Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
TV Replacement

I have read many of the posts for replacing the front TV, and hopefully I made the right choice in TVs.

I have a 2002 Mountain Aire and the existing TV is 27". Not wanting to stay with a 26, bought a 32" Samsung that is 30.1 inches wide. My space is limited, and the distance between cabinet doors will be 30.5. The hinges on the cabinets have to be moved to the outer edge to get the full 30.5 so this is really going to be a squeeze.

The space for the TV has a curve to it so installing a new set isn't going to look perfect, but I dont' see an economical solution. The Samsung is only 1.2 deep so setting it on front of the opening won't create any special problems, and won't extend much more than the existing trim does now.

Several questions about mounting. From the posts I have seen, a bracket will be attached to plywood inside the existing cabinet. I was looking at brackets today, and if a flush mount is used, there won't be access to the video ports, etc. If the telescoping bracket is used, the TV won't be stationary during travel.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
I have done two LCD installs, both a little different. On the first one we had a 2007 Hurricane 34N gaser. I removed the TV, 26 or 27 inch - can't remember. Then I used two pieces of 1 1/2" angle aluminum stock to mount a standard flat wall mount to it. The Hurricane had a bottom access panel that allowed me to work on the back side and finish bolting it all together. I did shoot some photos when I did this one http://www.ronniesphotos.com/RV-Modi...94935486_EJ7e5

The last one I did was just a couple of weeks ago on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty. I had no rear or bottom access so the mounting was a little different and actually cheaper!. The TV had was mounted with a piece of angle iron on the top and a chain, yes chain, bolted to the back of the TV and the back of the cabinet. A 1 - 1 1/4" wood frame hid the bolts on the top. I created a new mount out of 1 1/2" aluminum angle stock. Ran two vertical pieces the length of the top to the bottom of the cabinet and two that fit between those two once they were mounted on the LCD. I used a 32" LED LCD that I purchased from Fry's Electronics for $270.00 !!!!! Totally flat back, and totally squared, i.e. no rounding of the bezel. I mounted the two vertical angle stock pieces to the back of the LCD in the standard wall mount holes, then screwed the two short pieces inside the cabinet. I drilled holes on each end of the vertical pieces then used self-tapping #10 screws to hold the LCD to the mounts. With the LCD in place I have about 1" opening at the bottom and top of the cabinet that shows the angle aluminum and screws. I cut off the sides of the old trim and screwed the top and bottom pieces back on the cabinet. I realize photos would help but I didn't thing about shooting when I was doing this! Maybe I will have time to shoot some photos in a day or so and will post them. It only takes me about 10-15 minutes to drop the LCD out of it's mounting system and put it back.

Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I did my conversion I just put in an quickly removable trim at the top---the flush mount could be lifted out easily---so I can have it out in a minute or so.

I saw a telescoping mount in another coach that had a pull cable attached, pull the cable and the TV could be moved out but remainded attached to the mounting. I did not use this approach because the mount was around $250. just did not need to spend the money. BUt it was a good idea. I did find one on-line--so can you Google away.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi PatMann,
Welcome to iRV2.
For Newmar specific examples on TV replacement go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/part...ods-18509.html
scroll about 1/4 down the entire length of the post (it is a long but valuable post) . There you'll find 5 examples of Newmar owners who have replaced their TVs.

There is a Newmar Owner's forum on iRV2. On the main iRV2 page scroll down to the Owner's Corner. There you will find the Newmar Owner's forum.

Nobody knows your coach like someone who owns one just like yours.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
I installed a 2 x 4 crosspiece and a 2 x 4 vertical piece in my 21" wide CRT cabinet using L brackets and heavy bolts, through the wood.

I then fastened a MonoPrice.com extending and swiveling mount to the vertical 2 x 4.

Total cost was about $30.

This mount allows me to pull out the TV and slide a DVR into the cabinet behind the flat panel TV and easily hookup all the wires or remove the TV.

(I use that 26" Vizio LED on my desk as a laptop monitor when not using the coach and the DVR is used at home as well. )

To cover the vertical cabinet opening not covered by the TV, I used black solar screen material fastened behind the original removable walnut facia surround.

I may make a more permanent opening cover, but the black screen does a nice job of blending so it is not so noticeable and allows me to dream up a better solution.

The new TV extends beyond the cabinet on either side by @ 3". I used black Velcro awning straps on bottom sides of the TV and interior of the cabinet to pull the tv against the cabinet frame and fasten the TV more rigidly during travel.

We just completed a 2,200 mile trip (including Hwy 99 in California) with no performance issues. The TV rode quite well.

Your cabinet geography may vary, but I have used 2 x 4 twice now in construction LCD mounts in a cabinet. They are not sexy, but also not visible to your visitors.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New LCD Install
2008 Damon Daybreak 3135,F53,2011 CR-V toad SMI Stay in Play Duo
Why wait for retirement enjoy life now !!!!!!!!!!
Me , DW, 2 kids and Kasey 8 year old yellow lab
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
We also have a '02 MADP. We installed flat screens in front and in the rear. I don't believe our new tv is the size of yours as we found the largest we could fit inside the existing overhead cabinet. We were able to utilize the curved front cabinet trim piece by re-installing it in front of the new recessed tv. We access the connections, if necessary, via the back of the cabinet which faces the windshield. Once installed, we have not had to access this area, but it can be done. Also, we replaced the windshield facing portion of the cabinet with a small holed black metal screen. This allows air circulation and aids in heat dispersal. From the outside, looking thru the windshield, you can't see into the cabinet.

Good luck. I wanted a larger replacement, but wrestled with the existing space between the adjacent cabinets as you are doing.
Tom & Kelly
'02 Mt. Aire DP 4095
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I'm passing all of this on to my non-RVing friends, who will help with this project. "They" wouldn't be able to tackle this without your input.
Pat, sister, and many dogs
07 Allegro Bus 42'
PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
He is a link to my photos for the two LCD TV's I replaced in my 2000 Winnebago. If I did this right, click 'My Photos" and the album should be there. If not, send me a PM and I can email them. Front was a 37" and rear was a 26". I put 5.1 surround sound in the main cabin as well. Both TV's are on a swivel/tilt mount.

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Here's what I did - first thing was to dump my crank up dish and replace with a KVH - this one -- TracVision R6 ST

This is a quick view - before and after --

While I was at it - I added an external Sirius antenna and a Firestick CB antennna - good recommendation from my mechanic to do all while I had it apart. This is the roof shot - I actually had just finished washing it that day in prep for a new caulk job ...

Here's what the front looked like once I removed the old TV ..

And here's what the back looked like ...

I had a carpenter modify the front cabinet and he re-built the back cabinet because it was so flimsy ... he used real cherry wood and did a good job of matching the color ... here's what the delivered product looked like - cost $600 ...

He removed the entire molding and assembly between the cabinets, re-sized it and fabricated where it simply screwed back into place -- here's what it looked like totally removed ...

Here's what it looked like with the frame re-installed

I added map lights with on-off switch and fans while I was at it - view from the outside ..

As well as a new Blu-Ray surround sound system .. all Samsung for easy integration ...

I did the wiring myself - I used the receiver that came with the system and ran that to the TV with the red, white and yellow cables (didn't come with HDMI outlet) and then used the previous directv receiver and ran than via HDMI cable to the TV. I used a de-stacker where I could spilt a signal and used an AB switch where I can input to the black Directv receiver via the roof satellite or a portable satellite in the event I'm blocked my trees. The control unit allows selection form multiple sources, such as cable input at a campground ...

The TV was mounted where it fits perfectly in the modified box and attaches with two screws on each side ... The final product ...

My only regret was that there was not enough room for a 32-inch TV - had to go with a 26 inch - but increased from 19 inches to 22 in the back bedroom. I can add a Blu-Ray player under the slot in the back if I want ... and, once done, I went to work outside - here's my revised compartment ... with a 32-inch TV and new sound system ..

I won't tell you this was easy - worked on and off on it for three months - cabinet maker took forever with several delays. I got the in-motion at a steal for $900 (some dealer was dropping its KVH product line and was reducing inventory. $250 for installation, another $250 for the lights, fans, radio antenna and CB upgrade. About a $1500 in TVs and sound systems. But, we love it. And, for all the arguments about the TV cutting off when you start the engine - just find your fuse box and remove the fuse that is labeled "TV relay" -- my wife watches TV rolling down the road using closed caption while I listen to the radio and listen to the truckers. Tons of effort, but well worth it. BTW, when I removed the crank up - left a 2 inch hole where it had been - dummied that up with a mini fire alarm from Home Depot that sells for under $5.
Lynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rather than move the hinges I trimmed about 1/4 inch off the edge of each cabinet door. Rounded the edge and put a little Summer Oak stain and poly on the wood. Even if you are looking for it you really can't tell the trimming was done.

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
new 32inch tv lcd

I did mine a little different. I also have a 02 mountainaire dp. I didnt like the head knocker cabinet when yu came in the door, so I modified my cabinet,s. I now lift the tv off of the bracket,s and store on the bed for travel. my tv is a 32 in lcd and now is belowthe overhead cabinets. don,thave to crane ther neck now to watch tv

fulltimeraye is offline   Reply With Quote