Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

TX State Inspection

Class A gas motorhome is due for its state inspection. Can anyone recommend somewhere near Katy TX (West side of Houston) that can do it?

I have found a couple places online whose web sites say they can do it but knowing where they are I question whether I can even get in and / or out with a 40ft motorhome

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thanks
Dave

usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Camping world?

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Camping World & Holiday World on I-10 between Katy & Brookshire display the State inspection sign. I got mine done at Holiday World but mine is diesel so did not have to hook up for emissions test.
srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Locate a full service RV dealer in your area and ask if the will do it. I used Crestview RV in my area.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

i take mine to the same place that does my truck and cars. its a valvoline oil change place. nothing special about a motorhome.
Sapd1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Concur with the "nothing special" reply. If you can get it in their lot they can inspect it..
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapd1098 View Post
i take mine to the same place that does my truck and cars. its a valvoline oil change place. nothing special about a motorhome.
me to
i go to my local ford dealer, his tech walks out and checks the noise makers and lights and eyeballs the tires.....

i pay the fee and i place a new decal on the window

easy peazy
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I go the same place that I take my cars.... They do the same inspection as they do on my cars and I'm back on the road..... Same price also.....
Old 05-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #9

Thanks all for the inputs.....I tried to get it done at Holiday World while I had the RV in for some warranty work, interestingly was told they couldn't do it as they cannot do emissions testing (required since it is a gas rig)

I will never go to Camping World again after having warranty work on a travel trailer I bought from them a few years back. Customer Service experience and quality of workmanship was atrocious, so needless to say I didn't try there

Ended up having it done at a Kwik Kar on Hwy 99 / Bay Hill Boulevard in Katy. Super nice and friendly staff and was in and out in 20 minutes.

Hit the road tomorrow for 18 days through Utah, Wyoming (hope it stops snowing!) and down through the central plains.....whoop
usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapd1098 View Post
"Nothing special" except the length. Obviously, the majority of inspection stations aren't designed to accommodate long vehicles, which makes it difficult to impossible to get in and out of them in a long RV. For that matter, I even have difficulty getting my Ford F-350 Super Duty pickup in and out of my Ford Dealer. It's a big deal, pun intended.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

It's not the length that is the problem (other than getting into the location), but the width. Some locations cannot inspect vehicles as wide a motorhome. I think it is because of the width (or lack thereof) of their bays. I used to take the coach to a place close to the house, but two years ago they said they can no longer do it. I now go to a Boerne quicklube.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
It's not the length that is the problem (other than getting into the location), but the width.
With the 40' Class A we owned, length was always the primary issue. I just couldn't get it into the drives and parking areas at most inspection stations, which were designed with cars in mind. At the ones I ended up using, width never presented a problem, since they did the inspections outside.

I don't mind admitting the relief I sense with our 40' fiver on a consignment lot for sale. Texas is forcing trailer inspections now, and a combined length of 65' tow vehicle/trailer just ain't happening at most inspection stations near here - be a nightmare getting in and out.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #13

I think Texas implemented a new inspection policy this year. You get the inspection (pass or fail since they are now testing emissions (I believe) then you take this form to your county whatever to pay for your county taxes on the vehicle. I'm waiting a few more weeks for my two cars to be inspected and see how that goes. And then the Class A goes in. I know it sounds "cornfusing". So "cornfused".
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
How it works is the same the data is sent to Austin and when you renew your tags you must have a currant inspection on file but you have a 3 month grace period. If they do not get any data on inspection they will pull your tags. I renew mine online and no issues. If your inspection goes out before your tags right now wait till the tags is up for renewal so it is all done at once. We're I get my stuff inspected that's what the tech told me and showed me.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum