Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
TV replacement and audio connection

Iím in the process of replacing the original television in my 2001 Winnebago Journey DL. Iíve done this in two previous Bounders where the door is back in the coach; however, Winnebago puts the door right up front, so the tv has to be close to the frame to make sure it is not a head bonker. Iíve removed the old tv, so now I have to make a decision about a replacement. Iíd like some info on a couple of issues: First, a replacement tv will probably have to fit on the front of the frame. Iím looking at 32Ē tvs, but the distance between the two side access doors is 30 1/2 ď, so Iíd like to fine a 32Ē that will fit in those dimensions. Both Sharp and Vizio are over that size.

Second, Iíd like to feed the tv audio into the surround sound used by the radio. I donít think the current audio is powered. There is a rocker switch in the passenger-side cabinet that lets one choose between radio or tv; however, when switched to tv, the switch simply shuts off the radio feed to the speakers, it does not connect the tv to the speakers. How dumb is that? Few would run the tv and radio simultaneously. So, hereís the question: are there any tvs that have variable output? Recent Sonys, as I understand, no longer put variable output on their tvs. Iíve looked at Vizio and it doesnít seem that they do either. Is there a relatively cost reasonable way to get a digital tv to communicate with the non-powered analog speakers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

Take a look at Samsung, they show a 32 inch LED with dimensions of 28.5 x 17.

falconman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. I spent a long afternoon shopping around. I was looking for a TV that has variable output in order to connect it to the surround sound without a lot of extra equipment. Samsung has stopped making tvs with variable output, at least, it seems, is the smaller sizes. They have an optical output that has to be run through a converter to change it to digital or analog. What I did find was a 32” RCA with variable output. It has a weird shaped remote, but it was on sale for $175 at Best Buy. It has a picture as good as the other models and RCA has been making tvs a long time; though, I suppose, like most of the rest, they are made somewhere in Asia these days. So now I just have to see how it fits.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson8ford View Post
Thanks. I spent a long afternoon shopping around. I was looking for a TV that has variable output in order to connect it to the surround sound without a lot of extra equipment. Samsung has stopped making tvs with variable output, at least, it seems, is the smaller sizes. They have an optical output that has to be run through a converter to change it to digital or analog. What I did find was a 32Ē RCA with variable output. It has a weird shaped remote, but it was on sale for $175 at Best Buy. It has a picture as good as the other models and RCA has been making tvs a long time; though, I suppose, like most of the rest, they are made somewhere in Asia these days. So now I just have to see how it fits.
What is the model number of that RCA tv?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have satellite dish then you can run the output of the satellite receiver to a surround sound receiver if you have those components. Some recievers use an Audio Digital RCA cord and others use a fiber optic cable to take the output out of the satellite dish and into the Surround sound.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

I purchased a 32" Vizio about 1 1/2 years ago e320i-A0 & it has variable out. I now use the TV on the passenger side computer tray slide out when we're at the campsite. I lay the Vizio on the bed when traveling. I like the setup, it's easier to see the the TV now. I cut a piece of wood & stained it, put it up and Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401148316.710584.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	63908Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401148370.450540.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	63909mounted an oak cabinet door to the old TV spot to finish it off. I did have to move a pin on the connector on the faux surround to get it to accept the stereo signal from the new TV.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
audio, replace, replacement