Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Two Questions

I bought a 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 33R last month.

My first question is, for some reason the fuse that runs lights in the back bedroom keeps blowing. I put a new one in and it almost instantly blows. I've tried different amp fuses and still same results. Any suggestions?

Second question, While I'm plugged in should I leave my battery connect switches on or off? Also, does being plugged in keep a charge on the batteries?

Thanks -Zach

A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
You should only use the fuse that is spec'd for the spot you plugging it into. The fuses are popping because there is another problem somewhere else in the coach. Some sort of short or another electrical problem.

You should leave your batteries connected when plugged into shore power or when running the generator. This should keep them charged as well. When you go to store your coach hit the battery disconnects. There are many devices on a coach that create enough draw to drain the batteries.

Troy Rice 2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344
2013 GMC Denali 3/4 ton Diesel Toad
Great Wife, two beautiful kids, and two funny pups
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
To find out if this a light fixture problem. Start by turning off all lights in the bedroom. replace the fuse and turn on the lights one at a time. When you get to the problem light it will blow the fuse when you turn it on. many times it is a problem with the wrong bulb. Some light fixtures use a double base bulb. If you use a single base it will short out the fixture.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club

If you have a slides out in the bed room. Check for wirers cut around the an under the bed .An switchs
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
mine did the same thing,it was a bad light fixture.the circuit board was shorted out.
Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
You didn't mention any specs on your rig. Brand, age, etc.?

Fuse blowing: Check for a shorted bulb. Sometimes when a bulb goes bad, part of the filament falls down and shorts out.

Shore Power: Will charge the house batteries in nearly all class A rigs. But only newer, and some special older units will charge the chassis battery at the same time. Many owners of older rigs will add a supplementary charging device to keep the chassis battery charge while parked for more then 3 days. Simple way to tell. Plug into shore power...measure the voltage across the chassis battery. If over 13V, you have a charging system. Many RVs have an optional solar panel on the roof to charge the chassis battery. It's really too small to be much help.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Good tips, I will check the lights in the back bedroom one at a time and go from there.

This class A has the 6.8L V10, does anyone know exactly where the vacuum line on the motor is?
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it happned to me one of the bayonet type light sockets had failed.

These sockets have several things (Well 3) inside them

An insulating washer
A spring
And the center contact

When the washer melts or otherwise fails, as it will. a short happens.

NOTE: I now have in stock.. 2 single contact repair kits. They are hard to find.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leave the batetry disconnect switch on, i.e. batteries connected to the 12v system, so that they charge and are available for use as needed. There is no advantage to having the disconnect off except when storing the coach for long periods when NOT plugged to shore power.

Like all Fleetwood coaches, your Bounder charges both the chassis and house batteries from shore power.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Like all Fleetwood coaches, your Bounder charges both the chassis and house batteries from shore power.
Not true of ALL Fleetwood Bounders, mine doesn't. Has to have the device to do that. And it's optional on some rigs.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Zach you have committed a CARDINAL SIN, never never and Never replace a fuse with one of a higher rating !!

The fuse is there to protect the wiring in the circuit and the circuit components. If you replace it with a larger fuse you run the risk of melting the insulation from the wiring and this will cause you to empty your wallet to rewire the circuit at worse, or it could burn down the coach!! Don't do it.

Remove each of the lights the fuse protects and examine the back of each. You will probably find one or more with an obvious problem. Be careful when removing the trim items around the lights as you will want to reinstall them, many just snap into an opening.

Now the vacuum location. Remove the dog house cover, on my old Mirada with a v-10 the vacuum hose was on top of the engine and was connected to the intake manifold. The hose was in very bad shape and I replaced it and cured a lot of problems with dash air and vents. Follow it down and you may find a cannister down in the passenger side front wheel well. Check all the hoses and connections most of mine were bad and I replaced them.

The real bugger was a little hose that ran behind the TV, (it was in the lower dash) it had a leak and I had to splice it to repair a section that had been under the TV and had worn a hole in it.

Hope this helps
Happy Trails

MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote