Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #1

TV Over Winegard Batwing

I have a Vizio TV installed in my RV. I can receive cable from the campgrounds and also watch a DVD but I can't receive anything from my over the air batwing antennae. Do I need a digital convertor to use the batwing? I was under the impression that with a digital TV that I didn't need that convertor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #2

My vizio 32" always picks up the digital signals if we aren't in remote areas where there are no stations

Old 07-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

When you go from cable to antenna you have to go into setup and tell the TV to look at the antenna and not cable. Then you have to find the antenna amplifier and turn it on. Then do an auto scan of the channels in the TV setup. If you have not found the amplifier it will look like a wall outlet plate. Mine is up over the passenger seat in a compartment. It will probably have a TV coax connector on it and sometimes a 12 Volt recptacle like a cigarette lighter socket. You will find a button on it and when you push it you should maybe see a light come on to show you that it is on. When you switch back to the cable you will have to remember to turn this amp off or you won't be able to see the cable.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #4

What ron said is correct but we have to disconnect the cable from cg feed.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9tf View Post
When you go from cable to antenna you have to go into setup and tell the TV to look at the antenna and not cable. Then you have to find the antenna amplifier and turn it on. Then do an auto scan of the channels in the TV setup. If you have not found the amplifier it will look like a wall outlet plate. Mine is up over the passenger seat in a compartment. It will probably have a TV coax connector on it and sometimes a 12 Volt recptacle like a cigarette lighter socket. You will find a button on it and when you push it you should maybe see a light come on to show you that it is on. When you switch back to the cable you will have to remember to turn this amp off or you won't be able to see the cable.
Exactly....
Note: I had a decrease in the number of channels that I received from my batwing. I checked all of the connections on the roof and all 'looked' OK.
I tried to unscrew the coax connector from the batwing and it just turned the whole connection. SO, I cut the coax about 6 inches from the connector, removed the pins that hold the batwing to the frame and took the whole thing down to the picnic table to work on it.
I was able to separate the plastic cover on the antenna so I could get a pair on needle nose vice grips on the inside connector and then was able to unscrew the outside connector from the antenna.
What I found:
The connector seemed to be OK with little corrosion. The ground and hot were OK, visually.
The problem:
I removed the connector from the cable and peeled back some of the black coax outer sheath. I discovered that the "aluminum foil" ground had completely disintegrated into a white powder. Thus, I had little or no ground in this cable.
I cut out a section of the "bad" cable and replaced it with a ~10 inch jumper cable. Used dielectric on all connections and put everything back together.
I went into the coach and turned on the 12v booster switch and did a channel search.
I went from 12 channels to 63!!!!!! The picture was clearer than I ever saw it.
Point of interest:
Everything looked OK from my visual inspection. Had I not cut the cable to remove the antenna, I would never had discovered that the cable had INTERNAL corrosion problems.
I am a Blessed man. TV works great, wife is happy, now I have more junk channels to skip over.
Good thing we have a "retro" channel to watch.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcontender View Post
I have a Vizio TV installed in my RV. I can receive cable from the campgrounds and also watch a DVD but I can't receive anything from my over the air batwing antennae. Do I need a digital convertor to use the batwing? I was under the impression that with a digital TV that I didn't need that convertor.
You don't need a converter or a digital antenna. you need to be sure the leads to the antenna are good and that the power amplifier to the antenna is turned on most if not all motor homes have one. I get 33 digital channels with my standard batwing antenna. Most of the time I don't even have to crank it up if in town. I get one analog station. Make sure your TV is a HDTV and not just HDTV ready.
Mel
Old 07-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok first you have the hardest TV to set up of any I have dealt with (Several) Congrats on that .. No matter.

You have a Batwing... The basic batwing is a very good VHF/VHF antenna (yes there are TWO VHF bands) and a fair UHF. Adding the Wingman improves UFH performance. but let's not just yet.

Next we come into the Motor home.. You have one of two switches..

One is a wall plate. it has a 12 volt accessory outlet, (next to useless) a SWITCH (or button) A LED and an antenna jack.. Odds are the antenna jack is connected to your MAIN TV.

The othere box is what we call Da BOMB..(Box of many buttons.proper name Matrix Switch)

WALL PLATE
If you have the wall plate.. MAKE SURE THE LED IS ON..if it not on then the switch selects CABLE and there is no power to the antenna "Booster"(Mast head amplifier) up above the roof. Then skip next part.

BOMB:
If you have Da BOMB.. Make sure the power switch is ON... And select ANT for all televisons (To make sure you get the right one)

ANTENNA
Next: If you have a smart phone Android TV Antenna Helper Free.. Run it, it's all automatic (Search for antenna helper free).

The antenna is broadside to the signal.. that is if the blades point north and south the signal comes from east or west.

TV
Turn it on and hit MENU.. You are on your own from here but Setup up, Source (ANT) and Scan Last one I worked on I got lucky and hit it first try.. But man.. Luck was running high that day. (Shoulda bought a lotto ticket first).

First time I did a VIZO it took me around 10 mintues to find that option.
Finally, this assumes the VIZO is a modern one with ATSC ability (I think most if not all are).

FUTURE UPGRADE:
Wingman (Around 30 bucks) brings UHF performance up to level of VHF on the antenna

SENSAR PRO (about 100 bucks) greatly improves both VHF and UFH, adds additional features as well, replaces wall plate if that is what you have or is the only deice I know of that is DESIGNED to go between the Box of Many buttons and the antenna.. WORKS GREAT.
Once
Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies folks. Lots of info here. I do have a modern TV but I go to source and cable, HDMI one and two and DVD are my choices. In the past with my old RV I could choose antennae or cable and I was good to go. I think maybe since it doesn't sense any antennae input it isn't a choice. I'll turn on the antennae booster and see if that works but I'm sure I already did that. I need a pinger to determine which cable up there is coming from the batwing. I also have a Winegard satelite antennae but no receiver box as Direct TV won't do any good here in Fairbanks Alaska. I will probably put a receiver in the rv later this fall when I drive it to South Carolina. It had one in it when I bought it 2 years ago and it worked great.

So apparently I don't need a digital convertor as long as I have a digital TV.

I'll let y'all know how it comes out.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is another Menu option.. I think the path I followed was SETUP and choose the easy setup wizard or some such

The very next menu gave me the Antenna option

As I said. VIZO is the strangest menu of any TV out there.. Hold on let me research.. (I like research, I really do, it's how I learn and why I can "know so much" (I research it first) I also get paid to do it (Ok so it's perhaps 1/2 cent per search but paid it is).

Found it: Menu.. Near the end of that list is "CHANGE TV SETTINGS" and under that menu is SOURCE and under that is CABLE/ANTENNA

Wow.. Makes sense after you do it a few times but on all my TVs (3 different models) it's all under INPUT.

(I told you I like research)