Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

TX Newb - DL before purchase?

My wife & I are in our early 50's but still have 2 pre-teen girls at home (plus the dog). We're tired of other forms of camping but love travel, road trips & exploring with our kids before they're on their own. We're seriously considering a MH purchase. When the kids are gone, we'll likely full-time it for a couple years before slowing down some somewhere in the mountains.

Because of our love of the mountains, desire to tow a Jeep (and carry a Gold Wing on a carrier), and the wife's insistence on a King sized bed, a DP is the only thing I'm considering. After all the reading I'm doing, a 42' tag is looking pretty nice. But I digress....

I've owned a Lance Cabover before (*way* too small), rented a Class C years ago (was ok, but before kids), rented a 30' TT before, etc. I'm not 100.000% convinced we'll like the DP over the current method of travel (road trip + rent a cabin at the destination, then explore using the Jeep). I want to evaluate it for myself before taking a six-figure plunge.

To avoid a costly mistake, I want to rent a DP for 2 weeks at a time a few different times as we really evaluate our needs & wants, both for the DP in general but also for features in the specific model. I've found a couple in the area that are available, and while they're not the model we'd buy, they're in the ballpark & should help us evaluate if this is something we want to do.

But here's the rub: I know from reading this forum the TX Licensing requirements for the Class B or Class A depending on rig. I also see everyone takes the test in their own rig. So how do I go about getting a Class B before I rent one?

Catch-22 or is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
ElJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a suggestion. When you are ready to full-time or full-part time consider a SD residency. I am with Your Best Address and I like them very much. Others have their preferences. We had to stay overnight in a campground and present the receipt to the licensing folks. We are now residence of SD and must visit every now and then. Our ministry makes that option easy because we have camps to support in SD. I think there are other states that this type of requirement is available. No income tax is SD but the sales tax and annual registration fees can be substantial in relative terms. Look into this option. You may find a good plan for your needs.

As far as a DP is concerned? Only way to fly. Newmar and Winnebago have some nice, livable floor plans. I like to buy used to avoid the new owner punch list of things to correct.

Happy trails to you.

Rick Y
Old 05-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The solution I used to get my Class B DL before I got our MH was to go to a truck driving school and get a CDL B. When it came up for renewal I went to the DPS and had it downgraded to a Class B (non-CDL).

My original intent was to get a non-CDL license, but the examiner said that since I was taking the test in a commercial vehicle (the school's truck), I had to get the CDL.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

I think you are on the right track. Your needs sound like a DP tag is in order, especially if you want to drag your Jeep AND carry the Gold Wing. Good luck!
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eljefe, I dont have a Class B and I have traveled everywhere with our MH. I really don't give a hoot about having a Class B either. Just go rent yourself a MH and have fun. Don't believe all the hype that some create about having a Class B, none of those guys have ever been to court, they are all just speculating.

IF you want, I can hook you up with a buddy of mine who rents MH's here in Drip, he does not give two shakes if you have a Class B or not.

Also, if you want, you are welcome to come bye the my house in Drip, check my rig out, ask questions, and overall get a feel for the whole experience. Its an awesome experience taking your kids on trips. Both our kids teachers comment all the time on how knowledgable our kids are as a result of the trips we have taken them on. We spent a week in DC, kids just cruise though history/government class as a result.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Some people care if they're legal, others don't. You make a choice and live with the results.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awesome that the pre-teens like to go camping with you. Once ours turned into teens then doing things with their parents wasn't so cool so that cut our trips back drastically. Now that our teens are knocking at the door of graduating from high school and ready to do their own thing, the wife and I are gearing up for a lot more camping trips.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

My first rig was a gasser and the kids loved the freedom to drive to different parts of the country. With that said there what they did for the summer reports were epic and received A+ grades. While on a epic cross country trip I brought a diesel pusher because of the need for a slide and better AC plus a better ride. With that said. The kids were the first to be in the rv when we were going on a trip and the last to leave the RV when we got home. In my daughters words "when are we leaving for another trip". This was even when they were teenagers. My daughter just visited with me today and she says "Memorial day is coming and where are we going" :-). These memories are proof of the wonderful times my kids had seeing the country.
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jerichorick, nothing personal, but it'll be a cold day in....before I give up my Texas residency. When we go full time, I may consider something like that, but i want a solution in the meantime. (At least 7 years)

FlyingDiver - that's an idea. I Googled it though, & saw a 15 day class? Ugh. That's a pretty steep ticket to entry.

Hawgguy - thanks for the confirmation. I've done a ton of reading before getting to this point. Still have lots to learn though.

DegoRed - you're my hero! I live off FM967 about 7 miles toward Buda from FM1826/ the Salt Lick. I haven't found a rental dealer locally yet, but most importantly I'd love the chance to pick your brain about MH'ing with kids, places you go and....do you tow that JK?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, forgot that part, yes we tow our JK, we are 67 ft +\-, have never left home without it behind us. I live off 290 by Drip middle school, your welcome to come over anytime.

My buddy who rents MH's is on 290 between Circle Drive & Fitzhugh. He has 4 or 5 that he rents, all class A. Several of our friends rent them all the time to goto Grand Canyon, Destin, Padre, etc.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

PM Sent!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jerichorick, nothing personal, but it'll be a cold day in....before I give up my Texas residency. When we go full time, I may consider something like that, but i want a solution in the meantime. (At least 7 years)

FlyingDiver - that's an idea. I Googled it though, & saw a 15 day class? Ugh. That's a pretty steep ticket to entry.

Hawgguy - thanks for the confirmation. I've done a ton of reading before getting to this point. Still have lots to learn though.

DegoRed - you're my hero! I live off FM967 about 7 miles toward Buda from FM1826/ the Salt Lick. I haven't found a rental dealer locally yet, but most importantly I'd love the chance to pick your brain about MH'ing with kids, places you go and....do you tow that JK?
Spokn' like a true Texan! I hale out of a state that would require my first born to keep my rig on the road. I am full-timing and need to keep the bucks going to those who deserve it and not just some fat state budget. SD works for me.

Here is a website with some great info: RV Driver's License Requirements

I see the TX has set RV's over 26,000 pounds in a new class of drivers license. If your RV is under that requirement you don't need the special license.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
Mine took three days total, as I recall. Computer based study the first day, and a trip to the DPS for the written on the second. Then road work that afternoon, then the actual driving test on the third. I think. It was six years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was three or max four days.

I don't think the school I used is still in operation. At least, I can't find a web listing for them. Looking at the listings I can find, I think the requirements might have changed since I did it. I can't find anyone offering a class like I took. Mine was JUST the driving test. Nothing for trip planning or anything like that. And there seems to be a requirement to have the CDL medical in order to take the class, which I didn't have. I'm not sure what I did would work anymore. :(
Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Spokn' like a true Texan! I hale out of a state that would require my first born to keep my rig on the road. I am full-timing and need to keep the bucks going to those who deserve it and not just some fat state budget. SD works for me.

Here is a website with some great info: RV Driver's License Requirements

I see the TX has set RV's over 26,000 pounds in a new class of drivers license. If your RV is under that requirement you don't need the special license.
Yeah, I may be from that same state - but fought long & hard to get out & now I'm here - now I'm naturalized & have the 'green card'. Once I go FT, it may be different, but that's a ways to way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Mine took three days total, as I recall. Computer based study the first day, and a trip to the DPS for the written on the second. Then road work that afternoon, then the actual driving test on the third. I think. It was six years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was three or max four days.

I don't think the school I used is still in operation. At least, I can't find a web listing for them. Looking at the listings I can find, I think the requirements might have changed since I did it. I can't find anyone offering a class like I took. Mine was JUST the driving test. Nothing for trip planning or anything like that. And there seems to be a requirement to have the CDL medical in order to take the class, which I didn't have. I'm not sure what I did would work anymore. :(
Yeah, everything looks long & expensive now. I see there's an "RV Driving School" with a location in Austin. I'm going to reach out to them & see if they have an option that would help me.

I'm ex-military & kind of anal about stuff. If the law says I have to have the license, I'd never sleep driving it without the license. And everything I'm looking at is 15,000 - 20,000 lbs over the TX limit for the license.

Texas is usually a very liberty & freedom happy state. I'm kind of surprised it's one of the ones with the different license requirements. I wonder if it's a knee-jerk reaction to the "NAFTA Highway" running through here. Lots of scare stories early on about the dangerous big rigs coming through here.

Tags
purchase