Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Typical Class A gas RV height

I am meeting with a home builder and architect this coming Tuesday to design a new home that will be able to accommodate my RV, 2 classic cars and my daily driver under one roof (finally!)

My current 2005 Fleetwood Fiesta spec sheet shows a height of 11' 4" with AC units. In the event that I upgrade somewhere down the line, I want to make sure that I am not building in obsolescence when selecting a garage door.

Just in general terms, what are the heights of most Class A gas units these days? If I did upgrade, it would not exceed 36 -37" in length, so I am not talking about a huge rig. I am assuming that they have not got any wider over the years. My current one is listed as 8.5 wide, but the mirrors add another 17" to that.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I'd suggest. 14 foot high garage door to handle your current RV and anything you might get in the future. 12 feet is the minimum width you should install, 14 feet if your plans will allow. I have a 12 foot wide door and it is close on the mirrors. Go for 48 feet deep, you will appreciate the space. My garage contractor says he has never has a customer complain about having built a garage that was too big.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

good advice given..
Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My door is 12'x 14'
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

14 feet height. The previous owner built my Covered area 35 years ago when 12 feet was fine. Now I can't get another, newer RV in there because they all come in around 12'11" (we'll just say 13 feet!), and there's no modification that can be done short of new construction.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Give yourself 14' at a minimum. If it is a flat entrance then that should work, but if there is any angle then you will need more than that. Personally I would give myself 40' in length at a minimum also, actually I would go with 50' and have a pit on one end to do oil changes. This would also allow for the upgrade to a 45'DP later
Trust me, add the pit now, you can also use it for the cars.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
14' would be the magic number.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #8

My cover has 13' high clearance for a 12' 2" rv. I would recommend 14' if possible. My length cover is 35', rv is 30'. Wish I had gone longer, maybe 40'. Go as long as your property, aesthetics, and budget will allow.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Give yourself 14' at a minimum. If it is a flat entrance then that should work, but if there is any angle then you will need more than that. Personally I would give myself 40' in length at a minimum also, actually I would go with 50' and have a pit on one end to do oil changes. This would also allow for the upgrade to a 45'DP later
I had a client that built 50' x15' with an oil change pit and an area for his Jeep TJ, family car and his Toad towing gear. He also had room for his three motorcycles. More toys than he had time. His business office was off to one side of his garage. Sweet set up.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I agree with all of this. I store our gas MH which is almost 36' in a storage unit that is 14' high x 12.6 wide at the door with 13.6" inside walls x 50' long. Having that length gives me room at the front for tools, ladders and other equip and gear. The sides give me just enough room to set up 2 Little Giant ladders and a scaffold plank to work on the sides of the MH and some room at the back to place a step ladder to get better access to the MH ladder to get up on the roof. Having plenty of room all the way around will make taking care of your MH a whole lot easier and less frustrating.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Typical Class A gas RV height

Terry....
I would go with 12' (or14')W X 16'H for the door opening. The bay itself should be larger. Give yourself 4-5' on each side of the coach for work space and to set a ladder for roof access. Ceiling height should allow you to stand on the coach roof.
1) If it's a new construct, there's no need to make it a tight fit.
2) If/when you upgrade your circumstances and preferences may have changed. Do not rule out a DP. Newer DPs are near 13ft high out of the factory, not including add-ons like a sat dome. Added height is not a new notion. For a few years now design standards on new Interstate highway construction have required 16 ft bridge height.
3) Even if you stick with a smaller gas coach, when you ultimately sell it will be to another coach owner. Not prudent to restrict your future market to only those with older, smaller coaches.
Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #12

Yep, bigger is ALWAYS BETTER. We have a 42x96 machine shed that used to JUST fit a 40' Allegro Bus. Then DW saw the 43's and we needed to push one bay out 6'. Our doors are 16' high and 24' wide for the combine we no longer have so no problem there, but think about the rig in storage, when DW wants the slide(s) out so she can do something inside and you're working or packing outside. Basement doors are open, slide out trays out and how do you get around them? Finally, when you can just get by all that stuff, what about the shelves on the walls that hold filters, lubes, antifreeze, spare bulbs, straps, tools you don't regularly carry and, of course, the workbench. You're never TOO BIG. BTW, my coach is 12' 9" without a dome and the critical point is the rear ladder. I measured it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

Thanks, guys, for all of the great advice. I'm glad I asked the question. I spent most of the day with a measuring tape, and came up with some positives, and some not so good conclusions.

I should clarify that this is not a stand alone RV garage, it will be a complete new construction of a home and attached double garage on a 100' deep by 60' wide lot. The good news is that it looks like I can go as deep as I want with the garage (allowing for required setbacks, etc.) and higher than needed with a flat roof on a Santa Fe style home, both which will easily accommodate my current or future RV.

What is disappointing is that I originally had planned on installing one of those garage lifts in the adjoining bay so that I could park the 2 classic cars one above the other. Downloading spec sheets today on the various lifts, it appears that these things are around 9' wide post to post, so it will be impractical to squeeze one next to an RV and still have room to walk around.

I don't want to widen the garage by 6 or 8' and end up living in a hallway for a home, so it looks like the practical solution will end up being a very long 54' double garage with all 4 vehicles sitting at ground level. Will still save me a minimum of $4356 a year in storage for the two vehicles that I currently can't keep at home.

Sure would have loved the oil change pit, though!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much room do you want to walk around the hoist? My out side dimensions are 30X50 with 8"+ thick walls but I can still open the slides in the shop and walk around not the most spacious but very doable. Even with the cabinets on the wall by the hoist I can still walk by sideways and I'm 6'4.

A little background information

RV Indoor Parking

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas