Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

TV installation on totally enclosed cabinet

I have reviewed the numerous threads on tv installations. My new tv will be slightly larger than the cabinet opening. No problem, install a piece of plywood and mount the tv bracket to it.....however, the cabinet is across the corner of the bedroom and is totally enclosed. Can't figure out how to install the tv without cutting holes in the bottom of the cabinet to reach in and put the bolts on and still have the tv mounted against the cabinet.

If someone suggests an easy solution that doesnt involve ctting holes in the cabinet I'm scheduling an appointment with my doctor cause I have studied this for months without finding a solution!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Two ideas

1) cut a large hole(6") in the center of the plywood, reach your hand thru to pull wires and attach bolts, then hang the TV. Use a TV mount with a French cleat, such as Tiffin uses.

2) Hinge the plywood. Then you can access behind for additional storage.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed a 2x4 brace inside the cabinet. (It has no front door so is not totally enclosed.)

Then attached an extending articulated mount from Monoprice.com to the brace.

Then attached the TV to the mount and pushed it back flush against the cabinet's open front.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Making the doctor appointment in the morning.......But i will tell him I wasn't aware of the French cleat type mount.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Or the extended articulating mount
Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
I have reviewed the numerous threads on tv installations. My new tv will be slightly larger than the cabinet opening. No problem, install a piece of plywood and mount the tv bracket to it.....however, the cabinet is across the corner of the bedroom and is totally enclosed. Can't figure out how to install the tv without cutting holes in the bottom of the cabinet to reach in and put the bolts on and still have the tv mounted against the cabinet. If someone suggests an easy solution that doesnt involve ctting holes in the cabinet I'm scheduling an appointment with my doctor cause I have studied this for months without finding a solution!
I replaced my front TV per below, however, the process would still be the same. First mount the wall bracket to the plywood, then mount the plywood to the cabinet. Make the plywood larger than the opening and then countersink and face screw through the cabinet. You can add decorative plugs after. Mount your TV bracket portion of the mount to the TV. The TV then hooks on to the wall mount portion and has a couple of spring clips that hold it to the wall mount bracket. To remove the TV, simply pull the two strings that release the spring clips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2050670524.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	47734

Name:	image-2225890980.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	47735

Name:	image-1755360524.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	47736

Name:	image-2258387380.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	47737

Here are some of my rear TV install that may also give a few hints to possibilities. This is an articulating mount install.

Name:	image-3357605859.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	47738

Name:	image-3818672881.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	47739

Name:	image-3188258430.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	47740

Name:	image-2843061454.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	47741
Old 10-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

tv install

hey Dogpatch,

I love the photos of your tv installs. I want to install a tv in my front cabinet that is larger than the opening and I want to put it on an articulating arm so when we're sitting on the couch I can swing the tv around for better viewing. How did you attach that piece of 2x4 that you screwed the tv arm to? Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the same type of articulating swing arm for my front tv. Brace does not have to go flush to the front of cabinet. I installed bracket to side of the inside of the cabinet. Lots of room to screw into place there. I am quite able to swing tv out for better viewing angle.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Checkout all of these TV mounts that are available. I bought mine at Sams club that has rubber grommets that bolt to the TV and slips down over a bracket bolted to a piece of plywood.

Wall Mount Brackets - Monoprice.com,Accessories
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
install a piece of plywood and mount the tv bracket to it.....however, the cabinet is across the corner of the bedroom and is totally enclosed. Can't figure out how to install the tv without cutting holes in the bottom of the cabinet to reach in and put the bolts on and still have the tv mounted against the cabinet.

If someone suggests an easy solution that doesnt involve ctting holes in the cabinet I'm scheduling an appointment with my doctor cause I have studied this for months without finding a solution!
Suggest a trip to an audio-video store to see how a mount actually works...
1/2 of the mount is attached to the plywood you mentioned. The other 1/2 is bolted to the TV. THEN the TV is "hung" on the plywood. There are NO bolts to install at that time. There will be a locking mechanism but NO bolts. You'll need a small 1-2" hole in the plywood to feed the cables.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BG,
What is the present TV mounted to? In my case my main area TV is center coach and originally was a 30" with an outside dimension width of 36". Three inches of unusable framing on the TV. It was mounted in such a fashion that there was a metal bracket frame bolted inside the opening. I had to move the bracket back, put a 2 x 6 on the back side of the bracket and mounted an full articulating arm to the 2 x 6. (I also used a 2 x 2 aluminum angle iron for the 2 x 6 to rest on and also as the bottom bolt of the articulating arm.

I found a Panasonic 36" television with a 36" diagonal screen that fit inside the opening leaving a 1/4" all around. Since the speakers of the TV are underneath I unstrap the safety strap and pull the TV out about 3 inches to have the speaker in the open. When traveling it pushes back into the opening up agains the frame and is strapped across the front with two straps.

As for the bolts, I had no problem but thinking about your situation you can use those bolts that have the expandable butterfly clips (toggle bolt) and only need to drill a hole where the butterfly pushes down to under the plywood, and not one big enough for a hand to fit through.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula55 View Post
hey Dogpatch,

I love the photos of your tv installs. I want to install a tv in my front cabinet that is larger than the opening and I want to put it on an articulating arm so when we're sitting on the couch I can swing the tv around for better viewing. How did you attach that piece of 2x4 that you screwed the tv arm to? Thanks for the info.
In my case on the rear TV, because of the setback required for the TV to sit flat, I mounted the top of the 2x4 to a piece of 3/4" plywood before putting it in place. Then I pin nailed it to the inside back of the cabinet. The top joint isn't as imperative as the base as the weight of the TV comes against the cabinet. In my case, for the base, I screwed up from the underside of the shelf into the base of the 2x4 with some 2-1/2" screws put in at a slight angle due to length. I put a temporary block in front of the 2x4 between it and the cabinet so that the angled screws didn't draw the 2x4 back out of my needed measurement. One the screws were in place, I removed the temporary block.

This would also work in a front TV install. You would have the option of countersinking and screwing up through the base of the cabinet a and use some matching wood domed plugs on the screws stained to match cabinetry or measure carefully and pre-mount a 6"x8" piece of 3/4" plywood to the base of the 2x4, put the assembly in place and then using the appropriate length of screws, mount the plywood to the inner base of the TV cabinet. You wouldn't see any mounting from the exterior.

Every time I do a new TV install in one of my coaches, the install seems to get simpler. I don't sweat about the need for extra cabinet space and looking like a cabinet once the TV is moved. I can still store things behind the TV that aren't regularly used and have access when needed. It's a great place for all my coach manuals and brochures.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask for specifics or PM me.

Oh, forgot to mention, for the articulating arm, make sure you purchase a locking type. They have a small chain that pulls a pin in the assembly to let the TV swivel and mounts solid when not in use. Perfect for your application.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here is a link to the type of locking mount I recommend.
Make sure you size the mount for the weight of the TV it needs to carry. It needs to be pretty sturdy once the TV is articulated.

This mount is for a 26" but the premise is the same for the lock. Many of this type available on the market for most sizes of TV's.

Master Mounts 403L TV Wall Mount Locking Cantilever Silver Mount TVs in RVs | eBay
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
This is a link to another locking mount for larger TV's by MORyde.

MOR/ryde Products

Tags
install