Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
For Texas Class B Non-CDL you are supposed to submit a CDL-2 Exemption Certification For Class A or B non-CDL Supplement specifying why you need the license to be non-CDL. Section 4 is RV.

TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
For Texas Class B Non-CDL you are supposed to submit a CDL-2 Exemption Certification For Class A or B non-CDL Supplement specifying why you need the license to be non-CDL. Section 4 is RV.
I was not required to do that (I did have the form filled out and in my pocket, where it stayed). I did have to show current registration & insurance papers.

As Wayne stated in the previous post, it ain't an Exempt license. And there isn't any air brake endorsement. I believe that, if you take the test in a vehicle without air brakes, the license will have the restriction "No Air Brakes".

gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #17

I took mine in Alpine. Took the written and driving test the same day. Very nice lady did all the testing. No parallel parking requirement.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If you read the Form CDL-2 you will see in the first sentence that it is a form that is required if you are driving a commercial vehicle for personal use. There are probably very few of us that register a MH to a company, or have a MH with a company logo on the side, but if that were the case then driving a commercial vehicle for personal use would require the Form CDL-2.

Here is a quote from the first sentence on the CDL-2 Form.

"I will operate a commercial motor vehicle that exceeds 26,000 lbs GVWR and requires a Class A or B license that is exempted by the Texas Commercial Driver License Act."

The form goes on to give those vehicles that may require a Form CDL-2.

As you can see you have to be operating a commercial motor vehicle that exceeds 26,000 lbs to be required to fill out Form CDL-2.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I was not required to do that (I did have the form filled out and in my pocket, where it stayed). I did have to show current registration & insurance papers.

As Wayne stated in the previous post, it ain't an Exempt license. And there isn't any air brake endorsement. I believe that, if you take the test in a vehicle without air brakes, the license will have the restriction "No Air Brakes".
No it won't.

Barb
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
The only time you really need to use the CDL exemption form is when you are applying for renewal by mail from out of state and then you fill in the part where you declare that you have an RV so you are exempt from the CDL requirements (question #4) and have it notorized. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...orms/CDL-2.pdf

When you do the test in person, it is included in the paperwork that you sign at the DPS office.

One of my pet peeves is people who don't have these licenses, or haven't done the renewal by mail, pontificate about them!

Barb
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I just accidentally took my written test. Accidentally in that they don't answer the phone so I went to the office to have so,e questions answered, next thing you know I was taking the test.

I had my CDL-2 filled out with me, they wanted it.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I had my CDL-2 filled out with me, they wanted it.
My wife and I took the test the same day, one behind the other. We both had the CDL-2 form filled out. Now the same DPS office...the clerk wanted mine and a different clerk did not want hers. Nothing like consistency.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is one thing certain about the TX DMV. It is not consistent. Every examiner has their own set way of giving a road test. Some require many things that have been talked about, backing, parallel, Turns, 300 yard signal, etc., and other testers may not require the same things. It's unfortunate, but that is the way it is. As for the CDL-2 it is not required unless your rig is a commercial vehicle driven for personal use, AND it weighs over 26001 pounds. I have never had to fill out a CDL-2 for original licenses or renewal.

I really wonder some time as to what type of training the testers get since there is such an inconsistency in testing sites.

Back in the '80's I did have to have a discussion with two inspectors and their supervisor when I wanted a Class B when I had a 1 ton truck pulling a 16000 pound trailer. Back then that is what you needed. They didn't seem to think I need that class license and the Class C was adequate. Armed with "their" manual I showed them page and verse of the requirements and after several minutes of debate they agreed that I needed at least a Class B. There have been several discussion that people have stated that they were told they did not need a different class license. Some even called it a "special" license. Then people read Section 522 of the Texas Code and all it states is CDL and then there is that little section that states a CDL is not needed for a Recreational Vehicle. What they fail to do is read Section 521 of the Texas Code.

Now, I challenge you to tell me exactly where in the Texas Driver's License Manual (DL-7) where it states ANYTHING about a Form CDL-2.

Then look in the Texas Commercial Driver's License Manual and you will see references to the CDL-2.

So I rest my opinion. For a Texas Drivers License, Class A, B, or C a CDL=2 is not required. It is pretty straight forward when one reads the entire manual(s).
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, but you have to submit the papers to keep the clerk happy. I do wish the state would train all of the clerks and examiners the same.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ken,
I disagree with having to keep the clerk happy. Armed with the information ask them the same question to show you where in the driver's license manual it states that a CDL-2 is needed. If you are not applying for a CDL they will not find it in the regular Class A, B, C, license manual. Also point out on the CDL-2 the specific sentence that states you need the CDL-2 for a commercial vehicle in excess of 26,001 pounds. You are not in that category with a private RV.

Just sayin' I'd argue. And if they didn't agree I'd take it all the way to the top in Austin. They either need to get the book right, or stop pestering people with inadequate knowledge..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It took three trips to the DPS office in Houston to get to this point and taking the right test. They called Austin to see that we were not testing for a CDL. I was glad to just get to take the right test at that point. My wife and I did not miss any questions.

Ken