Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #15

Great video! Thanks for the link!

And thanks to everyone who posted a reply! Very helpful!

Dan Leffel
danlhsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Three years later and the Texas DMV is still confused about the requirements... it took me explaining for 20 minutes and getting a supervisor or two in the mega center to find out what test to give me !

Why don't they call it an RV endorsement ?!? I know, it can cover other large vehicles, but obviously they are still confused as am I

Passed the written test (no air brake test taken) and now going for my driving test...

Since the Monaco has warning claxons and PSI gauges and only the emergency brake... it will be fun to see what they require me to do !

I expect to fail the air brake test if they force me to take one as the videos I've found are no relevant to a motorhome.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Air brake system is exactly the same in a RV that is in A Truck or Bus.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #18

If you ever have insomnia just sit down and try reading the Transportation code or the CCP (Code Of Criminal Procedure). I've had to and it Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JohnnyBoyToo,

Look at the CDL manual and the procedure for testing the air brake system. It is exactly what they will use for a non-CDL license if the inspector is so inspired. If they do decide on the air brake test it is the very first thing given. It is a pass/fail and if the driver does not pass it the rest of the driving test is not given.

Here is the CDL Driver's Manual
The section on air brake test is 5.3.3 - Step 7 Final Air Brake Check on page 5-6
Also look at the paragraph for "Test Air Leakage Rate." (Page 5-7)
There are other good knowledge sections in the manual.

I drove 5 ton military vehicles (Big with air brakes.) while in the service but my first civilian Class B license was about 1986 and I had to show the driver license manual to the inspectors and they had to get their supervisor. isn't it great that all these years later it is still the same? Wow. The problem back then was that the trailer I was pulling was 14,000 pounds and the requirements at the time indicated that if the trailer was over 10,000 pounds a class B was required even though I was pulling it with a less than 26,000 pound vehicle. Laws change. One year later I got my Class A CDL.

I converted it to a Class A (non-CDL) when I was not driving commercially anymore.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Took B endorsement in Sherman Tx. They did test us on air brake usage and warnings. Im glad they did. I understand them better and periodically do the tests myself.
If your not tested, do you understand the correct usage and warnings?
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I too, was given a complete run-around in terms of what tests need to be taken. I escalated it as far as I was allowed to take it, hoping to get something "in writing" on what needs to be taken for Class-A and Class-B non-commercial in TX.

I was never provided any such thing. I think I took 3 different written tests with different offices saying that they were unnecessary.

The end result is this: Local offices can set their own policies and most are COMPLETELY unfamiliar with non-CDL Class-A / Class-B. Your best bets are:

1) Speak to a supervisor at the local office and confirm what they're going to want you to know.

2) Go to a known office (there is an office in DFW well known for these RV tests) - and take the test there.

Also note, having a Class-A non-CDL apparently invalidates your ability to renew your DL online... So there is that... I assume Class-B is the same.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I renewed my Texas Class A non-CDL online in 2015.

Good now until 2021.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #23

I just got my Class B Texas endorsement a few weeks ago in Waco. The Waco office new exactly what was required for a big motorhome. I studied Chapter 14 of the CDL manual, took the 20 question test, and then the next week got an appointment at the Waco CDL hub. There was no written test on air brakes. The examiner took me through the steps to do an air brake check in the motorhome, they just want to be sure they work and are safe before they get on the road. I had to back up, parallel park, and then drive around about 20 minutes through city traffic and out on the highway. I did get sent home on the first driving test because I did not have a front license plate, having it on the dash was not sufficient. They also did not ask how I got there.
centexcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I renewed my Texas Class A non-CDL online in 2015. Good now until 2021.
Wow. I don't know what they heck DPS is talking about then. I got a Class-A in 2015, they require renewal in person this year - when asking why, they said due to that "Class-A".
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

2) Go to a known office (there is an office in DFW well known for these RV tests) - and take the test there.
What is the known office in DFW?
dallasmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is very possible I am mistaken (not wrong) as the on-line services states Class C & M only on-line. Oh well - my bad but next time it will not matter because I HAVE to appear in person - age limit.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I took the written test in Temple this morning. It took about 15 minutes to process my application and ten minutes to take the 20 question test. There was no written test over air brakes. That was after a 3 hour wait for my turn! They know their business, but have more customers than they can service with the people they have on staff.

Now, I have to schedule my driving test in Waco.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It is very possible I am mistaken (not wrong) as the on-line services states Class C & M only on-line. Oh well - my bad but next time it will not matter because I HAVE to appear in person - age limit.
That's what is stated online.... And 2 people at DPS told me that Class-A cannot online renew. But I have less than 10% faith in anything they say about non-CDL class A or B.

Tags
brakes