Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

TV Cable issue

We have a 2005 Bounder, When I hooked the TV cable line to the RV the TV’s did not recognize the cable. How can I tell if I have a break in the cable wiring in the RV?
Jerry4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Do you have a TV ‘booster’ panel, with (or without) an indicator light to show when the antenna amp is on? Those panels also serve as a source selector switch, and when in the off position, exterior cable is selected. When on, the cable is disconnected from the TVs and the antenna is connected instead. Easy thing to check at least.

And of course, the TVs have to be set to ‘cable’ rather than ‘antenna’.

If this is all obvious and already done, my apologies.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning, since I doubt you have a signal tracker, the easiest way would be to use an ohm meter. If you make up a long test lead jumper wire you can connect one end to the center pin of your cable where it enters the rig and the other end to your ohm meter. Take the other lead from your ohm meter and touch it to the center pin of the cable that connects to your tv. If there is a break you wont have continuity. You can use a piece of cable extension as the test lead, just make sure you test it first to make sure it is good. Also test the outer shield for continuity.
Since you said tv’s, I would check for a splitter in the cable line. They are subject to corrosion.
Hope this helps.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

My 05 bounder has the black box with all the push buttons and in the wet bay is where you hook up the cable. it says for sat. when I want to cable I just run cable in the slide and hook up to the black box and push cable and scan tv.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a bubble pak of Termination Caps.....found where they stock coax stuff......screw one on outside connection, then using ohm meter inside, probe both the inner solid wire and the outer part of same connector.....if you get a reading, cable is good......if you want to just check a cable, also purchase a pak of male to male connectors....need one screwed onto cable end for the cap.....I would also check for loose coax connections on back of wall plates....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have suggested but noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buy a coax continuity tester like this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

Hey Jerry welcome to the forum, as KasKan said, look for the little "looks like a light switch panel" usually somewhere near where the Front tv is located. Just a white or black cover that you usually find on a light switch or receptacle. It will have a little Red or Green led and should be lit in your situation. There will be a little button next to it, push the button. This turns off the power to your outside antenna, and more importantly for you, switches input from the antenna to the cable connection.
Then perform a scan of the tv once you set it for cable and you should be in business.
Hope this helps
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable