Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Twas the night before leaving...

Kind of a naive question here from a new MH owner, but just checking...

New MH is stored in a lot with no power but batteries should be in a decent state of charge from the generator about an hour a week.

The Goal: depart for a trip with a cold fridge.

The plan: set the fridge on propane the night before and turn it on to start cooling down. I understand that the propane will do the heavy lifting (cooling) but the coach batteries will be needed intermittently to ignite the compressor, whatever. There will be no external power to the MH. Fridge will run for less than 24 hours before we hit the road.

My Paranoia: I will run the batteries down by doing this.

My Reality Check: this is exactly what you do when boondocking. No problem.

Just looking for some reassurance that my reasoning is sound and I am not overlooking anything. Thanks for any suggestions.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Hi Rich and welcome (like i have been here awhile). I have been doing what your talking about for years with no problems ever. My coach uses the ignitor to start the fridge and once the propane fires and i can hear the pilot on its good to go. Your batteries shouldn't even know it happened so to speak. The fridge will run for a looooong time on very little propane.

Go for it!
gene409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Rich, gene is correct. Only a tiny amount of battery drain to run the fridge on propane.

Have a great trip!

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks.

Got this short trip for July 4, than a 10-dayer later in July to the Smokeys and we're getting our routine down better and better with each outing.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a decent set of batteries.. You will be good to go

The fridge, running on propane, should draw less than one amp per hour. if you have a group 24 battery, at one amp per hour it would last over 24 hours. if you have a pair of U-2200's (or T-105's or other golf car designation) you have over 100 hours at 1 amp draw.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We do the same thing before we head out on a trip except we start the frig 2 nights before leaving. I like the freezer to be making ice before we leave. It has no apparent impact on our battery charge.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Good to hear we are on the right track. We'll turn her on Wednesday eve for a Thurs mid-afternoon departure. I installed my TST sensors already, so we are good to go.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

Rich, let me know how the TST system works out for you. That's about the only semi-big ticket aftermarket purchase left on my wish list. You aren't towing are you?

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Not towing yet. It's inevitable once we have more time to tour - setting up a rental car at some of these out-of-the-way destinations is a nuisance. My commute is a Prius which I can't tow 4 down, and I don't feel like trading it in.

Are you towing?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #10

Yep. I already owned a "bankruptcy special", a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx - my commuter car before retiring. By chance it happens to be towable 4-down and has worked out great.

Well, there was the one time I took off with it still in park, but I didn't go far...

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. I already owned a "bankruptcy special", a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx - my commuter car before retiring. By chance it happens to be towable 4-down and has worked out great.

Well, there was the one time I took off with it still in park, but I didn't go far...
Yeah, I'd get a junker if it weren't for the cost of liability insurance here in paradise. Of course, with 4 vehicles in this 2-person household I might qualify for the fleet discount.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rich, have you thought about a small solar pannel. I have one that pluggs into the cig lighter, and with the minimal useage from the fridge it should keep everything charged. Mine cost $40. at the RV parts store, and I believe it was an excellent investment. K-man
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
My Itasca came with a single small solar panel. I question whether it does anything other than slow the battery drainage a tiny bit but I guess it won't hurt.

Unfortunately in this case, most of the needed fridge cooling period will be overnight, so solar may not add too much.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Note: Frig runs off house batteries and if you plug a solar panel into cigarette lighter, it charges the chassis battery, so won't do any good when running the frig.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote