Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #15

Vettenuts, how would you get electric for fireplace and TV to that location? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
YC1

I changed our mount to a swivel mount. It swings out nicely now and I also pulled out the couch and installed recliners. The recliners are not bolted down so they can be pulled out and turned. It is very comfortable now.

The chairs are held in place by the seat belts that were on the couch. I use some quick clips to remove the belts when not in use.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #17

Hi Jerrilynn,

I sincerely apologize for the sideways view of these photos. I went back to the original files and rotated them; waste of time. These were taken today. I did the installation in 2014.

I bought the basic cabinet from a surplus sales store. I modified it to fit. That saved me from having to go into the furniture manufacturing business.

The Mor-ryde lift is available directly from them. You can see the top of the lift sticking out of the countertop when the TV is down; that particular model was too tall to hide completely. You can also see the rectangular hole in the upper cabinet; this allows the top of the lift to go high enough to disappear .

This installation took some planning and work-around effort, but it has worked for us pretty well.

Just a note on that: when we first got this coach we were on the road. I just ordered the lift and mounted it in the space behind the jack knife sofa, moving the sofa forward a few inches We used it that way for several months until we got back to the S&B. THAT'S when we decided to put in the cabinet. If we had expected need a sofa or bed there, we would have left it alone.

The open cabinet shows the space for the satellite receiver.

Hope this can help some.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	187460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	187461  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	187462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	187463  

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #18

Beautiful!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I just finished building a cabinet from scratch. Good comparison with the previous post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/buil...et-372528.html
Old 01-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
tvp

Look at the Newmar Canyon Star 3710 floor planClick image for larger version

Name:	B9F9386C-B338-496A-BA0C-EDBAE510E4FB-16248-000011146B338D11.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	187483
Tv above Fireplace and comfy L shape motorized couch....[emoji736]
Old 01-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I changed our mount to a swivel mount. It swings out nicely now and I also pulled out the couch and installed recliners. The recliners are not bolted down so they can be pulled out and turned. It is very comfortable now.

The chairs are held in place by the seat belts that were on the couch. I use some quick clips to remove the belts when not in use.
Yes, did the same thing.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I really don't trust the TV's on lifts, too much chance of failure or hanging up on wires not properly bundled away from the lift mechanism. Plus viewing is blocked for those sitting on the loveseats in front of them.

Mid-ship TV's became, & still are, quite popular, but most are blocked (except those floorplans as noted in the above CS) when the slide is in. This is an issue for us because we often Wallydock & not being able to view the main TV while parked is not acceptable. I also don't like having to look past a dinette or some other obstruction in the way to view the TV. And finally, those mid-ship TV's are still at a nearly 90-degree angle if sitting on the couch.

More coaches are having floorplans with a combo TV/fireplace on an angle in the corner of a slide - like many had years ago. 2014-16 Tuscany XTE's & 2018 Discovery LXE's are some examples. TV is viewable by all, except maybe the person sitting in the turned around co-pilot seat, not blocked by an incoming slide & directly across from reclining theater seating. For me this is my ideal viewing layout & what I will seek out for our next coach.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #23

Thank you for the pictures. You have done an awesome job of installing the lift. Thank you for posting the pictures.

I really appreciate all the responses. This helps me to have options when we purchase our RV.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Our Winnebago Adventurer 35P would seem not to have good viewing angles from the floor plan. In reality, it’s great for watching tv. The driver and passenger chairs turn around and provide a perfect viewing angle in a comfortable chair at the right distance from the TV. There is also a great position at the dinette (for those who like to eat and watch tv :-) and the sofa is great for lying down and watching. Anyway, we don’t watch much TV, but I have been surprised at how good the viewing it with the floor plan.

That's me on the sofa, plus two dogs. I'll try to post a pic.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
Vettenuts, how would you get electric for fireplace and TV to that location? Sorry for the newbie questions.
I have a plug right in that position and we would need to be plugged in or on generator for power. Since our new overhead and recliner setup has worked out so far, I abandoned the idea.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
Thanks for the idea of using the Fjord recliners. Do you need to attach the recliners to your MH? From your comment, you are able to move them - or do they swivel?
Yes, the swivel and recline but don't rock. Bought them from Bradd & Hall as they had the best price even though local furniture stores had them on sale. They were very helpful during the sale as well.

We go to the RV show each winter looking at coaches but we all look at 5th wheels mostly to get ideas for upgrades we can make to our coach. Each year we see a few new things we consider. Just finished a full LED conversion using M4 Products LED bulbs, that made a big difference in lighting and lowering power consumption while dry camping.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TV Location

We ignored the TV position when we bought our MH, figuring it is just a TV and we have 4 of them, but we did find the seating position was not the issue, it was the uncomfortable L-sofabed. Dinette is comfortable, seats when turned around are comfortable- L sofa is in the way and will be eliminated ASAP, replaced with sofa/recliner.
JOHNMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMN View Post
We ignored the TV position when we bought our MH, figuring it is just a TV and we have 4 of them, but we did find the seating position was not the issue, it was the uncomfortable L-sofabed. Dinette is comfortable, seats when turned around are comfortable- L sofa is in the way and will be eliminated ASAP, replaced with sofa/recliner.

Thanks for your reply. We are looking at a Winnebago Vista XL with an L-shaped sofa. Just wondering what about the sofa was not comfortable. Maybe the setting position? Low back rest?

Tags
cat