RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Tv wiring coax vs. Hdmi satellite/air?????

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO UPDATE OLDER MOTORHOMES THAT HAVE MILES OF COAX IN THEM? What is the latest and greatest way to bell n whistle up your rv with smart tvs? coax? new hdmi cables? how about the coax switch? what do i do with it? any wireless hdmi stuff?
wheres thu guru?

PATES PERF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

The BEST way is to buy a newer rv...

KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

A couple weeks ago I fished new HDMI, network and RG6 coax cables from the coach's front entertainment cabinet to the bedroom TV cabinet so I am all set for our entertainment needs. It cost about $40 in cables and a day of my time. Most of the distance was through the ceiling A/C duct. Easy job.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would go with HDMI cables to everything that will accept them. You may need to replace your surround sound receiver too!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATES PERF View Post
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO UPDATE OLDER MOTORHOMES THAT HAVE MILES OF COAX IN THEM?
What is your source ? Over the air (OTA) HDTV. just install a new HD TV and maybe a new antenna and you are done. Your new antenna probably will not have the proper connections for an old built in audio/video system so your will not be able to play DVD/BluRay, unless you buy a new player.

If your are going to "stream" from the internet (either from a campground WiFi signal, which are notoriously bad, or via a cell phone "hot spot") you will need a WiFi "player" like Fire TV, or Roku which would plug into one of the HDMI ports on the back of your new HD TV. Many new HD TVs have the "player" built in.

Most stream provider allow you to play through a PC so you can "hardwire" from your PC to the HD TV if the PC has a HDMI output. (Some PCs only have DVI which is the video half of HDMI so the sound would have to come from the PC.) I have never heard of a GOOD wireless HDMI, at least one the is "affordable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
The BEST way is to buy a newer rv...
In many ways, this IS the simplest solution !
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are devices that transmit HDMI over coax. I tried it and it worked but then I bought a new RV.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IO66S4E
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Coax is securely fastened at each end while HDMI is simply plugged in. I wonder how that will work long term in our rolling earthquake zones? Not that it matters, technology has moved on, coax is out and HDMI is here to stay (for the foreseeable future).

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"PATES PERF"......HDMI is NO longer the preferred method to run cables in a coach. The reason being, if the ends break, they're not repairable. New motor homes are using Cat6 cable which can be found on Amazon. You run it to where you need it, then a converter box is used to convert it to HDMI. The Cat6 looks like it's pretty easy to make as long as you need it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
Coax is securely fastened at each end while HDMI is simply plugged in. I wonder how that will work long term in our rolling earthquake zones? Not that it matters, technology has moved on, coax is out and HDMI is here to stay (for the foreseeable future).
You are talking "apple and oranges" ! What is the SOURCE of the signal ? I have not seen an OTA antenna that outputs HDMI !
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Before buying a smart TV, make sure it has a tuner for OTA signals. Newer TVs have a source/input button which replaces the need for the switching box. You do not need to replace your stereo system but you may need to buy a $8 optical adapter to RCA plugs as newer TVs often do not have RCA plugs for the audio out.

Agree the ends of HDMI cables can break...had to run a new one that was hard to hide.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
You are talking "apple and oranges" ! What is the SOURCE of the signal ? I have not seen an OTA antenna that outputs HDMI !
Entirely possible, severely tech challenged.

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have these in my coach, connecting a Comcast router in the over the dash cabinet to a smart Blu Ray player in the bedroom, using existing coax. I could connect to a switch a laptop or any other device having a network port.

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Broadban...s&sr=1-2-spell
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Before buying a smart TV, make sure it has a tuner for OTA signals. Newer TVs have a source/input button which replaces the need for the switching box.
I have yet to see a TV that does NOT have an OTA (ATSC) tuner. I am sure there are some, but I have not seen one.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #14

Smart TV than go wireless. I've got a smart TV and use internet connection to watch iptv ... $15.00 a month 1080i and 4k. Also use Amazon prime plus have the option of ota with old bat wing antenna. I installed a sound bar with wireless sub woofer. Really easy to do all of this with next to no wiring to run. Bonus is you can now get rid of the old big boat anchor satellite dome on the roof.

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, wiring