Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

TV replacement

I have taken my TV out of my console in my 2005 Winnebago Voyage and want to replace it with a flat screen. Any thoughts on how to secure the flat screen in the console would be welcomed. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

You can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out.The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they make help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

My TV is not in the front. It is in a console behind the co-pilot seat. Thanks,
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
This is installed in an 05 Itasca Horizon. The procedure could be installed anywhere If you want the PDF, send me your Email
with your Winnebago manufactured coach, pay special to the area printed in red

To remove the original TV, First on either side if the TV cabinet, in the side cabinets by the edges closest to the TV are 2 screws (on each side) that must be removed. Then remove the plastic caps from the screws around the plastic under the TV, Remove the screws, but have someone hold the wood face, so the entire thing will fall down. Next take a socket wrench and remove the nut from each side of the strap holding the TV down. Remove the strap. Unplug the power, cable and the 2 RCA connecters on the strange wire coming from the back of the TV You will need this wire, explained later

I have sent the PDF of my installation and the specific warming for Winnebago products and some other manufacturers to almost 100 RV web subscribers

The following is a PDF file I made up to describe the process

Hope the photos and dialog help. If you get stuck and need a question answered, you can phone me and I will try to help
352 527 7059
The attached is the install on the 2005 Adventurer. and later a 2005 Itasca Horizon. The only difference on the Itasca Horizon was that the new Samsung LED LCD TV is only 1 inch thick and makes a tighter install. Around the opening between the TV and the wood cabinet, (Not Showing) Is 1/2 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick weatherstrip soft foam to seal the installation and eliminate any vibration

This is the finished job on the 05 Itasca Horizon. The procedures would be almost the same on any coach with the TV
mounted in the overhead cabinets. The overall goal was to mount it so that there is no vibration.

If you have a Winnebago product, or possibly some others " When you remove your existing TV, you will see 2 wires coming out of the back of the case with RCA plugs on the end. (1 ea red and white) When the TV is out lay it on its face and remove the case (Not difficult) You will see the wires to each speaker. Cut them off and pull them through the case. You will have to solder these wires in side the case of your new TV on each speaker. NOTE If your new TV has audio out plugs on the back, you can merely plug into these. It is these 2 wires that Winnebago uses to pick-up the additional speakers." This is the procedure that allows your radio/tv switch to work your auxiliary speakers. At the other end of the wires that were connected to the back of your TV(red and white RCA jacks) is an amplifier.

Regards
Lloyd Waters
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

They actually make a few different flat panel mounts. You could go with one of the wall mount styles if you can find a solid spot to hang it either on the sides or back wall of the cabinet and it would screw into the wall AND the screen so it would give it plenty of support. the trick is finding the spot where it can be hung (or using a couple of boards mounted sideways to make one, by mounting them to the studs you find then mounting to the boards). You also want to find an arm that can reach to put the screen in the position that you want. If you lookup lcd wallmounts you'll see many options.

Just as an example i found:
Wall Arm TV Mounts & Articulating TV Mounts
On google real quick that shows a few options. Hope this is helpful to ya.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
This is installed in an 05 Itasca Horizon. The procedure could be installed anywhere If you want the PDF, send me your Email
with your Winnebago manufactured coach, pay special to the area printed in red

To remove the original TV, First on either side if the TV cabinet, in the side cabinets by the edges closest to the TV are 2 screws (on each side) that must be removed. Then remove the plastic caps from the screws around the plastic under the TV, Remove the screws, but have someone hold the wood face, so the entire thing will fall down. Next take a socket wrench and remove the nut from each side of the strap holding the TV down. Remove the strap. Unplug the power, cable and the 2 RCA connecters on the strange wire coming from the back of the TV You will need this wire, explained later

I have sent the PDF of my installation and the specific warming for Winnebago products and some other manufacturers to almost 100 RV web subscribers

The following is a PDF file I made up to describe the process

Hope the photos and dialog help. If you get stuck and need a question answered, you can phone me and I will try to help
352 527 7059
The attached is the install on the 2005 Adventurer. and later a 2005 Itasca Horizon. The only difference on the Itasca Horizon was that the new Samsung LED LCD TV is only 1 inch thick and makes a tighter install. Around the opening between the TV and the wood cabinet, (Not Showing) Is 1/2 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick weatherstrip soft foam to seal the installation and eliminate any vibration

This is the finished job on the 05 Itasca Horizon. The procedures would be almost the same on any coach with the TV
mounted in the overhead cabinets. The overall goal was to mount it so that there is no vibration.

If you have a Winnebago product, or possibly some others " When you remove your existing TV, you will see 2 wires coming out of the back of the case with RCA plugs on the end. (1 ea red and white) When the TV is out lay it on its face and remove the case (Not difficult) You will see the wires to each speaker. Cut them off and pull them through the case. You will have to solder these wires in side the case of your new TV on each speaker. NOTE If your new TV has audio out plugs on the back, you can merely plug into these. It is these 2 wires that Winnebago uses to pick-up the additional speakers." This is the procedure that allows your radio/tv switch to work your auxiliary speakers. At the other end of the wires that were connected to the back of your TV(red and white RCA jacks) is an amplifier.

Regards
Lloyd Waters
Can you please send me a link to your pdf file. It was not here. We are replacing a 26 inch Sony on a 2007 Itasca and have no idea what we are doing. So far removed wood frame and plastic bottom. Thanks. We are new MH owners.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Tv install

The best way to get it is to send me your email address. I have forwarded this PDF to over 100 requests so far
Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
TV Removal

We cannot seem to remove the plastic plugs from the wooden frame surrounding the tv in our 2007 Winnebago Voyage. We've used a putty knife and a screw driver and they will NOT pop off! Any help is MUCH appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

You can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out.The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they make help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just the center part pops out to reveal the screw head inside. Use a VERY small screwdriver around the edges of the center part of the plug. Hope this works for you.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #10

I am replacing my front TV in my 2005 winnebago journey 32H. Could you send your PDF fiLe and any instructions including how to take the molding/wood off . It would be very helpful
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #11

Last message was a request to IAM SOUTH,