspapers web site BTW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
Boostable - what did the S-T-P cost and how are you going to have it installed? I don't know of a reliable RV mechanic in our area other than the dealership and I'd like to have some background before talking to them.
I paid 463 for the stabalizer and 46 and some change plush shipping for the bracket. I will install it myself. I do plan on having the alignment checked before installing just to make sure its all good.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #36

I dont know about it being a tire blowout. i watched this video over and over and there is no sign of an explosion. A blown tire blows a huge cloud of black all over the place and this MH does not do that. I'm suspecting something else...possibly driver distracted, or a steering failure...just doesnt appear like a tire failure.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimalberta View Post
I dont know about it being a tire blowout. i watched this video over and over and there is no sign of an explosion. A blown tire blows a huge cloud of black all over the place and this MH does not do that. I'm suspecting something else...possibly driver distracted, or a steering failure...just doesnt appear like a tire failure.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Disagree. In the video you can clearly see chunks of tire flying rearward on the left side of the coach before it leaves the pavement. And if you find the photo of the rig laying on its side you can also clearly see the shredded tire on the left front. It was a blowout. The video of from the right rear of the rig and the blowout was on the left front so no way you could see the tire "explode."
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #38

A few thoughts:

1. Always check your tire pressures each day before traveling.
2. Replace front tires at least every 7 years or earlier.
3. Frequently inspect all your tires by crawling under the rig.

These steps will minimize the chance of a front tire blowout.

JohnnyB
Old 05-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #39

All I can say about that video is >>>> Seeing how we will be full timers by the end of the year this really makes you think about staying alert and not being distracted. I too agree that speed may have been an issue here. Thank goodness though that nobody was seriously hurt. How, I don't know. We always wear our seatbelts, but this is just more proof that they can, and will, save your life.

Be safe everyone and happy travels!

Ron and Marybeth
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 AM   #40

I doubt that coach is over seven years old - so the tires likely aren't either. But they could've been under-inflated. Does anyone know if that model coach comes with tire pressure monitoring devices? I know a lot of coach owners (myself previously included) who don't check the tire pressure before every trip - heck, I used to check mine only a few times a year. And on a smaller coach I had on the Sprinter chassis, it was so hard to get to the rear inside stem that I only had the pressure checked when I had maintenance done once a year. Now, I don't leave the campground or home until the pressure sensors have all booted up and sent pressures to the display.

Remember, only a tire professional (not the kid they hire to break tires and to mount them to your coach) can tell you if your tires which appear fine on the outside, are actually disintegrating and should be replaced...
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Step on the accelerator to get control and slow down gradually is the correct thing to do. My comment was directed to the comments on the newspapers web site BTW.
Ahhh, ok, I did not read the web site comments...............
Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
We don't know if it was a blown driver's side tire or not. That tire may have become shredded hitting the cable.