Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #15

Regardless of which manufacturer you choose, make sure it has a tuner that matches your viewing needs (ATSC if you intend to use an over-the-air antenna and a QAM tuner if you intend to use cable). There are devices out there that have no tuners .... they are usually labeled as "tuner-free", "display", or "monitor".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #16

TV Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Regardless of which manufacturer you choose, make sure it has a tuner that matches your viewing needs (ATSC if you intend to use an over-the-air antenna and a QAM tuner if you intend to use cable). There are devices out there that have no tuners .... they are usually labeled as "tuner-free", "display", or "monitor".

What about Satellite, same as cable.? What if you want both OTA and satellite as we do now?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
bruceisla,
Not sure of all of what you're talking about in those tuner terms but, the Samsung LED TV we chose, a 32", doesn't have any trouble picking up over the air channels, cable, satellite, and an exterior or, auxiliary DVD player. I don't think you can ask for much more than that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
bruceisla,
Not sure of all of what you're talking about in those tuner terms but, the Samsung LED TV we chose, a 32", doesn't have any trouble picking up over the air channels, cable, satellite, and an exterior or, auxiliary DVD player. I don't think you can ask for much more than that.
Scott
What I am referring to is a new trend by manufacturers to remove tuners from some models. The rationale is that most folks have set top boxes (like satellite users) and don't need a tuner that is built into a TV. A buyer should not assume a display they are considering will work with cable or an antenna.
https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-...nt-really-tvs/
Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 AM   #19

I bought a new TV, another Samsung, same size. The choices at this store were slim.
Before I forget, Fireup, I looked at your project. Nice work. Appears you have cabinetry skills. I do NOT, darnit. But I am managing.
There are some differences between the old and new TV that require some adjusting as to attachment to " the cage". For one, the back of the old TV surface was flat. The new one is not, the bottom 3 inches, approx., sticks out. So I had to do some adjusting with different lengths of fasteners. Also, another problem, on the bottom of new TV is I assume the remote part, so I had to notch out the frame there, and, give a little space on the bottom so that part is not resting on anything. Also, the bolt pattern for mounting the TV are different, old Tv was 8 inch square, new one is 4, and the new screws are smaller, by about half, and, of course they don't supply those with the TV. I suppose they do with a wall mount kit, I dunno.
I made two trips to the hardware store for the screws, bolts, fasteners, whatever you want to call them. The ACE store around here seems to have a better selection than most others.
Anyways, I have it in there now, not totally wrapped up on the inside. Need to make sure everything is okie dokie before I button it up. There are a bunch of RCA cords hanging around from before that I think I will put somewhere else for now. The only thing I need to do now is get some trim for the front side of the cage and attach those, and, when I was messing around where all the boxes are for SAT, Walley, DVD, it was warm rather quickly. I guess I better get a fan to cool things down in there, right??
OH, the TV is working off the SAT. seemed to work better after I plugged the power cord in too the TV, LOL. Seems you have to plug BOTH ends in. . Hopefully I have it secured in there, time will tell, and when the trim is done, it will look just fine, just not centered, because, I had to move the TV far to one side in order plug in all the connections to it because of the mount configuration. Sorry, no pics, at least at this time. Will see after the trim.
Thanks to all for your support, you are the BEST.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Smile TV Replacement to our 2008 Dutch Star

Lost our original TV set a 40” Samsung in the Entertainment Cabinet, upon replacing to fit the opening where previous tv fit, it required a Samsung 49” for which the old steel mounting bracket does not line up. Has anyone else replaced tv in cabinets existing hole and had success by using old steel mount? Maybe with some sort of adjustment or addition?
Hoping for a Easy fix on what seemed simple and then became complicated

Pditty
Pditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pditty View Post
Lost our original TV set a 40” Samsung in the Entertainment Cabinet, upon replacing to fit the opening where previous tv fit, it required a Samsung 49” for which the old steel mounting bracket does not line up. Has anyone else replaced tv in cabinets existing hole and had success by using old steel mount? Maybe with some sort of adjustment or addition?
Hoping for a Easy fix on what seemed simple and then became complicated

Pditty
Pditty, Welcome to iRV2.

Just a hint , if your problem isn't the same as the original post starter's then , it's best to start a new thread , as most people will only read the first post , and not look at others .

But on to your problem , I do know that the new flat screen TVs come in two different mount hole spaces ; the measurements escapes me at the moment ; but most wall brackets come with holes for both. If your TV is in a telivator cabinet then the mount may be custom to the motor home manufacturer. I don't know if any audio/visual stores would have an adapter , or if you may need to have one fabricated.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement