Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

TV Sound Bar

I have installed my new flat screen 42" TV on the passenger side of the coach mounted on a TV lift that raises and lowers the TV by remote control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-4.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	44456

Name:	TV-2.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	44458

As with most of the flat screen TV's the built in speakers are not that great. I was thinking of a "Sound Bar" mounted under the cabinet shown in this picture while I was still working on the new TV stand.

Name:	TV on lift.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	44457

I could run the wires down the window valance. I have seen some with a wireless sub woofer. Any thoughts on a Sound Bar. thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our new Thor Challenger came with a Sony sound bar mounted below the TV (also Sony) with everything on a power lift. The woofer is under the couch on the other side of the coach. Sound quality is great and plenty of volume: we can easily drown out the air conditioner. One down side, it came with its own remote which has two volume controls, one for the sound bar and one for the TV but only one Mute button which mutes the TV only! We eventually figured out to keep the TV sound muted, set the volume for the sound bar and use the sound bar power button as a mute.

I'd say if you have the opportunity, go for a sound bar or some kind of surround sound system. RV's tend to have a lot of background noise and the TV speakers alone don't cut it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

I have a Jawbone bluetooth jambox for the music on my phone it can support 3.5mm audio cables too . I use it with my 22"Samsung tv for movies. It's great!
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #4

Heard of some good reviews on ZVOX.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"BOSE Solo".
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

The Bose Solo and the ZVOX look interesting just a problem on where to locate one. The only spot would be a small shelve built under the cabinet that is above the TV and then run the wires down the valance.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I opted for a surround sound system for my rig. If I were to do it over, I would go with this It has an iPod dock built in.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
First off Don,
Great work on the cabinet and install !!!

Now the soundbar...
The wife got tired of the 7.1 surround in the house even...
something about all "MY" speakers around "her" family room ?!?

So got a sound bar with wireless woofer and two satellite rear speakers that are almost invisible where I put them and it works great !!!

If you go with the same mfg as the tv, some can be mounted on the tv itself and the volume control works with it..
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Cambridge Soundworks has some good deals right now on a couple of products that may be just what you need.
The Ooontz XL intro price at $99 bucks is a steal.
The powered 2.1 system with sub might suit better than a soundbar and is <$200 ...Links:
The Cambridge OontZ XL - Top Reviewed Portable, Wireless, Bluetooth Speakers and Amazon best selling
Cambridge SoundWorks The Microworks II Speaker System for Computer, PC, Mac, iPod, iPhone : Speaker Systems

Beautiful job on the TV cabinet!!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Our new Thor Challenger came with a Sony sound bar mounted below the TV (also Sony) with everything on a power lift. The woofer is under the couch on the other side of the coach. Sound quality is great and plenty of volume: we can easily drown out the air conditioner. One down side, it came with its own remote which has two volume controls, one for the sound bar and one for the TV but only one Mute button which mutes the TV only! We eventually figured out to keep the TV sound muted, set the volume for the sound bar and use the sound bar power button as a mute.

I'd say if you have the opportunity, go for a sound bar or some kind of surround sound system. RV's tend to have a lot of background noise and the TV speakers alone don't cut it.
Bruce, you can go into the menu on the TV and turn off the internal speakers instead of having to mute them.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #11

Great responses with a lot of good suggestions. I am going through them now.

Here is another question when I was setting up the Vizio TV

VIZIO E-Series 42

I was prompted to connect to my home network through the Ethernet connection for streaming movies and such. The Vizio TV literature states "Built-in Wi-Fi comes standard on every VIZIO Smart TV to make finding your existing wireless network quick and effortless."

I don't have a network in the coach but will have my WiFi and mobile broadband internet laptop. So I need a router. Any suggestions for this purpose. Thanks so much.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

I have two soundbars in the MH, one above the main TV and one below for the basement setup. The inside one is a Samsung with a wireless subwoofer, got it at Costco and it works very well. The one I put below is a Vizio without subwoofer and it also sounds surprisingly well and I got that one for $50 on eBay! here's pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	samsung.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	44524   Click image for larger version

Name:	vizio.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	44525  

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
I have two soundbars in the MH, one above the main TV and one below for the basement setup. The inside one is a Samsung with a wireless subwoofer, got it at Costco and it works very well. The one I put below is a Vizio without subwoofer and it also sounds surprisingly well and I got that one for $50 on eBay! here's pics
That looks good. I am going to use a Vizio no sub woofer also mounted above the TV. I started playing around with it late today and will finish installing it tomorrow. Since the sound bar is powered and has a separate remote is there anyway to program the Dish remote to control the TV and sound bar so I can get back to one remote.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

That looks good. I am going to use a Vizio no sub woofer also mounted above the TV. I started playing around with it late today and will finish installing it tomorrow. Since the sound bar is powered and has a separate remote is there anyway to program the Dish remote to control the TV and sound bar so I can get back to one remote.

Thanks
Honestly can't say, I paired all of my gear on a Logitech Harmony remotea
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote