Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

TX Class B and Air Brakes

Hello!

At the end of the month I take delivery of my new Ventana LE 34'. I want to do everything by the book, so I am planning to get my non-commercial (exempt) class B drivers license. I have already taken the general computer test of 20 questions and passed that. However, I am getting mixed messages on what to do about the computer test on air brakes, which my Ventana has.

I talked with the people in Austin and they said I also needed to take the air brakes computer test. So I went back to my local DMV office in McKinney, TX where I took my first computer test and they said I do not need to take the air brake computer test even though my RV has them. So I called Austin back, and they again said I do need to take the air brake computer test. However, after the Austin folks called the local Austin DMV testing location and asking them what they did, they called me back and said I did NOT need to take the air brake computer test.
Now the guys in Austin are "running it up the chain of command" to see what the final ruling should be!

I think I have read all the posts on here about the TX Class B for RV's, but I don't remember this being addressed.

For those of you who already have your non-commercial (exempt) class B license in Texas, and your rig has air brakes, what was your experience? Did you have to take the computer test about air brakes?

Thanks!
Dan Leffel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Don't you just love the bureaucrats? Talk about the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing---these guys don't even know that there is another hand. I feel for you. You'll probably be on your third coach before you get a decision, and even then you won't be able to understand it. And it WON'T be in writing, so you can hold someone responsible.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have my class B non cdl
the air brakes portion of the road test is NOT required
but its good to know how to do it so you can check your system.

my road test was about 20 minutes
one parallel parking and few right turns
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

I've just been through all of this. The only place that seems to know the correct answers is the commercial drivers testing center in Austin. I got so many different answers that I finally drove their from Houston to talk face to face. The correct answer is that for the "Exempt Class B" for driving private motorhomes the airbrake endorsement is not required. Also, I took my driving test while there. It was very simple left out of parking lot, tight right turn on to airport, two left lane changes, left onto access rd couple of lane changes, left at second light, back down access rd., right on to airport, left on to the street the office is on, right in to Parking lot; then inside for pictures.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
According to the NEW Texas Drivers License Handbook, the restrictions codes are: (for air brakes)

"L Vehicle without air brakes (applies to vehicles requiring CDL)"

Note the part that states "(applies to vehicles requiring CDL)"

Although the NEW handbook as been re-written it is still confusing on the word "Exempt."

However, Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 521,

and Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 522, are the Texas Laws.

For an RV that is not commercial, and by not commercial I mean does not have NASCAR, SPAM, (for Madam's sake), WRENCH PRO, TOOL-R-US, etc., stamped all over the side of the MH, the only thing needed is a license in accordance with Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 521.

Forget everything else. Just print out Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 521 and take it with you if there may be doubt.

You do not need an air brake test. (unless your motorhome is commercial.)

Isn't this topic great?

That's my story until some lawyer comes along!!! Hee hee!

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agreed with all above. During the road test the dps tester had me do the air brake test after the safety light test. She told me what to do for each step so it was part of the vehicle test, not the driver.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
HHg

I got my Class B license about 5-6 months ago. Took the test at the Austin testing center. I was not required to take the "air brake" portion of the test. Does this unit weight more than 26,001 pounds ?? If not, the Class B license is not required.

Hhg
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #8

Thanks

Many thanks to those of you who responded! My unit has a GVWR of 31,000, but its unloaded weight from the factory is 25,100. But fully loaded it probably is over the 26,000 limit. I would rather be safe than sorry, so I will get the exempt Class B.
Dan
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
The 26,001 lb is weight rating, GVWR. Not actual weight. It is also why many motorhomes are rated at GVWR or GCWR of 26,000. Keeps them out of that category.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Texas Drivers License Handbook
CLASS A
"A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs."

CLASS B
"A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 lbs. or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs."

It is the "weight rating" or "combined weight rating" that determines the type of license required as indicated, with provisions, in the above two quotes.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Regardless of the requirement, I found this video extremely educational on better understanding of my air brakes and how they should perform. It taught me a few finer points. While some of the items refer to tractor trailer set ups, it can be easily translated into MH application.

Class A CDL Air Brake Test Texas TX - YouTube
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Small point but: It isn't a class B license, It's a class B endorsement to your present license just like "M" is for motorcycles on a license...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Get the Air Brake endorsement anyway. it wont hurt and if thay change the ruls later you are ahead of them.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Regardless of the requirement, I found this video extremely educational on better understanding of my air brakes and how they should perform. It taught me a few finer points. While some of the items refer to tractor trailer set ups, it can be easily translated into MH application.

Good video, especially for a CDL license. However as you stated it gives us all a better understanding of our system. If one were to study the CDL portion of the testing manual on air brake systems they would be a lot further ahead in understanding their systems and might make for a better driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Small point but: It isn't a class B license, It's a class B endorsement to your present license just like "M" is for motorcycles on a license...
From the Texas Driver License Manual

"Classified Driver Licenses
Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt or not required to obtain a commercial driver license (CDL)."

Note above: Classes of drivers licenses.

There are 46 "restrictions" and 7 "endorsement" codes." Air brakes are categorized under the restrictions set of rules. For air brakes it is restriction "L" and is identified as this: "Vehicle without air brakes (applies to vehicles requiring CDL)." So the only time you would have that restriction is when you have a vehicle that requires a CDL and you have not passed the air brake test. It does not apply to the standard Class A or B license.

Endorsement: These are the endorsement in the Texas Code:

H - Authorizes the transportation of hazardous materials
N - Authorizes the operation of a vehicle with a tank
P - Authorizes the operation of a vehicle transporting passengers
S - Authorizes the operation of a school bus
T - Authorizes towing two (double) or three (triple) trailers over a specified weight
X - Authorizes the operation of a combination of endorsements H and N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Get the Air Brake endorsement anyway. it wont hurt and if thay change the ruls later you are ahead of them.
Knowledge is great - know your system.

Still, not a requirement for obtaining a Class A, B, or C driver's license.

Happy trails.

Tags
brakes