Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

Two airs running off 1 generator.

My coach has front and rear air conditioners. A couple summers ago I was running both air units in the hot afternoon in the parking lot in Arizona. When I returned to the coach the generator was shut down, like maybe it shut off as a protection from overheating. It is a diesel generac 7500 (50amp), it has happened twice so far so now I only keep one unit running when we are using the generator. Is this normal, or did this only happen because of the excessive outside heat, if so, then would it make sense that while driving we would be able to run the both units at once.

Also, our dash air is not charged, I always just run the roof air if it gets too hot, is this common with everyone, or do people run their dash air more?
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #2

It wouldn't stop because of AC load 7500 should run your whole coach.
You can definitely run both.

My gen is 5500 and can run both AC 15,000 btu and 13,500

Did the coach run low on fuel ? gen will shut down if gets to 1/4 tank so you don't run all fuel out enabling you to get to fuel station.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
My coach has front and rear air conditioners. A couple summers ago I was running both air units in the hot afternoon in the parking lot in Arizona. When I returned to the coach the generator was shut down, like maybe it shut off as a protection from overheating. It is a diesel generac 7500 (50amp), it has happened twice so far so now I only keep one unit running when we are using the generator. Is this normal, or did this only happen because of the excessive outside heat, if so, then would it make sense that while driving we would be able to run the both units at once.

Also, our dash air is not charged, I always just run the roof air if it gets too hot, is this common with everyone, or do people run their dash air more?
You could have a little air in your gen set cooling system. Only takes a little for it to shut down the unit due to overheat because the coolant won't circulate. You need to remove the filler cap cover and extend the flex neck as high as you can get it. Revove the pressure cap and check the coolant. It should be brim full w/coolant. Add if its not and check it again after it has ran for a while. Contine this process until it remains brim full.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

When an Onan 7500 shuts down, it stores a fault code to say why. Display the code to learn more. See your owner manual for info.

I like to run dash air plus the house a/c while driving. Like the direct air from the dash vents, but it doesn't cool much beyond the seats.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

The OP said he has a Generac.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Thanks guys, first, yes I could see where the direct blast of air from the dash could be a big benefit, especially where we travel the front stays hot compared to the rest of the coach.

The gen does run everything just fine, but was concerned that the load with two airs running makes the gen run hotter, adding the additional heat from the parking lot in Arizona would put too much pressure on the gen to cool itself.

Vapor3000, I am going to work on the cooling system, I don't think the fluid is topped off, I do see a pretty worn rubber elbow that looks to be about 30 years old. I think my initial shutting down issues was from a failing water pump, which I recently replaced.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator