Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

TV audio problem

The tv audio in our unit is controlled by our radio system. We set the radio channel to 89.1 then click a switch on the dash from stereo to tv and the audio comes through our coach speākers. The audio is muffled..breaks up...all kinds of problems. The radio audio works just fine. Has anyone else encountered problems with this type of system! This is in a 2000 National Trade winds.

Keith and Rita Scott
Thunder Bay Ontario

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

It sounds like it's using an FM transmitter to link the TV to the radio. I remember about that time frame when those were coming out. I was never too impressed with the technology as it was always fighting against some local college radio station or public access radio.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Sounds like the transmitter could be out of alignment and not broadcasting on the exact frequency. If your radio receiver has synthesized tuning (i.e. 89.1 > 89.3 > 98.5) it won't be able to tune a slightly off transmission. Not knowing what the transmitter is, can't tell you how to adjust it.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They were called fm modulators. They still make them but probably hard to find. Look on amazon and replace it. Its plugged into your audio out on the back of your tv. They can usually be set to broadcast to at least a couple different stations. Perhaps there is a competing station in the area you are in so setting it to a different station and tuning your radio to the new station may help. Kind of antiquated technology. Might be time for an upgrade.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here ya go! click on this
Robot Check
Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

Ok we only seem to have 2 stations we can use...89.1 or 98.1. Have been using 89.1 only so tried 98.1 and it seems to work better. I think I understand now...it is kind of like our Sirius satellite radio but having only 2 stations to use is not adequate. If there is a radio station on both in the area that we happen to be in then the audio is interrupted. Am I understanding this correctly? Yes maybe time to upgrade to a new TV! Thanks for you help. Rita
Old 02-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscott View Post
Ok we only seem to have 2 stations we can use...89.1 or 98.1. Have been using 89.1 only so tried 98.1 and it seems to work better. I think I understand now...it is kind of like our Sirius satellite radio but having only 2 stations to use is not adequate. If there is a radio station on both in the area that we happen to be in then the audio is interrupted. Am I understanding this correctly? Yes maybe time to upgrade to a new TV! Thanks for you help. Rita
That's exactly it. You could just add a soundbar or some such to your TV. Or, yeah, upgrade.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"rkscott".....Our Monaco had a Magnadyne radio that split the speakers the same way. If you're ready for an upgrade, you can add an inexpensive home theater system ($100-$200), place it in your component cabinet and then just run the speaker wires connected to the radio to the home theater system. The biggest job is adding some speaker wire to the existing wire and routing it up your "A" pillar to a cabinet.

Years ago, I found an open box home theater system at Best Buy where they had been hard on the speakers. Since I didn't need the speakers, it worked out well.

By doing the above, you can also upgrade your dash radio without worrying about buying something with a similar system.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
It sounds like it's using an FM transmitter to link the TV to the radio. I remember about that time frame when those were coming out. I was never too impressed with the technology as it was always fighting against some local college radio station or public access radio.
Absolutly.. Try tuning up/down a bit on the FM radio... They sometimes set a switch wrong on the FM Transmitter.

I use those things, they work fairly well, but none of them are perfect... There are better ways to do it.

Tags
audio