Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #15

Wow, tons of info thanks everybody. So if I understnd my old batwing style is not outdated. if I could get parts I'd prolly just fix it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Here is a site with all the parts for sale and a exploded view drawing so you can see the parts in the antenna and lift arm.
Marksrv.com rv antenna page

Dick

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
I have some sort of a flat disk on my coach for over the air. It works Great. No cranking or anything and best of all, the dw can watch over the air tv when we hit some rough weather.

I think it is about 6 inches off the roof and about 12 inches round
Those are what I am talking about when I talk about the "Flying Saucer" type... Those are good if it's close in, but they do not work well if you are out a ways.

The "Sensar" is a more powerful antenna and will "See" stations that are farther away.. Add the wingman and it can see even farther in the UHF band than it can without. (Makes UHF performance closer to VHF)

The Flying saucer ones are ok,, but if the signal is marginal the Sensar (Batwing) will out perform it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Unfortunately I am one who seems to be unable to get good reception no matter what I do. I had an existing batwing antenna with fairly good reception until the digital era descended up us. I got a new head for my antenna when I got the wingman and a very expensive Winegard converter box. A few months ago the converter box died so I bought a new TV. I had a beautiful picture on the few stations I could get at Lake Whitney. I left there and went to Shreveport, LA where I received a great picture on the few channels I got (no ABC, CBS, or NBC). At Lake Medina I got only two channels with constant infomercials and this past weekend at the Texas Boomers campout I received NO channels.

Back in Houston I have a great picture and all the channels. I can't continue to camp in my driveway just to get good TV reception! Yes, I have an amplifier and use it. My RV repair shop has done everything they can do for me, as I have a great picture there. As I see it, my only option is to get Direct or Dish TV just so I can watch the evening news.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Barbara, this past weekend we had 21 or 22 channels at Cut-n-Shoot. It was not easy to tune and I had to scan 3 times to get zeroed in on the channels. Next time we are out, let me know and I'll see what is going on.

Ken
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I scanned several times - with the antenna all the way up, twisted to either side, and half way up. Nothing on either TV (I checked the back TV too, just in case). I will be back at Country Place in 2 weeks so if you have any suggestions please let me know.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Barbara, HERE is a digital TV signal strength meter that hooks to your antenna aid in getting close to the stations quickly. All it will tell yo is that there is a signal, not which station. You can get a meter that tells the frequency, but they are like $400.00.

You basically point the antenna toward where you think the stations are located and run a scan. If you pick up even one station, go to the menu and pick the signal strength meter and aim the antenna for the best signal possible. Then do a rescan.

If you did not get a signal turn the antenna 45 degrees and try again. If not stations go back to 45 degrees from the original trial.

Since we have gone to digital, it is harder to find stations. Thank Uncle Sam and the FCC for fixing a problem that did not need to be solved.

Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading this entire thread I am still unclear if there is a benefit to upgrade the standard (older style) Winegard antenna with a Winegard RV-Wing Wingman Sensar Antenna Upgrade.
If I increase signal strength on UHF channels is that really going to make a difference in the ability to receive more digital HD channels?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
After reading this entire thread I am still unclear if there is a benefit to upgrade the standard (older style) Winegard antenna with a Winegard RV-Wing Wingman Sensar Antenna Upgrade.
If I increase signal strength on UHF channels is that really going to make a difference in the ability to receive more digital HD channels?
Since most of the new HD digital TV signals are on the UHF band, the answer is a resounding yes.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #24

Folks it's real easy to "find" digital tv stations. You need a compass and a internet connection. Go to www.dtv.gov and click on Reception Maps, then input your address or zip code where you are sitting. It will show a list of the stations in your area. Click on the stations call sign and it will tell you exactly what degrees to point your antenna. I use it every time before I do a scan and I get plenty of stations crystal clear.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last week we camped near San Clemente Ca. And picked up 42 channels all clear as a bell with Winegard and wingman. I'm impressed.

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried and liked the Wingman, But I really like the "Jack" antenna. Much better in my opinion.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I removed an old outside antenna today and replaced it with a GS 2200 Winegard and the Wingman. I am VERY pleased with the improvement. I also think the wind won't have much effect either. I now think I'll get another wingman for the mo/ho.
Safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cant' believe I'm so brainwashed that I can't quite grasp the concept of "Free TV"