Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
OWV

Tuscany XTE

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a Class A diesel pusher and the specs and floor plan of the Tuscany XTE 40 has attracted our attention. The purpose of this email is to ask members of this forum for their thoughts on the Tuscany XTE, pros and cons, and if you are able to comment, how the Tuscany XTE compares to the Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian. Of course, if you own something you really like, we would appreciate your thoughts as well.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Regards,
OWV
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a Class A diesel pusher and the specs and floor plan of the Tuscany XTE 40 has attracted our attention. The purpose of this email is to ask members of this forum for their thoughts on the Tuscany XTE, pros and cons, and if you are able to comment, how the Tuscany XTE compares to the Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian. Of course, if you own something you really like, we would appreciate your thoughts as well.

Regards,
OWV
I owned a Tuscany. The quality was very poor. I now own an Itasca and it is very high quality. If it were me, I would avoid the Tuscany.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
OWV

Itasca vs Tuscany

Thanks for your prompt response. Which model Itasca did you buy and why?

Regards,
OWV
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:

Regards,
OWV
I have a 2011 Tuscany, with 32000 miles, and we are completely satisfied with the coach, and the excellent support from Thor. We travel with friends in a tour, and one in an Endeavor. We have the same engine, Freightliner frame, Allison transmission Sony tvs and Michelin tires and oh yes we have an extra hundred thousand dollars in the bank. Thor has the best rv value in my opinion.
Freeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
OWV

What kind of Itasca did you buy to replace the Tuscany and why?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might also ask him what year of Tuscany. It used to be Damon and now is Thor. In Damon mode, it depended on year. There were a few years there were issues. Mine is a Damon and I love it. Thor I can't speak about of course.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I own a 2011.5 Thor Motor Coach Tuscany 42RQ and love it. I have not had any problems with it and I have 17000 miles on it now. The problems I have had were minor and Thor has taken care of them without question, even after out of warranty. Don't back away from Thor if it's the floor plan you like.
gmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quality is so subjective and varies so much from coach to coach. Even the day can make a difference.
We've had so little problem with our DSDP and I suspect it was because it was one of the last 2002's off the line and finished early in the week rather than on a Friday when everyone is in a hurry to go home!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #9

We purchased a 2006 DAMON Tuscany 4072 almost a year ago. It had ~16k on the odometer and less than 300 hours on the generator. We've had to replace one tire, the air dryer, and a wheel center cap. Other than that it's been maintenance only. We absolutely LOVE our Tuscany and think the quality is a solid 8.5 out of 10. Being 7 years old the interior is a bit dated but the floor plan is exactly what we wanted. We lucked out because we bought based pretty much on price but it happens that we wouldn't change a thing about it. We now have ~24k on the odometer and exactly 1024 hours on the generator.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I binged the Tuscany XTE and it showed it weighed 42k, but was powered by a Cummins ISB...a 6.7L engine. Way too small for that much weight. We have friends that got a mid line HR with that engine...drove it to AK, came home and traded.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I binged the Tuscany XTE and it showed it weighed 42k, but was powered by a Cummins ISB...a 6.7L engine. Way too small for that much weight. We have friends that got a mid line HR with that engine...drove it to AK, came home and traded.

Mine topped out at ~38klbs empty and is powered by a 360HP ISC. That's a 8.1L. I wasn't aware the 6.7 was an option. Plenty of power on the 8.1. ~700 miles from Florida to home at 65MPH and downshifted once. I can get up to 85MPH easily and quickly. Even fully loaded while pulling a 16' enclosed trailer loaded with three motorcycles. I wouldn't even consider the 6.7 but the 8.1 is a hoss.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am really non committal in these forum issues. Most folks love what they purchase since they own them! There are so many problems with all these complicated machines it will drive sane people to the point of exasperation! Just look at the multitude of positive and negative post on this forum. Personally I believe Thor is a fine producer mid level fiver's and small class A gassers. JMHO..
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
OWV

Excellent point. Thanks for the reality check. As indicated in the original note, we are newbies and still struggling with terminology. So, at the risk of asking a dumb question, what is a fiver? Also, would you care to share your opinion on what you think are other fine producers of mid-level diesel pushers in the 35-40 foot range? And, if you don't mind do you have any opinions on who produce low and high level? We obviously want to stay away from the low level and can't afford the high level producers. Lastly, I note that you have a 45 footer. What is your experience trying to get into state and national parks? Thank you for any thoughts you would like to offer.

Regards,
OWV
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
....how the Tuscany XTE compares to the Winnebago Journey/Itasca Meridian.
OWV
I suggest going to the Hershey RV show next month. You will be able to see them all, touch them, ask questions, etc.

You are less than 3 hours away from a good time and a lot of answers.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote