Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

tv with surround sound

Hi all I have a 2007 winnebago sightseer 29r. Has anyone ever got the tv to come through the surround sound and if so how did you get it hooked up. any help would be much appreciated. thank you in advance wd9bob
WD9BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Mine is a 2005, I don't know if they made a change/update since then. When I switched out my TV I found the surround sound was hardwired into the Sony TV. I e-mailed Winnebago and received a rather prompt call from a senior technician involved in TV instillation. In 2005 they opened the back of the Sony TV and connected wires directly to the speakers which then went to the black box "wart" in the connection to the surround sound. He could not think of a way to bypass this...I was unwilling to open the back of the new digital flat screen and solder to the speakers. If I really wanted to pursue surround sound I would have a auto-sound technician add a pre-amp and tie my speakers into a new system. Way beyond my ability at this time. I find the sound from the TV ok for my usage. If I want surround sound I would probably add the bluetooth Visio sound bar available for my unit.
End result, my radio has surround sound, my TV, no.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To get the audio of the TV to the surround sound amp you need to have audio output jacks on the TV that can be connected to the audio input jacks on the amp. These are RCA jacks and are usually red and white. I have noticed that some of the new TV's no longer have the audio jacks as they have been replaced with the HDMI. If you have the jacks then a simple cable between them is all that is needed. Then you will need to switch the amp to the input that you connected to.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Ok now when you say amp my speakers all go to the dvd player. I have cabals from it to the tv do i need to bring more cabals from the tv to the input on the dvd.The cabals that are on there now are for the dvd player and it has surround sound. But they go from audio out to the tv
WD9BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My connection information is valid if you are not switching everything through a coax cable switch box or the components use HDMI connections. If that is the case then there may be other issues involved.

Your surround sound amp/DVD player would normally come connected so the video output of the DVD player went to the video input of the TV so you can watch the DVD (usually a single yellow RCA jack). In this case the audio of the DVD would go out to the surround sound speakers and to watch a DVD you have to select the input from the DVD player on the TV.
What you are asking for (I think) is to watch TV (not a DVD) and have the sound from the TV come out through the surround sound speakers. In order to do that you need to get the TV's audio to the surround sound amp as I have explained previously. Once you have done that you would select the TV's audio input on the surround sound amp then turn down the volume of the TV and turn up the voulme of the surround sound.
I suggest that you review the manuals of the two components and there should be pictures of the connections and where the jacks are located (if they exist).
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of different ways.....

There are many ways to accomplish this. But they all depend upon the capabilities of both the TV and the surround sound 'amp'.

I use HDMI for watching DVDs and blue ray discs.

For OTA sound I use the optical digital connector to get the 5.1 audio to the surround sound amp.

For Satellite TV (not hi-def) I use plain old audio/video cables. Hi-def would be HDMI.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh so many different configurations to consider. If you have the older (2005/6) tv you most likely have the RCA audio output jacks on the back and as stated they would go into your audio input on the DVD. Just remember that you are outputting left and right stereo and to have true surround sound the amplifier needs to convert it to 5 or seven channel. Most RV's do not have that capability so what you will end up with is a similarity to surround sound, in my opinion. But it is still better than the tin type speakers of the TV (my hearing capabilities)

When i replaced my 2008 vintage television, it was the long back, 117 pound variety but it did have a digital tuner. The output was RCA Phono jacks. The new tv I replaced it with did not have RCA Phono jacks but did have HDMI Input. The DVD player did not have HDMI at all. The tv also had DIGITAL Audio fiber output. The DVD player was not capable of fiber input or output. You can see that there are many, many different configurations and the ones I mention only scratch the surface.

I was able to find a digital to analog convert. I plug the fiber optic cable into the convert, and the RCA output plugs of the convert into the DVD player. It suffices to give me some additional audio using the "surround sound" speakers.

Good luck, happy trails, and as a HAM I know you can work it out.

73's KE5QG
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote